Hot Stove Baseball 2021-22

Proponents of the bastardized AL game always say they don’t want to see teh 9th best hitter hit.

Of course, this misses the point totally.

First, then why do you want to see the 8th best hitter hit? Or the 7th? Or anybody except the best? Why mess around with batting lineups, just have the best hitter up all the time, like in cricket.

But more importantly, the damage to the game the DH causes has nothing to do with that. It totally removes all the strategy. An AL manager can really just take a nap for the first 6 innings, and then swap pitchers after that, with no regard to its effect on the batting line up.

And, the Babe played real baseball. Like everyone did for 100 years.

Reactions: Radioguy41
Proponents of the bastardized AL game always say they don’t want to see teh 9th best hitter hit.

First, then why do you want to see the 8th best hitter hit? Or the 7th? Or anybody except the best? Why mess around with batting lineups, just have the best hitter up all the time, like in cricket.

But more importantly, the damage to the game the DH causes has nothing to do with that. It totally removes all the strategy. An AL manager can really just take a nap for the first 6 innings, and then swap pitchers after that, with no regard to its effect on the batting line up.

See another baseball fan who gets lost in their own mind....No one would ever argue that having a player(pitcher) that cant hit their weight adds to strategies you wont get in the AL.....Baseball is ever changing, like short relief, long relief, the closer...
Now I have played way to much ball and same with coaching at very high levels! If years ago you could give me a DH I would of been all over it....Now for the most part they are older players....I know what I would do...

I had many of great players who were great hitter, fast, but couldnt field worth a crap....Or they would throw to the wrong base, or just a crap arm....Now you give me the opportunity to add another leadoff guy?....Man that would make it hard to defend....It would be more like women's softball, get em on, get em over, and get em in!..............Baseball will always change and Im all for it....I would of loved to have the opportunity to actually have 9 hitters in my rotation!

Now the old coots that think nothing has ever changed in baseball its funny....You just wait and see what a creative manager does!

I am 100% with you. People who don't understand how the DH affects the strategy of the game negatively don't really understand the game. I'm in my eighties, I've played the game, I've coached the game, I've studied the game, and I've consulted on the game, and I hate the DH. It's nothing more than a made up position for guys who can't really play the game and the worst part is those wannabes end up accumulatng stats that make it appear they are eligible for the HOF. Nah! If all you can do is hit but not run or throw or catch then you don't belong in the game, go play golf where all you have to do is hit the ball.

Reactions: SamCdbs
The loss of the NL playing baseball at the superior level is sad.

What is odd is in the context of the “lock out” is this is a gift to the players, as a DH is generally a fat old player well past the rookie contract system; while the complete ball player he is taking the spot of is going to still be under the control of the team. Why give the players something for nothing?
You have an outstanding view of the DH ...
They may have been that way when it all started, but not All DH's are old and fat ....

Reactions: AZ.
On another note, regarding rules ....
I can go either way with the DH, but I think the time has come for both leagues to play by the same rules ...
Now,
Has anyone found any info on if they will change the Extra Inning rules where they play a pretend I'm 5 years old again by putting players on base automatically ....
The lets get the game over by putting someone on 2nd base is just plain stupid. That takes away more from the game than the DH.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I can go either way with the DH, but I think the time has come for both leagues to play by the same rules ...
Now,
Has anyone found any info on if they will change the Extra Inning rules where they play a pretend I'm 5 years old again by putting players on base automatically ....
The lets get the game over by putting someone on 2nd base is just plain stupid. That takes away more from the game than the DH.
I thought I had read after season it was going to go back to normal?...Yea that rule didnt help the game or make it more exiting....You could have the slowest guy sitting on second or the fastest....never even got good reasoning other than get the game over faster.

Now,
No more designated runner this season, whenever they end up starting.....

Extra inning rules go back to normal this season.

As for the DH. The national league is the only league left in all of international baseball that doesn’t have it.

Reactions: Jimbo and AZ.
I thought I had read after season it was going to go back to normal?...Yea that rule didnt help the game or make it more exiting....You could have the slowest guy sitting on second or the fastest....never even got good reasoning other than get the game over faster.
Many times, the extra guy did NOT make it a faster resolution !

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)