Hopper With Sling Software Version S328

Regression testing is the part of software development where fixes implemented in previous versions are tested to make sure they haven't regressed, i.e. been undone, by the code fixes contained in the new release. Quality regression testing is dependent on coming up with adequate tests to stress the previous bug in the context of the new release to see if it still performs up-to-snuff.

So it isn't a solution unto itself but instead a way to ensure old fixes remain working through the lifecycle of the code.

One of Murphy's Laws of Computer Programming:

"Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified"

One of Murphy's Laws of Computer Programming:

"Bugs will appear in one part of a working program when another 'unrelated' part is modified"

I understand Mr Murphy's Law. But, I would think the update could be tested and/or sent to key beta tester folks to discover any bugs that crop up before the software version is pushed out to Dish customers.

Hi I'm a noob here... and not all that knowledgeable about the tech with Hopper... but had a few Q's.

I'm having a lot of similar problems as everyone else with the new update and EHD's... trouble getting it to recognize them, trouble transferring to and from, etc. Is this something that they can fix with an update? Anybody speak to tech support? Is this something I should call and complain about so they are aware?

Really really frustrated. I have 6TB's worth among the household, and would lose it if we lost everything. lol

I'm pretty sure they are aware of the problem. DIRT reads these threads all the time and send off problem reports. What I noticed is that I can connect my EHD and I don't see a message but if I disconnect it I see the disconnected message. I then plugged it back in and waited about 30 seconds and the connected message appeared every time. I think that maybe the connected message is just taking longer than normal to appear and maybe people who are connecting their drives aren't waiting that amount of time before disconnecting the drives or rebooting the box.

Maybe someone else who is having the EHD not being recognized problem can plug it into the Hopper and give it about a minute and see if you see the connected message? If it still doesn't come up then try disconnecting the drive, does the disconnected message appear? My drive is recognized every single time now. When I disconnect it, it only takes a few seconds and the disconnected message appears. When I connect it back to the Hopper it takes about 27 seconds every time before the connected message appears. I'm interested to see if this is really a true issue or maybe just an issue with the time elapsed before the EHD is detected.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they are aware of the problem. DIRT reads these threads all the time and send off problem reports. What I noticed is that I can connect my EHD and I don't see a message but if I disconnect it I see the disconnected message. I then plugged it back in and waited about 30 seconds and the connected message appeared every time. I think that maybe the connected message is just taking longer than normal to appear and maybe people who are connecting their drives aren't waiting that amount of time before disconnecting the drives or rebooting the box.

Maybe someone else who is having the EHD not being recognized problem can plug it into the Hopper and give it about a minute and see if you see the connected message? If it still doesn't come up then try disconnecting the drive, does the disconnected message appear? My drive is recognized every single time now. When I disconnect it, it only takes a few seconds and the disconnected message appears. When I connect it back to the Hopper it takes about 27 seconds every time before the connected message appears. I'm interested to see if this is really a true issue or maybe just an issue with the time elapsed before the EHD is detected.

I have left mine plugged in for over an hour and it never shows it as connected... but if I unplug it, I get the disconnect message too. However, if I fiddle with it by plugging/unplugging/resetting... it will eventually pick it up. The biggest problem is I have yet to get it to transfer to or from the EHD. It will get all the way down to 1-2sec remaining, and then it hangs up and must be rebooted.

Is it an OTA recording you are transferring?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just my luck

A couple months ago I get a technology device that actually works well and then they do an update and mess it up. Just my luck. I've had most of the issues others describe, except I haven't had the need for an EHD yet. I had to red button one HWS 3 times last night, and one of them crashed twice. Red button was needed just to watch live tv (non ota) or recordings, I'd either get a black screen with a hung HWS, or there would be no audio, or a show was playing but the HWS was indicating it was a different show, or or or... Seemed like after red button, it would work for one show, then the next one would be messed up and then red button again! And where did the icon progress bar go for a partially watched show? I'm pretty sure that's gone.

ANOTHER BUG

I went to my Timers to change one of them. I wanted to shift it to reruns only and unlimited episodes saved.

Could not do it. I know I've done this before, but either that feature is now gone, or I'm having a major brain fart.

I was cleaning out one of my EHD's last night and noticed that episodes were all named the same with every series. Then after deleting some episodes to get the list back of the programs on the EHD I had to reselect the drive. The only plus I noticed was the recordings no longer had a record date of --/--/2106 , but they broke alot more stuff fixing that if they actually did.

My other drive I have to unplug/plugin to get it recognized. It's just unbelievable all the bugs/quirks they let slip through time after time. It's getting the point I dread an update coming cause one of these times it's going to be something serious like losing an entire EHD's worth of recordings.

Dan

I turned on my TV tonight and I had a black screen from my Hopper, no screensaver. I turned on the Hopper and I got audio, but still no video. Power cycled the TV and AVR, no change. Hit the reset button on the Hopper and now it works. Anybody else ever have this happen?

As reported in a separate thread, a week ago I turned on the TV and found the "Hopper is starting up" page. It continued forever, with an occasional dip to black and then it was back. Red button resets and pulling the AC plug didn't help. I even left it unplugged for a half hour one time. I called Dish Tech Support and they had no answer, so they sent me a new HWS. It arrived yesterday. (Because of the holiday and the weekend, it took 6 days to get here from Colorado.)

After connecting up the new HWS it came on and went through the satellite check, downloaded software and the guide, and then it needed to reboot. Oh, oh... the same problem occurred as with the older Hopper with the "Hopper is starting up" page. After seeing all of your comments about problems with the EHD, I unplugged mine. Tadaa... up came the screen signaling I could activate the receiver. I clicked on the "Activate" button on the Dish Equipment setup page and the DVR has been working great since then. All of my timers and settings were transferred from my remote to the new unit. Of course I lost all the programs that were saved on the old HWS hard drive.

Today, as a test, I plugged the EHD back in. I got no response whatsoever. I rebooted and got the "Hopper is starting up" screen again... until I pulled the USB connector for the EHD. Looks like the new software doesn't like my hard drive for some reason. It has worked fine for years on my old 622, then 722 and on the HWS... until I got the S328 upgrade. Now I'm wondering if my older HWS is actually okay. I'm not going to bother reconnecting it to find out. It'll be shipped back to Dish tomorrow with a note about the problem.

Sounds like they need to do some quick debugging of the new software where EHDs are involved!!

Larry
SF

I actually got a call from Dish today thanking me for being a valuable customer and asking how my system was working out for me. The lady I was speaking with seemed knowledgable about the Hopper so I told her about some of the issues being discussed in this thread. I don't have an EHD so I don't have those particular issues but I have been having issues with the screen going black after deleting a recording on the Hopper, it can take up to 10 seconds or more before the audio comes back and then eventually the video will return. I have also noticed that when changing between my two Hopper w/slings to view recordings that it seems to hesitate quite a bit longer before pulling up the recordings on my other Hopper. My other issue with this latest update of S328 is that of missing scheduled recordings, especially on Sunday nights I don't know what's up with that but is gotten very annoying. The lady I spoke with today got an ear full needless to say but she did say that she would definitely report my issues to the engineering department. Hopefully we all get an update Soon to fix the problems S238 brought to an otherwise great experience with the Hopper w/Sling.

I'm glad you mentioned about the missed scheduled recordings because for the first time since I got the hopper, it missed 2 scheduled recordings after this update. I'll swallow the UI changes that weren't for the better but not missed recordings.

I posted earlier on this thread I had the same problem. I unplugged the OTA Dongle, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it's been working fine since.

I actually had to hit the RED button reset on my HWS--I believe 3 times now since getting the S328 update on my OTA channels because they will drop out all of a sudden--you can be watching one--turn to a regular dish channel and turn back to the OTA and get a black screen.
I tried unplugging the OTA dongle and waiting a 10 seconds or so and get the black screen even after doing this. The only way I can get the OTA channels to come back in -is a RED button reset.
I did not have this issue until getting the software update. I received the update on 11/24 I believe.

Sounds like they need to do some quick debugging of the new software where EHDs are involved!!

Larry
SF

My EHD is still not being recognized with 238. Have rebooted with the red button, with plug, same with EHD (disconnected USB, unplugged power). It's time that Dish do their job. Please DIRT, enough is enough with this failure of an update.

I actually had to hit the RED button reset on my HWS--I believe 3 times now since getting the S328 update on my OTA channels because they will drop out all of a sudden--you can be watching one--turn to a regular dish channel and turn back to the OTA and get a black screen.
I tried unplugging the OTA dongle and waiting a 10 seconds or so and get the black screen even after doing this. The only way I can get the OTA channels to come back in -is a RED button reset.
I did not have this issue until getting the software update. I received the update on 11/24 I believe.

I guess I'm lucky. I had no OTA problems since I did the dongle reset.

My EHD is still not being recognized with 238. Have rebooted with the red button, with plug, same with EHD (disconnected USB, unplugged power). It's time that Dish do their job. Please DIRT, enough is enough with this failure of an update.

To quote Fiddler on the Roof, "Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles,"my EHD is back. Hope is stays:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts