Hopper3 Update taking out External Hard Drives

Well, I have the same problem. I can guarantee nothing has changed as I've been away for 3 weeks. I get home and the H3 does not recognize 4 EHD's from 500GB old WD to 2TB versions. No cables changed, nothing touched, no cable moved from any H3 USB port. I unplugged and replugged. The funny thing is that on the drive that is connected, the light comes on and it definitely looks like the H3 is reading the drive as the activity continues for 1 minute. Also, the drive access light will blink every minute or so. So my guess is that the display of the External Drives folder and trigger to display them is busted.

Wife keeps all her movies on the external drives. Super low WAF factor right now.
I assume from this thread that someone at Dish knows.

Well, I have the same problem. I can guarantee nothing has changed as I've been away for 3 weeks. I get home and the H3 does not recognize 4 EHD's from 500GB old WD to 2TB versions. No cables changed, nothing touched, no cable moved from any H3 USB port. I unplugged and replugged. The funny thing is that on the drive that is connected, the light comes on and it definitely looks like the H3 is reading the drive as the activity continues for 1 minute. Also, the drive access light will blink every minute or so. So my guess is that the display of the External Drives folder and trigger to display them is busted.

Wife keeps all her movies on the external drives. Super low WAF factor right now.
I assume from this thread that someone at Dish knows.

The light coming on has nothing to do with the drive actually talking to the Hopper 3. Even in my case, the one that was recognized in earlier firmware but never worked or showed all recordings was different in U331. In U331, the Hopper 3 when you power on the drive, the Hopper doesn't acknowledge the drive at all. When I use the USB to SATA controller that works under U331, I will get a on screen notification with a code of 852 that says External Device plugged in and then it will work. If you don't even see the 852 code, then the Hopper 3 is not seeing the drive or there is something with the communications that is broken. DISH already responded in the other thread in post #24 http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/hopper-3-external-drives-have-disappeared.364712/ except the part no one likes is they will not provide updates about the issue even though they are well aware of it.

I mean until they actually let the people who say there is a problem actually work with them in providing data to them like getting information from the Hopper 3's of the people who have the problems, it will not be a easy fix as DISH will only support the drives that they recommend and even for WD drives, there can be different revisions of the drives itself and they can always change the controllers used as WD and any other external HD manufacturer only says the drives will work with Windows or Mac OS and nothing else. Not to mention, the same exact model external HD can be different even for WD as even for the 2TB drive. there are some with a bigger box made in Malaysia and there are some with a smaller box made in Thailand. Assuming you can get ahold of a Unitek Y-3322 USB to SATA adapter cable, all 4 of your drives will work like it did before as it provides power so you will not be using the existing enclosure with the USB to SATA circuitry and power supply. They really need to ask the customers who have non-working drives for help in troubleshooting the exact cause why it's not working and then work on the remedy because I have had the issue of certain controllers not working as a EHD with the Hopper 3 ever since February 7, 2016 or roughly 9 days since the Hopper 3 has been out and before, when it didn't work, atleast the Hopper 3 still saw the EHD, it was just unable to display all recordings and playback any recordings but now with that same USB to SATA Docking Station, the Hopper 3 does not even detect it.

Last edited:
Got the new H3 installed with several "hits"-pre U331 EHDs still don't work. The new H3 did fix some other older problems like corrupt menus and lockups. Post U331 EHDs still work fine. I'm going to try your controller idea next. Almighty1 is the Unitek Y-3322 the one to try. Have you had a dual dock that works? Dish says they are working on a fix.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just saw this thread and it answered for me the reason why all but one of my external drives "disappeared". I hooked the other two drives up to an old 722 that I had laying around the house and was able to view content off of it with no issues, so it obviously isn't a drive issue.

I had called Dish Monday afternoon to do some troubleshooting, but nothing worked and they shipped out a new H3 which arrived to me yesterday. Everything that was on the "old" H3 was moved over to the one working 2TB hard drive and I'll set up the new system tomorrow. We'll see what happens once the 331 update is taken. I might leave all of the drives offline until that happens and then see what the end result is.