Hose On Rain Repellent?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimstrickland

Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
My DirecTV installer instructed me to apply Rain-X to my satellite dish every 4 months to prevent signal loss during storms. Unfortunately, he installed the dish on the top of the roof, thus requiring an extension ladder. I don't have an extension ladder, the money to purchase one, or a place to safely keep one. Does anyone know of an alternative that can be applied by attaching to a garden hose and spraying on the satellite?

jimstrickland said:
My DirecTV installer instructed me to apply Rain-X to my satellite dish every 4 months to prevent signal loss during storms. Unfortunately, he installed the dish on the top of the roof, thus requiring an extension ladder. I don't have an extension ladder, the money to purchase one, or a place to safely keep one. Does anyone know of an alternative that can be applied by attaching to a garden hose and spraying on the satellite?

I wouldn,t worry about spraying anything on dish. He must have stock in Rain-X

Rain-X will not be of much help on a stationary item like a dish. Rain-X is made for windshields to allow the wind to blow the rain off so you don't need the wipers but you need to be going over 15 miles per hour to have it work. Don't waist your time trying to put it on your dish.

You shouldn't be losing signal with rain unless it is coming down really hard. What signal strengths are you getting in good weather?

Reactions: Jimbo
dgordo said:
You shouldn't be losing signal with rain unless it is coming down really hard. What signal strengths are you getting in good weather?

I don't know how to tell the exact strength, but it seems good in fair weather and light rain. It is mainly during heavy rain that we lose the signal, it just seems that after the satellite was installed it could hold the signal in even some major storms.

Would using a good hose on car wash or window wash to get any collected dirt and grime be of any benefit?

If you lose your signal with moderately heavy rain it is not peaked correctly. The rain that causes signal loss is all therain between the dish and the satellite WAY up in space. If you are loosing signal insist that the installer come out and peak the dish signal. Do not agree to pay for this service. If installed within 90 days you have more of a right for them to come fix it etc. I install satellite dishes. I installed my own in the Seattle area. I have NEVER lost signal due to rain. Good luck.

So...I take it that the general consensus is that rain repellent is of no use to the satellite dish? Does that hold true of using some type of cleaner to wash off dirt and grime? Where we live, while I have a clear shot to the skies, there are still a lot of sweet gum trees and oak trees. The sweet gum trees give off sap and black grime that seems to get in the most unbelievable places. Would general maintenance, like cleaning 3 or 4 times a year make any kind of difference with the satellite dish, or can the signal get through all of that grime with no problem?

ClemSole said:
Rain-X will not be of much help on a stationary item like a dish. Rain-X is made for windshields to allow the wind to blow the rain off so you don't need the wipers but you need to be going over 15 miles per hour to have it work. Don't waist your time trying to put it on your dish.
I disagree , rain is great . i put it on my dish over a year ago and 6 months ago, it worked well the rain just washes the dish down. although with your dish being on the roof and trouble getting to it it wont help you. this will not help with signal issues, if you are not getting a good signal then there are other issues, The rain ex keeps the dirt off of the dish also snow in the winter and most of all bird droppings are just washed away with a hose, it works well but my problem was more of an aesthetic thing because the dish is in plain view and the bird droppings and tree sap were unsightly.

I put rain-x on my dish thinking it would shed rain quicker, but checking, it out the water formed large droplets on the surface, these also froze in cold weather, not helping signal strenght at all. Washed off the rain-x and everything was good.

It is not the rain that hits the dish that blocks the signal at times, but the drops that are still in the clouds in a direct path between your dish and the satellite. I sometimes will get rain fade just before or just after a hard rain.

Chris Freeland said:
It is not the rain that hits the dish that blocks the signal at times, but the drops that are still in the clouds in a direct path between your dish and the satellite. I sometimes will get rain fade just before or just after a hard rain.
Rainex will certinly not help with that. What are your signal strengths? do you need to be repeaked? i think you are looking for a quick fix when you really need to have the dish repeaked or have another issue altogether.

Chris Freeland said:
I'll echo that... I live outside New Orleans, and when it rains here... it RAINS! We lose our signal just before the waterworks start, as whatever high level moisture passes our line of sight, but we usually get our signal back during the rainfall. If you have that much rain-x to spare, put some on your driver's and passenger windows.... it's fun to watch the water trails as you roll down the highway.... :bounce

Guys, Dish covers are available for about $30-$40 at American Satellite.Com. and other online SAt sites. That might help but it won't stop the bird poop! lol I've read it helps with rain fade. Don't know if thats true or not. Just a thought.

Covers might help with snow but not rain. They also provide birds and insects a sheltered nesting ground so watch out.

we've had satellite for over 5 years and have never washed or even wiped it off , have never lost sig. because of rain on the dish ,
We've have lost the sig because off a bad storm and heavy clouds & heavy Rain and the sig. cant get to the dish.
Water on the dish will not stop the sig
The dish bounces the sig. to the cone ,
The only thing that will stop the sig. is SNOW on the dish or a build up of ice & snow, then you need a broom or ? to get the snow off.
and if you live where there is a lot of snow have them put the dish where you can reach it, We have ours about 4 ft off the ground where i can get to it
Bob
AZ
yes we get snow in AZ

Reactions: pattykay
PAINT ON DISH WON'T HELP OR HURT
the dish is just the reflector to the LNB, the LNB receives the signal
A lot of R V ers take there dish to Mexico and have them Paint a Picture Or scene on it off of a photo
In Mexico there is a lot of artist who paint pictures on canvas,saws & Satellite dishes using nothing but cans of Spray Paint & a small peace of cardboard to move the paint around
You would not belive the picture they paint with a spray can.
bob
az

Reactions: pattykay
If you do anything to your dish, such as applying rain-x to prevent rain fade, your wasting your time. Rain fade is cause by moisture/rain but it happens when the thunderstorm is between your dish antenna and the satellite, not by water droplets on the dish. 90 percent of the time when we have rain fade, it's not even raining yet on the dish, it's just the signal can't blast through the thunderstorm thats between you and the satellite. Now rain-x or a wax to prevent snow from building up on your dish is another story. Snow buildup will cause loss of signal if it gets thick enough.

Here is a link to an article on rain fade.

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/rain_fade_about.asp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)