Hopper2, Carbon Observations, Mixed UI Environment

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Just some observations with my experience after downloading the Carbon UI to my Hopper2's. Some of this may have been covered in other posts that I missed.

When installed on just one of the Hoppers everything seemed to work fine after installing on a 2nd Hopper everything went downhill. I'm wondering if it might be because the Carbon UI is being developed based on the Hopper3 system which would only have one unit (just a guess).

Anyway issues experienced after installing Carbon UI on 2nd Hopper.
  • Scheduled recordings recorded on the wrong Hopper.
  • Many recordings could not be played back, would get a message that there was an error accessing the file.
  • Many recordings would only record the first 2-3 minutes of a show.
  • Stored recordings would migrate from one Hopper to another.
  • Recordings would duplicate themselves and I would have multiple copies of the same recording. In one case I ended up with almost 100 copies of the same program.
  • Multiple issues with reboots during active recordings.

Ended up returning and replacing one of the Hopper2's, so I now have only one with the Carbon UI. Everything is working more or less normally now.

Only issues I now have is the UI's are apparently not compatible. The Hopper with the Carbon UI and the upgraded Joey's attached to it, while they can see the other Hopper as a source, they cannot see or access any of the recordings on it. However the Hopper with the standard UI on it can see as a source and access the recordings on the Hopper with the Carbon UI.

As you discovered, you can't mix Hoppers with the two different UIs.

I don't have two Hoppers but some of the issues you mentioned sound familiar from others reporting the same.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Sounds like my experience with 2 H2s. It's a damned if you do/don't. Either have compatibility issues or recording issues. I took one of my two offline (network wise) and they both worked great. Downside was no sling or sharing of recorded stuff.
I am anxiously awaiting the new update!

Funny thing is I only installed the Carbon UI because I bought a Hopper GO. Don't understand why dish would sell a product that required beta software to work.

The sales / marketing group picked a release date and forced it's availability whether the software was ready or not ?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I bought a HopperGo and had to download the Carbon UI for my Hopper2. I only have 1 Hopper. The #1 issue for us is how super sluggish it is. Press a remote button and wait for it to respond. Often we think the receiver didn't catch the remote command only to press the button again and then zoom past where we want to go as the receiver finally catches up. The old UI was very nimble and responsive. Miss it. But I like our HopperGo. I didn't realize the Carbon UI was in beta. When's it go out for final release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a HopperGo and had to download the Carbon UI for my Hopper2. I only have 1 Hopper. The #1 issue for us is how super sluggish it is. Press a remote button and wait for it to respond. Often we think the receiver didn't catch the remote command only to press the button again and then zoom past where we want to go as the receiver finally catches up. The old UI was very nimble and responsive. Miss it. But I like our HopperGo. I didn't realize the Carbon UI was in beta. When's it go out for final release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not upgrade to Hopper3? It's free for most and if not free for you certainly have a bargaining chip by being forced into Beta software for the HopperGo purchase.

Why not upgrade to Hopper3? It's free for most and if not free for you certainly have a bargaining chip by being forced into Beta software for the HopperGo purchase.

The 'free for most' H3 upgrades ended August 4. It's now supposed to be a minimum of $100 for everybody. That said there are deals being made from local full service retailers. :)

Just got a good deal with Solid Signal on a Voice Remote 50.0 control. Going to get ready for the new CUI with HWS that is coming soon. Wish I could of ordered from DISH but it isn't in my mydish account yet.

Reactions: JSheridan
Just got a good deal with Solid Signal on a Voice Remote 50.0 control. Going to get ready for the new CUI with HWS that is coming soon. Wish I could of ordered from DISH but it isn't in my mydish account yet.
You will like the New UI, even with its current bugs, Its still quite fun.

I would imagine this national version will be much better than what we previously used this past 7 months.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: charlesrshell
You will like the New UI, even with its current bugs, Its still quite fun.

I would imagine this national version will be much better than what we previously used this past 7 months.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Well, I had the beta version when it first came out and then it went back to the old UI. I couldn't find the Hopper temps. I hope it is there with the new version when it hits. I think the old UI is just as pretty as the new one. But I am looking forward to the HWS working faster and better more than anything and the voice remote too.

I couldn't find the Hopper temps. I hope it is there with the new version when it hits.
It's not in the current version that's out there nor is it in the Hopper 3 version (which is presumably a little newer). I'll bet you money, from Dish's viewpoint, those temperature readings aren't something that the user needs access to. Rest assured, they can see the temperatures.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's not in the current version that's out there nor is it in the Hopper 3 version (which is presumably a little newer). I'll bet you money, from Dish's viewpoint, those temperature readings aren't something that the user needs access to. Rest assured, they can see the temperatures.
Oh well, I am going to use my same HWS fans on the Hopper 3 when I upgrade to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts