Hopper with Sling Software Version S529 Is Here

I got S529 when my unit was reverted from the CUI and compared to my other HwS that has S528, some of the pages are a little more finessed/cleaned up/augmented style wise in the UI. It just seems to have a bit more to it which was a major missing hole from the CUI. I noticed these things cuz that's what I get paid to do and to notice.

Like what ? What pages ?
The rules (separation bars) on the pages are a little more pronounced with more of a dimensional look. Colors on the pages are more defined. There seems to be a little more dimension to the "buttons" (Main Menu) and "program pictograms". The text on the guide is a bit darker, even on my DLP with a newer bulb that is really bright. I have seen a couple pages, more along the likes of the Deleted Program page, that have a bit darker background in areas more so than the base colors that were too close to each other to show a visual variance. On the HwS that has S528 things are the old flatter more monochromatic. Just little stuff like that.

Will the Hopper w/sling get the new UI or is it only for Hopper 3?
Hopper 2k (H1), and Hopper w/Sling (H2) will both receive Carbon UI. I saw on a another site that a Dish CSR said that the new UI would be rolled out to the old Hoppers during the first week of March. I am not sure if that is accurate but take it for what its worth. That date seems likely to me anyway.

I doubt they can even guesstimate, until it's in the wild on the H3 for a while.

Hopper 2k (H1), and Hopper w/Sling (H2) will both receive Carbon UI. I saw on a another site that a Dish CSR said that the new UI would be rolled out to the old Hoppers during the first week of March. I am not sure if that is accurate but take it for what its worth. That date seems likely to me anyway.
The CSR is only speculating, mostly to tell you what you want to hear. Only when things roll out will we be able to know what is really going to happen.....

Been getting black screen with no audio, then reboot. It then goes through the acquiring signal message. When that's finished, video and audio return, along with the updating guide do not try to access timers and DVR......So when it finishes the reboot, I double click the menu to verify the software version, and notice in red letters"NONE" for the Joey software. I go to the connected Joey, and it is displaying the "attention 1303" message. This has occurred 2 or 3 times since the S529 update, and all recovers after 2 or 3 reboots.

Almost seems redundant at this point to release a new version of the current UI if they are going to release the new UI soon.

Almost seems redundant at this point to release a new version of the current UI if they are going to release the new UI soon.
My opinion: The underlying software, e.g. S528, S529, is the "core" software. The Carbon UI is just a skin/theme that runs on top of it essentially. These updates, to S528, S529, etc may be needed for back-end operation, may help the UI, etc.

Reactions: simplexswrhs90
Deleted programs were really deleted (??). They move to a "recycle bin" and their space isn't recovered until they really get deleted (automatically after ~24 hours, I think).

Well if S529 is the current core I hope they do some major work on it. The other night I hard three more in a row quick blackouts that surprisingly did not affect active recordings. The screen on the TV goes black and the audio dead, the red light on the box stayed on, the green one went on and off. No fans racing or "start up screens". The duration of the blackouts were quite short, but annoying. After things came back up the third time the audio was twice as loud, about the same level as my other devices, and I didn't have to crank up the volume on my AVR to get a good listening level. This was only for that night, since the audio level has dropped back to its old level and I really have to turn up the volume compared to my other devices. And I get a hissing sound when there is a picture on the screen. No picture, no hissing. This behavior did not start until S528.

I realize that the CUI is a skin, but would hope that the core be "newer" and more "solid" to go with the "new" H3. Oh there was a full page H3 ad in the February edition of Residential Systems magazine.

The "core" software between the Hopper 1 and 2 isn't the same as what's on the Hopper 3. They no doubt share a lot of code though.

You have a lot of issues with your Hopper, from what I've read. I don't think I've encountered any of the same as you either, so I'd look at the hardware vs software in your case.

Well if S529 is the current core I hope they do some major work on it. The other night I hard three more in a row quick blackouts that surprisingly did not affect active recordings. The screen on the TV goes black and the audio dead, the red light on the box stayed on, the green one went on and off. No fans racing or "start up screens". The duration of the blackouts were quite short, but annoying. After things came back up the third time the audio was twice as loud, about the same level as my other devices, and I didn't have to crank up the volume on my AVR to get a good listening level. This was only for that night, since the audio level has dropped back to its old level and I really have to turn up the volume compared to my other devices. And I get a hissing sound when there is a picture on the screen. No picture, no hissing. This behavior did not start until S528.

I realize that the CUI is a skin, but would hope that the core be "newer" and more "solid" to go with the "new" H3. Oh there was a full page H3 ad in the February edition of Residential Systems magazine.
See post 169. I have had a similar issue, but when mine blacked out during a recording it rebooted. I haven't experienced the increased audio.

My Family Room Hopper got 529 2 weeks ago. Bedroom one still on 528. Weird.

Haven't had any issues with 529.

Also during the Carbon experiment a few weeks ago, the Family Room one accepted the software and the Bedroom one would not.

Just some info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)