Houston Astros on hot water over illegally stealing signs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes I'm glad they fired him now rather than let the team create the usual distractions once the season started. The evidence seems clear that he was neck deep in it and did not get disciplined for the sole reason that he was a player and not management. You know the NY media was not going to let this go and probably the Philly media and Washington media and they play those teams a lot. It's over now let's move on. The Mets can now find other more wholesome ways to disappoint us now!!:biggrin

Reactions: Sean Mota
The main reason I hate the pitcher hitting is the higher risk of pitcher injury.

Could you please list the, I am sure many dozens, of injuries to pitchers when hitting.

Fact is the DH is a dumb idea. It serves no purpose other than to keep some limited, fat old has-been in baseball at the expense of a complete player, and allow guys without managerial skills to be manager, as with the DH, the manager can pretty much not show up until the 7th inning. With idiot Manfred’s new 3 batter rule, I could train a dog to manage.

Yes I'm glad they fired him now rather than let the team create the usual distractions once the season started. The evidence seems clear that he was neck deep in it and did not get disciplined for the sole reason that he was a player and not management. You know the NY media was not going to let this go and probably the Philly media and Washington media and they play those teams a lot. It's over now let's move on. The Mets can now find other more wholesome ways to disappoint us now!!:biggrin
I'm not so sure its over ...

You can bet that other teams are going to try to find something the Entitled Yankees have done as well.

Could you please list the, I am sure many dozens, of injuries to pitchers when hitting.

Fact is the DH is a dumb idea. It serves no purpose other than to keep some limited, fat old has-been in baseball at the expense of a complete player, and allow guys without managerial skills to be manager, as with the DH, the manager can pretty much not show up until the 7th inning. With idiot Manfred’s new 3 batter rule, I could train a dog to manage.
I think your WAY off base on your definition of a DH ...

MANY DH's are capable of playing the field and NOT FAT OLD HAS BEENS ...

I took it he meant the pitcher was able to play beyond his Prime.

For those up in arms over the Astros "Cheating" MEDIA ....

They are referring to the year they Won the WS, that was 2017 ...

I'm sure the media never looked at thier record that year .... :eeek

The Astros won 101 games.

They only won 48 games that year at Home (which is where all this happened )
48-33 - thats 15 games over .500.
While most teams would be thrilled with that record ...

The Astros were much better on the ROAD ...
53-28 - thats 25 game OVER .500 .

So, they played MUCH BETTER on the road ...
Without thier "cheating" help.

Btw, 2018 was much the same, played better on the road.

Do you REALLY enjoy the pitcher standing there with a bat ?
The majority use to be able to hit, but not in the higher up leagues ...
Yes, there are a few that swing well, but that would be about 10% or less.
Actually I do, because from time to time, we have a pitcher that can actually hit the ball. Plus it allows a good manager to shine late in the game when they have to make decisions about when to pull the pitcher or do a double swap.

If you don't want the pitcher to hit, just reduce the batting order to 8 instead of 9. There is no good reason to have someone who only comes to the plate 3 or 4 times in a game and doesn't participate in the field.

Exactly the point. Defenders of the bastardized game always use the “I don’t want to see the pitcher bat, he’s not that good” meme. This is, of course, not the point at all. Who is the worst position player on the team? Why should he have to bat? How about the next worst? Really you only need four batters, right? And why should they have to play the field, if they are not good at it? Just have an offensive team of four batters and a defensive team.

In the pure game, the rules are simple, but the game is complex. Double switch; pull the pitcher or not; etc. In the bastardized game, just send a guy out until he tires, and replace him with a succession of pre-programmed relievers. With idiot Manfred’s new 3 batters per pitcher rule, yet more simplistic.

Some people understand that things that are not broken do not need fixed.

Reactions: Derwin0
Do you REALLY enjoy the pitcher standing there with a bat ?
The majority use to be able to hit, but not in the higher up leagues ...
Yes, there are a few that swing well, but that would be about 10% or less.
I for one would like to get rid of the DH. My main purpose is because with the DH you have no retaliation against the pitcher that hits one of the opposite team players. At least in the National League you have. Also while we're at it get rid of the shift period.

I don't like the fact that if I got a pitcher thats dominating and an inning comes up that looks promising, you got to potentially take him out ... in the AL, the dominating pitcher stays in the game.
Thats why I prefer the DH.

Anyway....back on topic:

It looks like players are starting to apologize for their involvement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like the fact that if I got a pitcher thats dominating and an inning comes up that looks promising, you got to potentially take him out ... in the AL, the dominating pitcher stays in the game.
Thats why I prefer the DH.

Didn’t happen that often for guys like Tom Seaver. From Wikipedia:

In 1971, Seaver led the league in earned run average (1.76) and strikeouts (289 in 286 innings) while going 20–10. However, he finished second in the Cy Young balloting to Ferguson Jenkins of the Chicago Cubs, due to Jenkins' league-leading 24 wins, 325 innings pitched, and exceptional control numbers.[18]

Seaver had four more 20-win seasons (20 in 1971, 21 in 1972, 22 in 1975, and 21 in 1977). He won two more Cy Young Awards (1973 and 1975, both with the Mets). During his tenure with the Mets, Seaver made 108 starts in which he pitched nine or more innings and allowed one run or less. His record in those starts was 93–3 with 12 no-decisions. In seven of the 12 no-decisions, he pitched 10 or more innings. In the 12 no-decisions, he pitched a total of 117 innings, allowing 56 hits and five earned runs, compiling a 0.38 ERA.

Put me in the no DH column. Love the purity of the way it used to be.

Didn’t happen that often for guys like Tom Seaver. From Wikipedia:

In 1971, Seaver led the league in earned run average (1.76) and strikeouts (289 in 286 innings) while going 20–10. However, he finished second in the Cy Young balloting to Ferguson Jenkins of the Chicago Cubs, due to Jenkins' league-leading 24 wins, 325 innings pitched, and exceptional control numbers.[18]

Seaver had four more 20-win seasons (20 in 1971, 21 in 1972, 22 in 1975, and 21 in 1977). He won two more Cy Young Awards (1973 and 1975, both with the Mets). During his tenure with the Mets, Seaver made 108 starts in which he pitched nine or more innings and allowed one run or less. His record in those starts was 93–3 with 12 no-decisions. In seven of the 12 no-decisions, he pitched 10 or more innings. In the 12 no-decisions, he pitched a total of 117 innings, allowing 56 hits and five earned runs, compiling a 0.38 ERA.

Put me in the no DH column. Love the purity of the way it used to be.
You do realize that the DH didn't start until '73, right.

Managers called games WAY different back then, its a easy call to leave them in back then.
Now days if you give up a hit they pull you.

Exactly the point. Defenders of the bastardized game always use the “I don’t want to see the pitcher bat, he’s not that good” meme. This is, of course, not the point at all. Who is the worst position player on the team? Why should he have to bat? How about the next worst? Really you only need four batters, right? And why should they have to play the field, if they are not good at it? Just have an offensive team of four batters and a defensive team.

In the pure game, the rules are simple, but the game is complex. Double switch; pull the pitcher or not; etc. In the bastardized game, just send a guy out until he tires, and replace him with a succession of pre-programmed relievers. With idiot Manfred’s new 3 batters per pitcher rule, yet more simplistic.

Some people understand that things that are not broken do not need fixed.
Perhaps you aren't familiar with the DH rule. The DH can hit for anyone in the lineup, not just the pitcher.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)