Hopper with Sling S514 Update

This update has major impact on 2 Hopper household. It finally allows 2 Hopper households to see all tuners available in the household on each Hopper. We have been waiting for this integration for years. To update just one in the household is just poor SW update management. In fact, the SW download should have been sent to 2 Hopper households 1st to assist in testing the SW.
I believe very strongly that it says a lot about the number of users with OTA modules more than (1) Hopper and that is, it a tiny number and an issue like this cannot get high priority from Dish's engineering group.

I'm just stunned that I immediately used that "other Hopper's tuners" feature in the first few days. My wife, on the other hand, "how nice- now look at how it behaves when you're done watching a DVR'd program (can go to another program without exiting back to the main DVR menu screen).

When you set a timer and there is aconflict on the Hopper you are using, it will ask you if you want to record to the other Hopper. Them, I think, you can access that recording from either Hopper. I think that is what has happened on my system.

Maybe your system is too unstable to take the update.
Really? I didn't think that was possible. But I did consider that maybe trying to transfer shows from my hopper to my I-pad at night, might cause it to not update. So I did none last night and won't do any Saturday either. But Sunday I will be loading shows for Monday, so I can watch them at work. I know that during the day with my wife home , the hopper never turns off. So the only time to update is during the night between 12:00am and 06:00am. IF this keeps up I will see about calling DISH and ask them what I need to do. Might need to RMA the unit if it keeps going without the update.

There are still thousands of customers on 506. This is not uncommon. It is perfectly normal to take up to 6 weeks to get the update on all machines. This is a "non"-concern

Reactions: foghorn2
Do a Power cord reboot, might clear out the cob webs.
I've been doing a power cord reboot all most daily to be able to transfer my shows to my I-pad and still no update. I just bought this HWS a couple of months ago from www.dishdepot.com,so it is brand new . IF I don't see an update this next week, I will have to call DISH and find out if I need to RMA it or not.

Reactions: foghorn2
I've been doing a power cord reboot all most daily to be able to transfer my shows to my I-pad and still no update. I just bought this HWS a couple of months ago from www.dishdepot.com,so it is brand new . IF I don't see an update this next week, I will have to call DISH and find out if I need to RMA it or not.

Yeah, same here, let them see a whole bunch of RMA's simply because they are incompetent to properly manage firmware bugs (ota subchannel recordings bug- 4 months now! and yet they cater new firmware upgrades to those with 2 hoppers)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
So he was with misinformed or pulling our chain, or someone else was misinforming him or pulling his chain.
I have posted that comment a couple of times because sadly, some people are holding him to it, like he has any control over it. I make sure I include some sort of emoticon every time too. I'm 100% certain someone within Dish told him what he reported here. At that time, that was no doubt the plan. Dish clearly encountered some unexpected things and they did the right thing, they fixed it and continued testing. Someone didn't say, "oh no, we can't push a new update and test for another week - Scott announced that users will have the update by Friday".

Then you have users who will return their receivers because they haven't been updated. I say go for it.... Who is to say that the new receiver will be in the group of receivers to get S514 ?

Reactions: ChadT41
I received S514 a few days ago and I noticed something new. On the description of some movies the text would be cut off at the end and you could not read the rest of it. Now you can hit the page down button and read the rest of the text. I like this!

I'm still on the previous release of s/w and actually noticed that descriptions are not cut off like they used to be. I saw this with World War Z - a full, quite long description.

Are you referring to in the grid or when you hit "Info"? I'm referring to the "Info" part...

When you hit info. I have never noticed it before the last upgrade. The long descriptions were cut off at the bottom of the and you could not see the rest of it.

I'm seeing what I think is an improvement without the newest software....

IMG_20141123_163850.jpg IMG_20141123_163746.jpg

IMG_20141123_163943.jpg