Not open for further replies.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
Video Catches Hospitals Dumping Patients On Skid Row
Hospital Sorry For Patient Dumping

LOS ANGELES -- A videocamera recorded a 63-year-old hospital patient dressed only in a gown and slippers being dumped onto a skid row street -- a controversial practice that has come under fire from police, politicians and homeless advocates.

Officials from Kaiser Permanente's Bellflower hospital apologized for the incident, which occurred Monday and was revealed by authorities during a Wednesday news conference.

The videotape, recorded by a camera mounted outside the downtown Union Rescue Mission, shows a taxicab making a U-turn and driving out of camera view. Moments later, a woman appears from the direction of the cab, wandering for about three minutes on a street and a sidewalk before mission staff take her inside the building.

"I'm just concerned about a society that would drop its most vulnerable onto the streets of skid row," said the mission's president, Andy Bales, who witnessed the incident. "It really troubles me."

The patient, Carol Ann Reyes of Gardena, said in an interview that she could not remember what happened when she left the hospital, where she had been a patient for three days, or how she got to skid row.

Los Angeles police Capt. Andrew Smith said he believes she was taken there against her will.

City Councilwoman Jan Perry described the episode as "egregious."

Diana Bonta, vice president of public affairs for Kaiser Southern California, said the incident violated hospital policy and would not occur again.

The issue of dumping people released from jails and hospitals onto skid row surfaced in September, when Smith publicly complained about it.

The city attorney's office is investigating and may criminally charge or sue hospitals that drop off patients against their will, officials said.

where the hell are they supposed to dump them..........BEVERLY FREAKIN HILLS?????????????????????:devil:

GaryPen said:
Ummm. They're not supposed to dump them anywhere. Or, did that thought not even occur to you?

she was treated and released, they paid her cab fare! sorry gary, i forgot who i was talking to.

no they should have taken her to freakin MACYS bought her a wardrobe, given her a $2000 debit card and set her up in a nice apartment.:rolleyes:

gary, it is a HOSPITAL, not the welfare agency, not a shelter and not a flop-house. she obviously doesnt live in beverly hills, they sent her home, TO SKID ROW, SO!!!??:eek:

Sounds like they dropped her off at the Mission. I don't think the Hospital should supply her with a free room. Where else should they have brought her? They could have just tossed her out onto the sidewalk like a drunk from the tavern.

naw thiggin,

according to gary the LIB, she has the right to set up housekeeping in the OR, get free laundry, free drugs and free meals........hey wait, that is WELFARE, so what is the difference??

Hmm, dumping them on the street doesn't sound very liberal/democrat like of them. Are we sure this is still California, where according to most, a driver's license is a god-given right and the gov't can't take it away no matter what you do?

thiggin2 said:
Sounds like they dropped her off at the Mission. I don't think the Hospital should supply her with a free room. Where else should they have brought her? They could have just tossed her out onto the sidewalk like a drunk from the tavern.

I agree with you. Sounds like she was dropped at the mission with a free cab ride at that. Don't really see a big issue here.

I've never used the ignore feature before on this or any forum. But you people are just over the deep end. Selfish. Inconsiderate. Angry little minds. For people who obviously believe very strongly in heaven, you're gonna have a hard time at check-in. Good luck with all that.

gary, dont go yet, hell vurbano and charper arent here yet.

LOL

little minds??? gary, go out and get her, the poor woman. she needs a lib like you to drain DRY!

GaryPen said:
I've never used the ignore feature before on this or any forum. But you people are just over the deep end. Selfish. Inconsiderate. Angry little minds. For people who obviously believe very strongly in heaven, you're gonna have a hard time at check-in. Good luck with all that.

I think one issue here is we are arguing about something we really don't have all the facts about. If this was some type of criminal or inappropriate act by the hospital then something should be done. If it is just a case of a person who received some treatment and was then taken to a shelter because they have no where else to go that is another matter. The hospital is not a hotel-another charity, shelter or whatever should take over. But let's not assume it was an improper act without the facts.

And I am not angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts