Houston Floods & my Wally

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I evacuated but reports say my house got water and lots of it. If this is in fact true, will Dish replace the Wally just like if it had gone bad? Thanks.

I don't see why not. I'm sure Dish has options for severe weather events. I know I've replaced equipment after customers have had fires and that was specified in the notes

Sorry to hear about your house. I didn't evacuate and I'm questioning my decision after learning that we may have three more days of this rain.

I don't know the answer to your question, but flood insurance will cover it if DISH does not.

Of course, as soon as you call Dish, the CSR is going to bring up which Dish insurance plan you have, if any.

Also, very sorry to hear about you guys that are dealing with this storm.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I believe that damage to Dish equipment is the homeowner's responsibility, i.e. if damaged in a fire your homeowner's insurance covers it after deductible.

Hope you have flood insurance.

If it got wet, best bet is to open the box up, remove the hard drive and flush the motherboard with deionized water and then thoroughly dry it for at least 24 hours - then hope it still works

Reactions: TheKrell
If it were me I'd dry it out real good, when the time comes just say it quit working.

Kind of like explaining a deer collision. You didn't hit the deer, the deer hit you.

I believe that damage to Dish equipment is the homeowner's responsibility, i.e. if damaged in a fire your homeowner's insurance covers it after deductible.

Hope you have flood insurance.

If it got wet, best bet is to open the box up, remove the hard drive and flush the motherboard with deionized water and then thoroughly dry it for at least 24 hours - then hope it still works

If it’s owned. Otherwise opening it voids warranty and lease agreement. Of course if it’s wet and turned on it would be fried and still be homeowners responsibility. Either way I would contact Dish first.

With most insurance companies, you are lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for all your damages. When Ivan struck Pensacola, I had $40,000 in damages and the insurance company paid me $18,000 and dropped me with in a year.

They had a hurricane in Illinois?
A number of years ago we had a derecho here, straight line winds of 100+, which did a lot of damage over a narrow path. Initially the news called it an "inland hurricane", but when some lesser insurance companies used that as an excuse to pay nothing, they changed terminology.

With most insurance companies, you are lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for all your damages. When Ivan struck Pensacola, I had $40,000 in damages and the insurance company paid me $18,000 and dropped me with in a year.
I t depends upon the language of your policy.
Preface..I used to work in an insurance related industry.
Restoration..
The typical homeowner's insurance policy covers fire and casualty.
Depending upon location, additional coverage is either available or mandatory.
For example, if a home has a mortgage and is located in a coastal area or FEMA Flood Plain, flood insurance is required by the lender
For hurricane, wind, wind driven rain, this also is a separate item that may be added at the discretion of the owner OR, by state or federal mandate.
Many instances where insureds misunderstand the language of their policy. When a loss is incurred, they are often shocked at the settlement amount.
of course the homeowner automatically thinks they are being "ripped off".
In the case of those in the Harvey affected area, homes not covered for flood, will receive no settlement from their carrier. Additionally, FEMA will offer Individual Assistance. However pay tv equipment and anything not deemed essential is not covered by FEMA...

Reactions: littlecloud319
Well too late now, but my standard procedure regarding expensive electronics when evacuation is necessary would be to either take it with me, or make sure it's safely stored away. In the case of potential flooding this would mean on the upper floors of the house or at least on top of a tall cabinet or other furniture. Past that, let the insurance figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts