Hopper3 gets confused playing recording on second Hopper3

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I have two Hopper3 receivers and a Joey2. In the past I could play recordings from the remote Hopper3 by selecting it under DVR sources. Recently, I have found that both Hopper3 receivers will play a wrong recording from the remote Hopper3.
I recorded several Hallmark movies (channel 185) on my Living Room Hopper3 and several different Hallmark movies on my Family Room Hopper3. All of the movies will play correctly when viewed on the Hopper3 that they were recorded on. However, when I try to play a movie on the Remote Hopper3 it will play a program from PTAT. This used to work correctly. This confusion happens on both Hopper3 receivers and my Joey2.

Example: On my Living Room Hopper3 I select Hopper3 Family Room. I select a Hallmark movie "Sharing Christmas" recorded 12/14/17. When I select it the correct description shows up. When I select play, "Dateline NBC" recorded by PTAT on 12/9/17 from 9-10 PM is the program that plays. When I hit stop the dialog box shows "Sharing Christmas" on Hallmark channel. Different movies give different PTAT shows. This happens on both Hopper3 receivers. My software version on both is U506.

I have verified this action with multiple programs recorded on both Hopper3 receivers. Yet my earlier recordings play correctly. Dish technical support logged into my Family Room receiver and was able to verify the problem. The Dish technical support reported the problem to engineering.

Are anyone with 2 Hopper3 receivers seeing this problem?

I have found a solution that will allow my Hopper3 to play the correct recording on my remote Hopper3. Both of my Hopper3 receivers have software version U507.

1) Under sources I select the remote Hopper3 (example - select Living Room when viewing from the Family Room).
2) Select a program on the Remote Hopper3.
3) if I select Resume or Start Over, it will play a wrong program from PTAT.
4) However if I select the Recordings tab at the top of the screen and high lite the episode, it will play the correct program.

Now, I just need to demonstrate this to the Dish technical support so that they can get the engineering staff to fix the software bug.

By the way, I looked at the Dish protection plans. I subscribe to the Dish Protect Silver plan for $8.99 per month. They offer a Gold Protection plan which includes a Tech advisor for $12.99 and a Platinum Dish Protect plan which includes a Platinum Tech advisor for $24.99. When I talked to technical support previously they offered me a technical advisor if I would upgrade my protection plan. At the time I declined. I am tempted to pay for the additional assistance if it would allow me to get the Dish engineers to fix some of the Hopper3 bugs.

I still have the following problems with my systems:

1) Hopper3 plays the wrong program from a remote Hopper3. Of course I have found a work around.
2) it requires 2 attempts to play a program on the external drive. It is not related to the external drive going to sleep.
3) Alexa can successfully link to my Dish account but will not Discover my two Hopper3 and Joey2 receiver. I have linked and unlinked the activation many times but still can not discover my receivers. Yet Dish Anywhere works well with my two Hopper3 receivers.
4) I still get break-ups and pixelation on my Joey2 when watching an OTA channel from either of my Hopper3 receivers. I do not get the break-ups when watching on the Hopper3 receiver. I am using the original single tuner OTA tuner on both Hopper3 receivers. I stopped using the new dual OTA tuners since they are much less sensitive (10 less channels) and generate tremendous heat ( it gets to hot to hold). The break-ups occur on channels that have 100% signal strength.

Reactions: navychop
Here's the overview on Gold and Platinum.
Capture.JPG

Just a thought on your Alexa, which may or may not matter, but if you go to Menu\Settings\Remote Control, the top entry is where you name your room. Are they named or do they just have the default Enter Name in there? I know my Dot gave me my choices by Room Name (Living Room, Master Bedroom). (For the record, following our techs, I see that most do not set the room names here, which to me is pretty vital when using the Whole Home features).

Again, it may not even matter, but just a thought

Here's the overview on Gold and Platinum. View attachment 129881

Just a thought on your Alexa, which may or may not matter, but if you go to Menu\Settings\Remote Control, the top entry is where you name your room. Are they named or do they just have the default Enter Name in there? I know my Dot gave me my choices by Room Name (Living Room, Master Bedroom). (For the record, following our techs, I see that most do not set the room names here, which to me is pretty vital when using the Whole Home features).

Again, it may not even matter, but just a thought

Yes, I have named all of the receivers using the Dish menus. Alexa originally worked with my two original Hopper3 receivers. Both of my Hopper3 receivers were replaced by Dish due to MOCA problems that occurred after Digita Dish moved my Dish due to line of site issues with satellite 129. The replacement Dish default name was Living Room 2 and Family Room 2. When I would try to discover the new Hopper3 receivers, a list of Family Room and Living Room would show up. Of course those were not the correct receivers. I finally found the old names in the Alexa app under Smart Home Devices. I deleted those Devices since they were referring to my original Hopper3 receivers. I then renamed my replacement Hopper3 receivers to Living Room and Family Room using the Dish menu. The new names match in the Dish Anywhere app. However, the Alexa app can not discover the new Hopper3 receivers. I still suspect thatAlexa or.Dish has a database that refers to my original receivers. Since Dish Anywhere works and the names match, I suspect the problem is with Google Alexa but they insist that Dish needs to do the support.

I should also mention that the Dish Music app works with all of my Hopper3 and Joey2 receivers. It finds each of the speaker groups. That is why I think that the problem is with Alexa and not Dish. Unfortunately, they say that Dish must offer the support.

It appears that U241 and U242 messed up the ability to play recordings on a remote hopper for those who have 2 hoppers. Hopefully dish will fix this.

Thanks for this post. I thought I was losing it. Neither Hopper would play the correct video (Hopper 1 & Hopper 2). Your workaround helps. We may move to a single H3 next year (although I’d love 2 H3’s because I like having my own DVR) and your solution is great until we pull the trigger.

Maggie

Reactions: bobvick
I have two Hopper3 receivers and a Joey2. In the past I could play recordings from the remote Hopper3 by selecting it under DVR sources. Recently, I have found that both Hopper3 receivers will play a wrong recording from the remote Hopper3.
I recorded several Hallmark movies (channel 185) on my Living Room Hopper3 and several different Hallmark movies on my Family Room Hopper3. All of the movies will play correctly when viewed on the Hopper3 that they were recorded on. However, when I try to play a movie on the Remote Hopper3 it will play a program from PTAT. This used to work correctly. This confusion happens on both Hopper3 receivers and my Joey2.

Example: On my Living Room Hopper3 I select Hopper3 Family Room. I select a Hallmark movie "Sharing Christmas" recorded 12/14/17. When I select it the correct description shows up. When I select play, "Dateline NBC" recorded by PTAT on 12/9/17 from 9-10 PM is the program that plays. When I hit stop the dialog box shows "Sharing Christmas" on Hallmark channel. Different movies give different PTAT shows. This happens on both Hopper3 receivers. My software version on both is U506.

I have verified this action with multiple programs recorded on both Hopper3 receivers. Yet my earlier recordings play correctly. Dish technical support logged into my Family Room receiver and was able to verify the problem. The Dish technical support reported the problem to engineering.

Are anyone with 2 Hopper3 receivers seeing this problem?

2 Hopper with Sling, same problem. The problem only occurs on shows recorded on the Hallmark channel.

I'm having this same issue on my two Hoppers with Sling's. But it does it on almost all of my recent recordings. Older recordings do not seem to be affected. I hope they get it fixed soon it's annoying trying to watch something off the other Hopper and it's not the right recording. I'm also having an issue where recordings are being deleted without anyone deleting them. Luckily I catch it in the trash and can restore it before it's too late.

I have two Hopper 3's and have the same problem, basically I can't view anything recorded on one Hopper from the other, although it doesn't fail in the reverse. They viewed it and said they are going to fix it...it worked a few days ago then stopped working. I am new to Dish...are these software problems with their equipment normal? they seem to send out a software fix and break something else. This is a pretty significant issue. You select one recorded program and something else shows up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)