Hopper3 and router speed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xyz38

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Eastern NC
I have a dual band Netgear router and the hopper connects to the low speed band.
Is there a way to make it connect to the high speed band?

Dual band routers are not about speed but about frequency, usually 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. You will see both if you try to connect to the router wirelessly, we connect our iPads and cell phones to the 5G band and everything else to the 2.4G band.

5GHz is used because the 2.4 GHz band is getting crowded, most laptops and tablets default to the 2.4GHz band.

In the wireless setup for your router you enable bands, specify the name that each band displays to potential connected devices and set the password.

If the 5GHz band is enabled it will appear on the list of wireless networks in your Hopper's wireless setup screen.

Reactions: JSheridan
I connected mine with an ethernet cable and get all the speed I need.
However when I got my new 4K TV, when I first plugged it in, it turned itself on and automatically connected to my Netgear triband router and everything it did worked fine until I got an ethernet cable long enough to connect it to the wired Network.

In my router I can set different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Just use the appropriate SSID. See if that's possible in your router.

The 5GHz band uses more bandwidth per channel than 2.4GHz, so in my house 5GHz is about twice as fast as 2.4GHz. That said, there's a LOT more interference on 2.4. My WiFi analyzer app is showing 40 different APs being heard in my front room.

My Netgear Router is model R6400V2.
The 2.4GHz band goes up to 450MBps and the 5GHz band goes up to 1300Mbps.
The Hopper3 is connected to the 2.4GHz band and sometimes has trouble downloading movies.
Is there a way to make it connect to the 5GHz band? I use it wireless, router is in same room with Hopper but on other side of room.

My Netgear Router is model R6400V2.
The 2.4GHz band goes up to 450MBps and the 5GHz band goes up to 1300Mbps.
The Hopper3 is connected to the 2.4GHz band and sometimes has trouble downloading movies.
Is there a way to make it connect to the 5GHz band?
Read post #4. That is the way to do it.

In my router I can set different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Just use the appropriate SSID. See if that's possible in your router.

The 5GHz band uses more bandwidth per channel than 2.4GHz, so in my house 5GHz is about twice as fast as 2.4GHz. That said, there's a LOT more interference on 2.4. My WiFi analyzer app is showing 40 different APs being heard in my front room.

How can I check the SSID and change it if necessary?

You need to get logged on to your WiFi router with your browser. It's usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. I hope you remembered the username and password. It may be on the bottom of the router.

Look for the WiFi setup screen. I have a Tenda router, but you should see something like this:
upload_2018-9-4_20-27-41.png

Just make sure you have unique SSIDs for the two bands. The passwords can be the same. Apply the change and reboot the router.

Then go to the WiFi setup in the TV and make sure you use the SSID for the 5GHz band.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have the exact same router.

Simply enable both bands in the router setup, be sure the bands have different names (SSID's), the password can be the same.

Then go to the wireless setup on your receiver and select the SSID that corresponds to the name of the 5GHz band, enter the password and your are connected.

I have a dual band Netgear router and the hopper connects to the low speed band.

I wouldn't assume 5GHz is better. It depends on a number of factors. It may be that the 2.4GHz band is providing a better signal than the 5 GHz band. How far away is your router from your Hopper? 2.4GHz signal goes through walls better and goes further in open air.

Also, are you located in a dense housing area? Do you have any 2.4GHz cordless phones or baby monitors in the house?

Thanks for the help,
The SSID's were already different and the passwords were the same.
When the Hopper was set up by the tech that installed it, we used the push button on the router to connect it and the Hopper chose the 2.4GHz band. I did not know that at the time. Now it is on the 5GHz band. I used the SSID and password to set it up last night and chose the 5GHz band.

Sure there is. Keep in mind that the 2.4 ghz band is slower but has greater range. Where as the 5 ghz band has faster speed but less range.
On a Netgear router go to a web browser & type in Router login .
When prompted to log in unless you have changed these settings the default is:
User: admin
Password: password
Keep in mind this is different than your wireless log in.
Look for the wireless tab on left & click on it.
On your 2.4 ghz SSID change it to
"something 2G"
On your 5 ghz SSID change it to
"something 5G"
That way you can tell which band you are logging into.
You can use same password if you choose. Make sure you choose WPA 2 as your security.
Now go back to your Hopper's wireless setup & log into "something 5G".
If you need further help then let us know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)