Hopper working with RG59 run throughout house

Burn49

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Louisiana
Had my 1 Hopper 2 Joey installation today. The technician wasn't that familiar with the new system but did say all my existing wiring is RG59 which he was told wouldn't work with the run to the Hopper. He said he could not run a new line to the Hopper and I would have to call an electrician to get it done. He said we could try and install it on the RG59 and see if there are any problem but if any problems start, again I will have to get an electrician to run a new line. We both agreed to try the installation and see what happens.

Well the installation went without any troubles and the Hopper and both Joeys were up and running in about an hour. After questioning about the HIC he got one out the truck and hooked it up also to allow network access to my Joeys. He didn't know much about the HIC but we both put our heads together and figured it out and now have network access to both Joeys.

The main question I have is should I be expecting problems in the future because of the RG59 running to my Hopper? And should I expect Dish to run a new RG6 line if I do start having problems?

It is the technicians job to run the correct coax, that is what you paid an installation fee for.
You should NOT have to call & pay for an electrician.
Send a PM to one of the DIRT members so they can get someone out to complete your install properly.

I'm glad it's working with rg 59, but you are out of specification so it breaks they can certainly point to that.

another point that has yet to be made, coaxial cable is low voltage and generally does not require permits or certified electricians to install it. the final word will be your local building codes though. I know I have done low voltage wiring myself on jobs where certified electricians were doing the main work and it always passed inspection.

in my opinion, you should definitely push for them to do the correct installation with rg 6 to the hoppers.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

It seems more likely it was an area fully finished where no 'pretty' coax could be run. At least through an outside wall and around some doorways or whatever as a temporary solution.

I dont cut into people's drywall for more than a wall plate. I'd have told the customer the same thing if it finished below and to both sides.

And, by the way, what installation fee? STANDARD installs are free.

I am fairly confident that I do not need and electrian to install that run. The new line to the Hopper is a pretty tough drop. Has to run from the solo node outside up to the attic down an interior two story wall to the Hopper. I know its possible because I had it done for my surround wiring. I was pretty sure he (or someone more qualified from Dish) should have done the drop for this install.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I will PM a DIRT member and see if they can help.

I am fairly confident that I do not need and electrian to install that run. The new line to the Hopper is a pretty tough drop. Has to run from the solo node outside up to the attic down an interior two story wall to the Hopper. I know its possible because I had it done for my surround wiring. I was pretty sure he (or someone more qualified from Dish) should have done the drop for this install.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I will PM a DIRT member and see if they can help.

That should be really easy assuming the tech brings a Magnepull.

There are a couple firebreaks (or whatever you call them, horizontal studs) and the second floor bottom plate/top plate to run through. But again it can be done and I am assuming it should have been done by the installer.

Burn49 said:
There are a couple firebreaks (or whatever you call them, horizontal studs) and the second floor bottom plate/top plate to run through. But again it can be done and I am assuming it should have been done by the installer.

This would not be included with standard installation. You could have talked to the tech about paying him for some side work. But wall fishing a wire through 2 stories with fire breaks is not included by any means.

I did ask him about running the line personally but he continued to mention an electrician. It really seems he didn't want to do it. I may end up waiting to see if i have any problems with the Hopper/Joeys. If I do have problems I know pretty good place to start trouble shooting.

I'm betting one of those joey locations would have been an easier run to the node and something the tech might have done that day. I'd have put the hopper there instead since the system is centralized and there's not much difference between the two boxes. That's basically what i did to avoid having a coax line wrap the outside in some ugly way.

This would not be included with standard installation. You could have talked to the tech about paying him for some side work. But wall fishing a wire through 2 stories with fire breaks is not included by any means.

i agree with you..if a tech had to do this, he probably would be there for awhile and maybe he would have added "custom work" to the work order...

sparc said:
I'm betting one of those joey locations would have been an easier run to the node and something the tech might have done that day. I'd have put the hopper there instead since the system is centralized and there's not much difference between the two boxes. That's basically what i did to avoid having a coax line wrap the outside in some ugly way.

+1
If you can't get the rg6 to where the hopper is just put the hopper in one of the other room that you know you can get it to. Then you will have a solid set up.
The hopper/joey system is so screwy . I would never run the hopper on 59
I wouldn't be suprized if you started seeing intermiting problems.

satelitegangster said:
+1
If you can't get the rg6 to where the hopper is just put the hopper in one of the other room that you know you can get it to. Then you will have a solid set up.
The hopper/joey system is so screwy . I would never run the hopper on 59
I wouldn't be suprized if you started seeing intermiting problems.

And the only difference in stadard functionality between a hopper and joey -for joe average- is picture in picture on hopper but not at the joey.

I wouldn't wait. The line needs to be replaced now. You may be charged a $50 custom work fee, but it is something Dish can/will do.
Really, because if I have a job like this with this much custom fishing and firebreaks, it most certainly will NOT get done and that line will go through the exterior wall into the room. Just because he pays a $50 customer w/o does not mean we do it. I do fishes all the time but I will not touch fishes like that.

knot said:
Really, because if I have a job like this with this much custom fishing and firebreaks, it most certainly will NOT get done and that line will go through the exterior wall into the room. Just because he pays a $50 customer w/o does not mean we do it. I do fishes all the time but I will not touch fishes like that.

But, fishes like that are included in that fee. Easier fishes normally do not have a fee attached. Just because you won't do it, dosen't mean a tech in his area won't.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts