Hopper3 Update taking out External Hard Drives

jr1965

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
US
We lost all 4 EHD the day of the U331 update on Hopper3. How many others and can anybody help with this?

i lost 3 external drives also this issue needs to be addressed quickly a software roll back or something i had years of shows on the drives. i tried all the resets the unplugging the moving around the usb i even tried 1 drive at a time. NOTHING gets the hopper to recognize the drives anymore.

When you say taken out what do you mean. I have one attached and it works fine. I mean I haven't tried to watch a program from it yet, but it is listed in DVR folder and I can access it and see all the shows I have saved to it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

it just doesn't register for me meaning the icon that shows external devices arn't there anymore. the hard drives power up and you can hear them spinning but the hopper does not do the normal " you have a usb device attached" it's like nothing is connected to the hopper .

All 4 EXD are un-usable. When plugging into any usb port they flash like booting up but don't appear in DVR menu. 3 different brands ;Toshiba,WD and Seagate. All went unrecognizable that day at the same time- Oct 21 5pm when U331 was installed in Hopper 3. I have tried everything listed on forums and suggested by Dish,tried all usb ports,rebooted,shut off and unplugged for 10 min., reset, re-loaded software. NOTHING -works years of recording gone-8TB.
Another new Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim (no ext power block-runs on USB power-thats why I didn't use it) that I had formatted months ago with Hopper3 but had not used at all-nothing on it-comes right up in the DVR menu-sources and I was able to copy movie to it and watch the movie so it appears the Hopper3 and usb ports are working fine.
So all 4 drives I was using (2 at a time) have been rendered un-usable on the day of the update. All these had been working fine for up to 1.5 yrs.
Have read many reports of this after the update U331so far on this forum and others but no solutions yet.
Dish says it not their problem because they are and external device. That's why I switched from DTV to the Dish Hopper2 then 3 to be able to use the EXD's but didn't expect this.

Its not taking out the drives it's simply not recognizing them. My 500 GB drive still "works" but my other larger drive with 599 episodes of the Simpsons does not.
Not all drives/users are affected by this problem

I just want to be certain, is everybody not seeing their EHDs looking in the Sources folder, or is that folder missing...

Its not taking out the drives it's simply not recognizing them. My 500 GB drive still "works" but my other larger drive with 599 episodes of the Simpsons does not.
Not all drives/users are affected by this problem
Yes I agree. Do you have a solution to get them to be recognized? I just re-formated another xtra 2tb drive in Win 10 on the PC and the Hopper3 recognized it and is formatting it right now. But I dont want to do that to the 4 drives that are now unusable and loose all the years of recordings.
Thanks

The sources folder in the DVR menu only comes up when you plug in a USB drive and it is recognized and they show up as External drive 1 and external drive 2 in the folder along with Hopper3 drive to transfer and watch the videos.
These drives that are unusable don't show up at all and neither does the sources folder.
The drives that were not being used during the U331 update such as the new drive I just formatted show up and work just fine.

I just want to be certain, is everybody not seeing their EHDs looking in the Sources folder, or is that folder missing...

No, it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone. Just had to do a RBR to get my 3rd EHD to show up, but that's a problem I've had prior to U331, and it's a crap-shoot as to which/how many EHDs are listed in Sources at any particular time. A RBR usually fixes things . . . for a while.

By any chance are the disappearing EHD enclosures using USB 2.0 by any chance? Mu USB 3.0 2 TB EHD is reading programs with no problems. It was originally formatted with a ViP 722k. though, not a Hopper.

My 4 drives aren't enclosures they are regular desktop USB external drives, work on 3.0.or 2.0. Any with shows before the update can't be recognized.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine worked fine and was available the night before the last update. I've tried all suggestions from this site but ehd is not accessible since the last update. I called Dish, the lady said many have reported issue & would add me to that list. I told her what had tried, she had no new suggestions. Disappointing!

My 4 drives aren't enclosures they are regular desktop USB external drives, work on 3.0.or 2.0. Any with shows before the update can't be recognized.

Enclosure or not, they will all go through a small circuit board that interfaces the USB with the SATA. If you can find one that works, you can swap the bare drive with the same connection and it should work.

Enclosure or not, they will all go through a small circuit board that interfaces the USB with the SATA. If you can find one that works, you can swap the bare drive with the same connection and it should work.
We shouldn't need to replace something that was working before to get it to work again. DISH needs to fix whatever they changed that screwed thing up!!!!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
We shouldn't need to replace something that was working before to get it to work again. DISH needs to fix whatever they changed that screwed thing up!!!!!
True, but in the meantime, if you want to try to access your content while waiting for a fix, if it works as others have reported, it may be worth the effort.

Last edited:
I would like to access the videos as a last resort even if I have to buy a HD SATA to USB dock for future use but from my experience in computer networking the account permissions would be stored in the operating system software on the drive so I don't get how changing the hardware interface would help. Dish needs to remove the U331 patch or reset the permissions and fix what they messed up. That's why we had a team of software people test every MS update before we pushed them out to the users PCS in our network.

Now my 3tb HGST drive is not working with my H3. When connected thru my Sabrent enclosure nothing happens. When connected thru a Rosewill adapter, the H3 will recognize it but it prompts me to re-format the drive if I want to use it. It already has a bunch of movies that I dont want to lose!
My 1TB WD drive still works with the H3 thru the Sabrent or the Rosewill adapters. The 1TB drive is the one that was connected when the U331 update was installed so maybe that could have something to do with it. Dish needs to provide a list of EHDs that are approved\confirmed to work....sigh.

No one said you had to replace anything but this is how you troubleshoot to determine if it's the drive or it's the controller. It sounds simple to fix but remember how many different models of controllers there are, there would be no way they can test it and they don't have a way to basically do a diagnostic log so that's one way to find out where the problem lies. Remember, everyone of us has different setups. I mean atleast your drive was working on the H3. Beats trying to get a Hopper 2000 drive which is 100% full of unwatched recordings and it doesn't work at all and that was the method that works. DISH takes forever to fix things as we all learned as you can report a problem but unless all external drives stop working, they will really not know what they need to do to fix it as everyone has a different configuration. I mean you can always wait for them to fix it but it may never be fixed or you can always just visit a store, buy a USB to SATA Adapter from somewhere that has a full return policy so if it works, you know it's the controller and if it doesn't, then it can just mean that controller is also not compatible or it's something else. No one is telling you to replace anything, it's called trying to fix things by trial and error by playing around with different things for a working solution to the problem until DISH fixes it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)