Hopper with Sling Upgrade, transfer from EHD failing

kevinsickles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
i saved many shows to the EHD on the Hopper, I have attached the EHD to the new Hopper with Sling. I can view and play the recorded shows on the EHD. Every time I try to transfer even a single show to the Hopper with SLing. The transfer fails. Not a single recording will transfer.

P.S. Thank you to the forums, I found how to restore all timers and settings to the New Hopper. The installer had no clue and I thought it was on the remote menu not the diagnostics menu. Although I did have to chase him down to get the original remote.

Additional question. How long should it take for the new Hopper with Sling to show up as connected in Dish Anywhere?

How long have you had the new one installed? Takes two to three days for Hopper to settle in.

Installed this morning, So I will let it settle. I don't know of another techno;ogy that takes a couple days to settle, very strange.

Best to leave your recordings on the EHD. No advantage to transferring them.

Aside from being able to watch them with Sling, it's also more convenient to not have to go through the machinations of switching to the EHD list rather the main DVR list every time you want to watch something.

I haven't tried moving any of my stuff from the EHD, but there have been enough people here complaining about it. I think that Dish's inability to get somethng as fundamental as this working is complete BS -- but then again, I think it's complete BS that Dish conspired with the programming providers to deny us our right to unencrypted backups of our recordings in the first place, without which bugs like this would likely not even be an issue.

We can always agree to pay more so the networks will be satisfied with allowing us to have unencrypted copies. Just for those few people who would actually have unencrypted copies. If you really want to move some special events, get a HWS and transfer over. I do beleive dish is doing the best they can, considering you have more options then any other tv provider.

I complain (to myself and now you) but I have transferred all I want of say 3000 shows and only 135 remain with problems, mostly stopping on the last transfer (0 to 6 sec) with a few not doing more that a few seconds. Given that the transfer rate is 10 to 20 times the run time means if I could cut off the last minute I would be fine--but I can't. The problem is with shows transferred out to one drive and back into the Hopper and now they won't go out to a new drive. I'm sorting them differently.
-Ken

Like many of us, I had that problem when I first got my HWS. For me, I believe it was the third or fourth day after the install before I could transfer recordings from the EHD to the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)