Hopping off the Hopper Zone?

I'd much rather buy my equipment and not have monthly fees. I think the issue is that the guide providers, and possibly the content providers (why are these two different entities?) charge Dish a per outlet fee. So, even if you bring your own device, Dish still gets hit with the additional outlet fees, which they ever so kindly pass along to us. Now, I'm sure Dish also make decent coin off this as well. The current pricing and content model will collapse, just a matter of when.
That may be true, at least on a satellite end. With Comcast, if you use just the basic digital converter box from them, you don't pay per tv. If you use their "premium" box or DVR box you do. I am not 100% aware if you can own your box with comcast or not. My issue has never been with leasing the box. It's ok if you are leasing the box for $$ a month, and if something happens to it they fix it because it's leased. I know these are two different models, but cable internet is the best example. You have two choices. You pay $10 extra a month to "rent" a cable modem, and when something happens to that modem, they replace it. OR you pay $100 one time to buy your own modem, save the $10 a month, and if something happens to the modem it's on you.

I see on ebay now a hopper and 2 joeys for $360. You pay $10 for the hopper and $7 for each Joey, so $34 a month. Over the course of 2 years that is $816. Also, $34 a month can be the difference between 140 channels and 200 channels. I would personally buy my own equipment to save that money. It would pay for its self in about 11 months. But since Dish still charges you the $34 a month no matter if you own the equipment or not, then it's pointless to own the equipment, and should just put a policy in place that you can't own your own equipment. Or allow people to save the money if they want to purchase their own equipment.

Don't all providers do that? I believe I recall having an additional fee for each cable box that I had with cable and I believe Direct TV charges for additional boxes as well, even if they are purchased. Maybe someone who knows for certain can confirm or correct me.
I can't speak on Direct, I do know on Comcast the simple digital converter boxes you don't pay per tv. You pay for your service. I have never brought my own box to comcast, and with u-verse they wouldn't allow you to BYOD.

I'd wager that most people that bring their own box bring a Tivo, which has it's own montly fee, which is mainly just for the guide. Granted, you can pay a large sum upfront for a lifetime sub, but you're still paying for guide data. I bet as those old digital converter boxes on cable get replaced, they'll have fees. You think comcast wants to leave money on the table?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts