Hopper3

BradleyD

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I finally got my H3 and a Joey2.0 installed a few weeks ago. I started at the end of November 2015 getting ready for it. I needed to switch to EA to get local HD channels.

It took a long time because of the amount of work needed and I would go a long time in between work sessions. I had to locate the pole about 100 feet from the house to get a clear view for now and the future for 61.5 and 72.7 and even 77 if it ever becomes necessary for my location (That location won't ever work for the WA). I rented a trencher and hired a couple of guys for a morning and got that done pretty easily. I only went down around 6 inches because the polypipe I used is fine down to 0F and I live in East Tennesse where air temperature almost never gets that low and when it does, it is only for a few hours over night so the ground temp doesn't get even close to that.

The big deal was going underneath a sidewalk which is about 4 feet wide with a 2-1/2 block high retaining wall on 1 side. I had to make 3 attempts sledge hammering a 2-3/8 inch stainless fence post to get under because of a footer for the block that was probably about 1 foot deep. I didn't think it would ever be that deep, but the house was built in the 40's so it was back when things were built to last. I worked on that for a long time because I only worked at it once in awhile. Also, the polypipe is only so flexible and getting it to curve up a little bit after going through the fence post took some time since I only dug into that hillside by he sidewalk as much as was needed and I had to push/pull the polypipe through by myself.

After that, I waited for a good bit of time before burying my polypipe. I chose 1-1/4 inch outer diameter because I knew I would only need 1 RG6 for 2 hoppers at most. That poly has plenty of room for another cable and I know I won't ever need more than 2 even though it would accept more.

I used paracord in the poly pipe for bringing the coax through and put PVC ends at the house and pole to protect from weed eaters. I did not cement the caps so I can remove them if necessary. The caps were drilled for the coax to come through and I got duct seal to seal around the holes.

Finally, I got the installer over here around the last week of May. The coax came through pretty easily and we attached another string of paracord for future possibilities. I had bought a box to mount the hybrid hub because it is in a location on the side of the house where some holly tree branches might get up against the hub. Distance to the main tv is about 147 feet and the to the other about 158 feet.

I had drilled the anchors myself since I was coming from a different direction and I also wanted to clean up the wiring for cable internet which was coming from the old direction.

The set up went pretty well although it took some time.

I want to thank the forum for help with questions while I was preparing to get set up, especially people like navychop, Scherrman, and ChadT.

I like the setup and I believe that the picture is sharper than even the 722K. In fact, I think the locals are just as sharp as my ota antenna. I only have a 1080 32 inch right now and that may be why. I am planning on getting a 50 inch 1080 set relatively soon, but think the picture will be just fine. I thought about a 4K set, but I don't see a need for it since 1080 looks great and I don't do DVD, Bluray, etc.

I have been getting accustomed to using the 52 remote, but it is taking some time. I would like a lit remote so I think I will try the touchscreen model when it comes out.

The interface is pretty nice. I am getting used to it.

I did have rain fade for a few minutes a couple of times because of pretty heavy Tstorms. What was weird about at least one time was that I lost 72.7 and kept 61.5 even though 72.7 typically seems to have a little bit higher signal according to the H3. I did level the pole as best I could and it is only hair off of true.

I don't know how peaked the installer set the dish and I see levels in the 50's (usually high) and 60's on the sats so I will ask these questions....

1. What signal levels should I look for on 61.5 and 72.7?

2. What particular (if any) transponders should I use to get an idea of signal strength?

Without getting into specific transponders on 61.5 and 72.7, it sounds like you are well above the minimum signal threshold and are peaked properly for an eastern arc install.

If you must know, however, I'll typically see this :

61.5x5= 50-55
61.5x7=50-55
61.5x10=61-66
61.5x12=50-55

72.7x12=45-50
72.7x16=45-50
72.7x17=55-60
72.7x21=55-60

I guess I made a mistake above so I will give the correction here since I do not have an edit button in case anyone is ever searching for conduit sizes...

The inner diameter of the pipe is 1-1/4.

I checked the transponders listed by jc1975 and get the following...

61.5x5= 50-55 >> 58
61.5x7=50-55 >> 56
61.5x10=61-66 >> 61
61.5x12=50-55 >> 53

72.7x12=45-50 >> 59
72.7x16=45-50 >> 58
72.7x17=55-60 >> 62
72.7x21=55-60 >> 61

My locals are on 61.5 transponder 25 (spotbeam 7) and I get 51 which I guess is pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts