Hot Topic for Dish Network

Doctor Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Riverside, California
Here is an interesting article about a Dish Network Dealer, that should turn out to be interesting...

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/city/2_1_AU07_SANDWICH_S1.htm

Police send satellite TV issue to attorney general

By Matt Hanley
STAFF WRITER

SANDWICH - Police are working with the Attorney General's Office to investigate a complaint that a satellite TV installation company was misleading consumers about the price of switching from cable to Dish Network.

According to Police Chief Richard Olson, an elderly Sandwich resident received a flier in the mail offering to change her television service from cable to satellite television "starting at just $19.99". After the installation, the customer ended being billed $49.99 before tax, according to the contract.

Besides the higher-than-expected installation price, the customer said the worker came to her house at 8 p.m., and was on the roof until midnight. He also asked for $79 cash to complete additional installation, said the customer, who is in her 80s. "I think it was a case of the old bait-and-switch," Olson said. "It's something we're looking into with the Attorney General's Office.

We're just trying to get a handle on what happened because it seems unusual."
After three days, the woman eventually cancelled the service and was charged a $250 cancellation fee as specified in her contract. However, she says she has been unable to get an explanation why she was charged an additional $184, she said. "Actually, I only had Dish for three days," she said. "I thought it was a bit expensive for three days even if I was a stupid old lady for signing up."
Peter Jovanovic, an installation manager for Dish Communications, denied that anything inappropriate occurred.

"No one pulled a fast one on her; this is ridiculous," Jovanovic said. "That's all in the small print down there. "It's all valid - she had a contractual obligation," he said. "It's in black in white. There's not a lot a whole lot else I can do for her, to be honest,"

A spokesman for Dish Network corporate offices said that the $250 customer's cancellation fee had been refunded, which the customer confirmed late last week. The other charges are a dispute with Dish Communications and the local subcontractor who handled the installation, said Heather Black of Dish Network.
"Basically, this is a third-party issue," said Black. "On (the customer's) end with us, we're good."

At this point, no one has been charged, and it is not clear anything illegal occurred. However, Olson recommended that minor investigation by consumers can help avoid difficult situations. Olson said a consumer should always know where the office of a business is located, and they should not be afraid to ask for - and check up on - references where the company has done work before.
Anyone who has received a flier or had contact with the company is asked to call police at (815) 786-7261.

Thats pritty close to where I live... I have never heard of these guys... Usally in this area its all DNS.. or a local subcontractor named "the Shoppe who does some crappy work. Theres also one more big one that does work down here, but thats not them. I hope the DNS pulles there contract after that one.

What a messed up story. Still trying to figure out how $19.99 escalated into $49. Perhaps the refundable $49 coming into play? Either way, I still think Dish is in the clear and, as the article stated, this is a 3rd-party issue.

webbydude said:
What a messed up story. Still trying to figure out how $19.99 escalated into $49. Perhaps the refundable $49 coming into play? Either way, I still think Dish is in the clear and, as the article stated, this is a 3rd-party issue.

I expect that Dish wasn't directly involved either but it's also a known fact that Dish screws a lot of their dealers over and often hires installers that don't know the first thing about what they're doing.

If nothing else, Dish needs to get a better handle on who they have representing them in the field because even if they're legally clear, they do have a moral responsability for the people they allow to represent them.

waltinvt said:
I expect that Dish wasn't directly involved either but it's also a known fact that Dish screws a lot of their dealers over and often hires installers that don't know the first thing about what they're doing.

If nothing else, Dish needs to get a better handle on who they have representing them in the field because even if they're legally clear, they do have a moral responsability for the people they allow to represent them.

I think we all agree, with the premise that Both E* & D* need to get a better handle on who represents them, but the truth is, that cost a lot of money, and neither Company is willing to spend what it really takes to solve the problems...

The are closely emulating the Cable Companies now... RONTGLMAO

Sounds like some disclosures as to what the $19.99 fee was for and what she was actually paying for whether it was the monthly fee or upfront fee. It can all get very confusing. Some will mislead though, including Dish Network themselves, sometimes by accident if somebody was not informed correctly.

Though I do know that there are companies that are very misleading out there, I know, and everyone else out there that installs knows that there are alot of older people out there that either don't take the time to research what they are getting into or they are told but don't hear it or don't remember what the exact details where. I've installed many older people's systems that got very upset over stuff like extra receiver fees, lease fees, and/or dual tuner receiver fee's for not having a phone line hooked up to it. I've said it many times and I stand by it still, people over 80 have no business getting satellite or digital cable. They need to stick with analog cable. Turn the tv on and turn the channel. Thats about all that needs to be involved. Its not there fault. They never grew up with technology like this. I will say this my granddad pleaded with me for a year wanting satellite but i said no because he's 87 and I thought there was no way he would ever understand. Lo and behold it took him about a hour to learn everything and know he's watching the news one minute on ch. 13 local channel and the next minute he's watching titties and ass on cinemax!!!!

87. Good genes. Think you'll be begging a grandkid for the holosuite?

I have an 88 year old neighbor who got direct tv and the installer (a year or so ago)
spent 5 minutes explaining the system - I spent an hour and a half telling him how to change channels (no, no charge for the help) and he still doesn't really understand;
and he built his own radio set in the 1920's (not stupid).

My grandfather took at least 6 months to learn his D* system in 1997, and he was a pipeline engineer.

As an installer, I have had old people roll their eyes at me while I am trying to show them the remote. That pisses me off, because none of the other installers fo our company spend as much time on Customer Ed as I do. That's why I like dish movers. They already know how to use the dang remote!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)