Hopper with Sling sloooowww

Slow is just a small part of it, buggy and broken is the main issue. here is my "short" list (since my "upgrade"):

-PTAT now seems to only keeps 1 week, (found that one out too late)
-Netflix is pretty much unusable as it will lock up, requiring Joey to be rebooted, close captions stuck on and can't be turned off, remote becomes totally unresponsive requiring a Joey reboot.
-Can't reliably transfer to EHD
-EHD's constantly disappearing, have to reboot Hopper
-Fast forward may not work on recorded shows.
-Screen may just go black when FF a show, usually going back to live TV and back to show corrects this.
-DishAnywhere less responsive or may not work.
-Can't get live TV to come up, no tuners in use and live TV just get a blank screen, this may fix itself or a reboot may be required if you don't want to wait.
-Two hoppers no longer will schedule on second hopper if a conflict exists.
-Incomplete recordings, this was rare before ans only happened due to weather.

Improvements "Full List":
Search improved

I too am disappointed with the slowness of my HWS's due to the forced change. I would have to get 2 H3 to duplicate the setup that I presently have. Why should I be forced to pay more for something that was forced on me? The new software is a step back with the loss of the 4x speed, the loss of showing which particular satellite you are watching, timer issues & of course the slowness. Other than the slowness, these may not be significant to most, but to me it is just principal. Why should me the customer pay continual higher prices for less features. The new interface did nothing for me but cause frustration. Granted, I would like to watch the Olympics in 4k, but paying more for less just doesn't sit well with me.

I feel you. When TWC rolled out Navigator to replace Passport Echo, the existing DVRs were unusable. You had to upgrade to the more costly Whole Home (still 2-tuner) model for it to be at all acceptable. Does anyone remember when DirecTV switched people from the HR10-250 (HD Tivo) to the HR20? This is a common theme in my life, and not just with DVRs. Upgrade or suffer.

HipKat- You bring back great memories of sitting in the engine compartment of my 283 Chevy Impala and changing the fuel pump at the side of the highway! And yes, I would keep Dish if it worked better. We have been happy with Dish. I live in a rural community, and we only have one cable provider. It is also the only internet provider, locally owned. They actually have good service and excellent picture quality, and I could save $75 a month by bundling my services and have about the same channel lineup. I'll have to call Dish and see what my options are. I have read on this forum that the picture quality has improved with the Hopper 3. I don't want to switch to Direct TV, even though I am tempted every 3 weeks when I get a "great" offer from them in the mail!

Reactions: HipKat
I started with Comcast in 2011, my bill was $112 a month for their trumped up Triple Play package. By 2013 it was $269 a month and I never changed anything. I had DTV in 2009. By the time I switched to Comcast, my Bill had almost doubled, same thing - no changes in Programming. Those were great rates to start with that escalated out of control. My Bill for Dish, which I've had since 2013 - top 250, HBO, Dish Movies and Multisports has been the exact same $137 for over a year. When it does go up, I'll call them and find a promotion or something to lower it for 6 months or more. Point is, those great offers aren't static. They draw you into a 2yr contract and then the Billing games begin.

My other point is, if you'd stay with Dish anyway, why not take the upgrade to better equipment and just stay with them?

Reactions: pattykay
And It was a mistake for Dish to force the update on us. I have many friends who are upset about it. One switched to Direct, and is very happy with the PQ and the price. Another went with our local cable company and dropped Dish.

Yes, the new equipment would be nice. I did call about a year ago and received a great 6 month discount from them. Now the price is back up to 175 for the same package you have.

Whenever you have to quibble over pricing, front line support is never going to go your way. You have to get to the loyalty dept. and make sure that you focus on Equipment failure As the reason for your call and dissatisfaction. Obviously nothing is ever 100% but this is definitely the best way to go

I'm on the phone with Dish right now, and they are trying to tell me that if they send me another hopper with sling it will work just fine, as it wasn't downloaded but installed directly on the hopper. What a crock!

Reactions: navychop
I’m going batty trying to use the H1 at my sisters this afternoon. Snails move faster than this junk with the carbon UI. Crappy Windstream internet is not making me any happier waiting here today either.

This doggone new software update to my Hopper is really annoying. The menu is very slow, and connecting to the Hopper in the kitchen to play DVR recordings takes 20 seconds before it will play. The joey in the bedroom is now about worthless. I'm out of contract and am not in the mood to get the Hopper 3 and sign another 2 year contract. My wife is not happy at all. I wonder if there are any deals to be had by upgrading. If not, I might just have to go back to our local cable provider.
Swallow your Pride and upgrade

Reactions: charlesrshell
You'll be happy! The H3 is fast! Plus you'll get new 54 remotes with it

I won’t. I’m perfectly happy with my outstanding and very fast TiVo’s. Totally bummed with Dish after being a customer for 17 yrs with all owned equipment, before I left last year. They of course waited till I was gone before offering me anything.

My sister has been a Dish customer for 15 yrs and they wanted $150 last time she called to upgrade to an H3 from this crap H1 and HWS that Dish broke and made nearly unusable.

Reactions: navychop
I won’t. I’m perfectly happy with my outstanding and very fast TiVo’s. Totally bummed with Dish after being a customer for 17 yrs with all owned equipment, before I left last year. They of course waited till I was gone before offering me anything.

My sister has been a Dish customer for 15 yrs and they wanted $150 last time she called to upgrade to an H3 from this crap H1 and HWS that Dish broke and made nearly unusable.
How's your rotary dial phone working? Or did you upgrade to one of those new fangled ones with no cord and the cool antenna that telescopes out?? Did you get the free upgrade form Windows 95 to Win 2000? Oh wait, it wasn't free.

While I understand wanting to save as much money as possible, it gets to a point where I just get tired of constantly, constantly, constantly seeing people complaining that they actually had to pay to get new equipment. Especially people that add in that they're not even WITH Dish anymore.

News flash, your Hopper 2000 is a 5 year old outdated receiver that's at the end of it's life cycle. Just like that old computer that ran Windows 95 just fine with it's 2.6 GB hard drive and 8 megs of Ram couldn't keep up with the newer OS's coming out. When I upgraded to the Hopper 3, it cost me $100.00 plus $25 for a WiFi Joey. Know how much I complained about it?? I didn't. I paid it and got the newest stuff because the old stuff wasn't cutting it anymore.

That $150 bucks gets you twice the storage, over 5 times the tuners, faster processing power, more RAM and apps that the H2K couldn't run. Just like a new car with built in GPS, WiFi, SirusXM, etc and better gas mileage probably costs more than the old car that had a CD player in it.

Sorry for the rant, especially being the new guy, but every day someone here has to cry because Dish wanted them to pay for new stuff.

He was with Dish for 17 years and owned all his own equipment. His sister had been with Dish for 15 years and her receivers aren’t working properly because of the software issue. If you have a problem reading that than don’t read it. I see no problem upgrading a loyal customer for free. I own all my equipment and I recently had Comcast installed. They gave me all of my receivers For FREE. And yes I did pay to upgrade from windows 95 . And my phone is pretty cool.

How's your rotary dial phone working? Or did you upgrade to one of those new fangled ones with no cord and the cool antenna that telescopes out?? Did you get the free upgrade form Windows 95 to Win 2000? Oh wait, it wasn't free.

While I understand wanting to save as much money as possible, it gets to a point where I just get tired of constantly, constantly, constantly seeing people complaining that they actually had to pay to get new equipment. Especially people that add in that they're not even WITH Dish anymore.

News flash, your Hopper 2000 is a 5 year old outdated receiver that's at the end of it's life cycle. Just like that old computer that ran Windows 95 just fine with it's 2.6 GB hard drive and 8 megs of Ram couldn't keep up with the newer OS's coming out. When I upgraded to the Hopper 3, it cost me $100.00 plus $25 for a WiFi Joey. Know how much I complained about it?? I didn't. I paid it and got the newest stuff because the old stuff wasn't cutting it anymore.

That $150 bucks gets you twice the storage, over 5 times the tuners, faster processing power, more RAM and apps that the H2K couldn't run. Just like a new car with built in GPS, WiFi, SirusXM, etc and better gas mileage probably costs more than the old car that had a CD player in it.

Sorry for the rant, especially being the new guy, but every day someone here has to cry because Dish wanted them to pay for new stuff.

Lack of reading comprehension, no wonder you work for Dish.

My equipment and setup will put most to shame. I have no problem paying for anything when it’s warranted, but not when a company intentionally ruins the usability of their customers equipment and then expects the customer to pay to fix the company error. I’d have no customers left if I treated mine like that.

I paid a hell of a lot more than $150 for Dish equipment over the years, so go troll someone that cares. Thought you might contribute something worth reading but I see now you’re just another idiot for the ignore list.

Reactions: dishrich and Jim S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts