Hopper with Sling - Purchase

Since the 211k was already on the account, they should not have put in a Hybrid LNB. They should have used the existing DPP LNB through a DPH42 switch instead. Actually, I am not sure if the second output on the DPH42 switch will support ViP equipment. However, the DPH42 switch can be hooked up through a DPP44 switch, which definitely will support the 211k. The point is, there is a way to do this with a single dish, and the installer should have known how to do that. Another alternative would have been for Dish to replace that 211k with a Wally (which also would have been listed as purchased, since it is an upgrade from a purchased receiver) which definitely can be hooked up through the second output of a DPH42 switch.
Tech came out yesterday and installed a Hybrid LNB. I asked why he was doing that instead of a DPH42 and he said they only do DPH42 for international. I'm happy with what he installed. He used my existing RG-6 cable that I installed 12 years ago and everything is working fine.

After the install I called the Loyalty Group to get my free OTA adapter and antenna. Since I didn't see my 211k on the mydish equipment list I asked about it. He said yes it is there, and all I have to do to activate it when tailgating is to call.

Overall a very good experience with Dish thanks to this thread. The person who took my original order said that she wasn't used to talking to people who knew so much about the equipment and the deals. Like I said earlier, I was on the phone for over 90 minutes as I negotiated offer after offer but in the end we both seemed to be happy.

Thanks to all who helped me!!

"With the announcement about reduced prices for owned equipment"

?
I just received a letter from Dish telling me my AEP increased by $5 a month. But the letter also stated they're removing the monthly fees for any purchased equipment.

Accordingly, I elected to purchase a Joey 3 to replace my leased Joey 2, my ROI will be less than a year. I expect my monthly bill will go down by a net $2.

I have an HWS and the Joey 3 is supposed to be backward compatible and a direct replacement for the Joey 2.

I just received a letter from Dish telling me my AEP increased by $5 a month. But the letter also stated they're removing the monthly fees for any purchased equipment.

Accordingly, I elected to purchase a Joey 3 to replace my leased Joey 2, my ROI will be less than a year. I expect my monthly bill will go down by a net $2.

I have an HWS and the Joey 3 is supposed to be backward compatible and a direct replacement for the Joey 2.
So, you found a Joey 3 for sale for less than $24? ($2 per month x 12 months = $24 in a year)

Also, if that net $2 includes the $5 increase plus eliminating the $7 Joey fee entirely, then that is not what Dish is actually doing. That $7 leased Joey fee would be replaced by a $5 service fee for the purchased Joey. So, a $5 increase to your programming minus the $2 Joey savings still means a net increase of $3 per month.

Reactions: TheKrell
I elected to purchase a Joey 3 to replace my leased Joey 2, my ROI will be less than a year. I expect my monthly bill will go down by a net $2.
I believe that $2 reduction is correct, but I don't see how your ROI can be less than a year. How much was your Joey 3?

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I believe that $2 reduction is correct, but I don't see how your ROI can be less than a year. How much was your Joey 3?
I paid $70 for the Joey 3 but forgot about the service fee. Without that service fee I thought I was going to save the $7 for the Joey to offset the $5 increase.

I revisited my detailed bill and didn't see anything listed as a service fee, just the monthly charges for my equipment.

1 WIRELESS JOEY RECEIVER7.00
1 JOEY RECEIVER7.00
1 5 SUPERSTATIONS 7.00
1 DISH MOVIE PACK 10.00
1 LOCAL CHANNELS 12.00
1 LOYAL CUST HOPPER DVR (REG $15) 12.00
1 AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PACK 122.99
1 TELCO BUNDLE -5.00
1 STATE/LOCAL TAXES 11.08

Obviously my ROI was a bit off but hopefully the better performing Joey 3 will remove much of the sting of my crappy math.

I revisited my detailed bill and didn't see anything listed as a service fee, just the monthly charges for my equipment.
The service fee is new, starting in January. Dish is changing the terminology they use for the fees on purchased equipment. Customers who lease their receivers will continue to see the same receiver fees they have now.

The service fee is new, starting in January. Dish is changing the terminology they use for the fees on purchased equipment. Customers who lease their receivers will continue to see the same receiver fees they have now.
So when the letter stated they're removing receiver fees on purchased receivers, they really mean beginning in January they're just renaming the fee, Is that right?

So when the letter stated they're removing receiver fees on purchased receivers, they really mean beginning in January they're just renaming the fee, Is that right?
That's pretty much it, yes. I have no inside knowledge, but my best guess is that they are doing this in order to comply with various state regulations about sales tax on leased receiver fees.

There is a note in the fine print on every Dish bill about the base package price including a $9 per month lease fee for the first receiver. For states where the entire Dish bill is not taxed (but rather only the lease fees are taxed) subscribers with leased receivers pay sales tax on that $9, even though that fee is not specifically itemized on the bill. Subscribers with purchased equipment avoid the sales tax in those states. The problem is that the fee itself is still automatically charged to every subscriber (as part of the base package) whether you actually lease your receiver or not. Since subscribers with purchased receivers are not subject to the sales tax on that lease fee, they should also not be subject to the fee itself, and the base package price should be reduced accordingly.

However, Dish does not want to have to advertise two different prices for the base package (one price if you lease, and a different price if you purchase your equipment). Dish also apparently does not want to itemize that first receiver fee as a separate line item for existing customers who are not used to seeing a fee for the first receiver on their bill. So, the solution is to give the discount to subscribers with purchased equipment, not in the form of a programming package price reduction, but rather in the form of reduced equipment fees. Dish is changing the terms they call the fees on purchased receivers, to make it clearer which fees are for leased receivers, and which fees apply to purchased receivers. This also helps avoid any confusion when calculating the sales tax, or if Dish later gets audited by those states.

they are not eliminating owned equipment service fees out of the goodness of their heart.

1608484171778.png

From the above link:
(b) Effective date.—Section 642 of the Communications Act of 1934, as added by subsection (a) of this section, shall apply beginning on the date that is 6 months after the date of the enactment of this Act. The Federal Communications Commission may grant an additional 6-month extension if the Commission finds that good cause exists for such an additional extension.

Passed the House of Representatives December 10, 2019.

So, did the FCC grant that additional 6-month extension, or have we been getting overcharged for the past six months?