rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
For years there's been the ongoing battle who's better, E* or D*. With the hopefully soon to launch new HD channels on D* and E*'s upcoming totally MPEG4 DBS system I can see this battle continuing for years to come. It was decided that there should be a Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD War Zone to there would be a place for folks to battle so why not do the same thing for D* vs. E*???? Might be a nice way to keep the fan boys/girls for each service provider out of the other providers forums;)

Ya, with HDDVD/Blu Ray there is a lot of press and it's really up to the public to come and support one.

With D* and E* there's a lot of posturing there too, but the launches and HD rollouts will come, late or otherwise, there isn't a questions of dominance or a format at stake, just who's subscribers will be happier.

I could argue it both ways I guess, but with D* and E* it will be concrete facts that are being argued, not potential. D*'s HD plans will be coming to fruition, late or not.

With the other War Zone, you're bickering over potential and press, not facts for the most part.

- 2 cents.

Maybe it would be a good forum next year once both systems are in place and a comparison can be made. But, in reality I think both systems are going to be pretty close. There are only so many vendors of MPEG-4 equipment, their compression will probably be very close. The current controversy over HD-Lite will hopefully go away on both systems.

rad said:
Might be a nice way to keep the fan boys/girls for each service provider out of the other providers forums
And our own! There are some who won't put the pompoms down long enough to see any problems or that some of the complaints just might have some validity.

Listen to Scott.

To tell you the truth, I've had my fill of "fan-boy" forums, i.e. BluRay vs HD-DVD.

Just give me the facts without the "my dad can beat up your dad" debate rhetoric.

Wouldn't follow it because when these threads come up, it always seems to boil down to what D* promises in the future vs. what E* has today. Makes no sense. It's not the subscribers at fault but the way D* advertises. If E* would play D*'s game then we could have fair threads on who makes the biggest boasts of what they will be like in the future. :) Does that really matter? For me, it's what I see when I turn on the system today.

If it wasnt for the hatfields and mccoy fueding the directv forum would be about empty and only get a post once a month :D

Thanks

Thanks for doing this. Hopefully it will make the other forums less 'tense' with all the chest thumping that's been going on.

Last edited:
Wouldn't follow it because when these threads come up, it always seems to boil down to what D* promises in the future vs. what E* has today. Makes no sense. It's not the subscribers at fault but the way D* advertises. If E* would play D*'s game then we could have fair threads on who makes the biggest boasts of what they will be like in the future. :) Does that really matter? For me, it's what I see when I turn on the system today.

Sure, who cares about what is being turned on next week? No big deal that the sat should be ready to go and the HD landscape will be changed forever, :rolleyes:
we as D* subcribers didn't need to know any future plans. We didn't need to get ready and update equipment so we could receive the MPEG4 channels. No need for the heads up.

FlyingJ - you know its truly funny - the 2 sides of this debate have like no common ground.

From the D* sub side - seems like most of us ALREADY are happy with the offering (including the HD offering) that we get. Yeah, maybe its because we have some channels you can't get on DISH (like YES, or NFL, or whatever). For others, the sheer number of channels EITHER one has doesn't matter that much. For others it could be as simple as getting DNS, or HD lils, or anything else.

It is the people on the other team (the ones that DON'T EVEN get the service) that seem to have the most complaints about DirecTV. I find that strange really.

I don't mind one iota that DISH has MORE HD channels. Why, because, I have no real interest in the content most of those channels provide. I never watch HGTV in SD, so why would having it in HD matter to me? I don't care for KUNG FU, so why would I pay for it? Yeah, the DISH crowd will think that I am knocking them, but I am NOT. It is MY programming preference and NOTHING else that has me at D*.

If I wanted those other channels I would either switch or at least get BOTH as some already have. I read with interest (yes I have interest) in what DISH is doing, what FiOS is doing, and what the cablecos are doing. But I don't rag about the things I feel that the others do that is shady or deceitful in my eyes. I don't pay for their services, so I could give a rats A$$ about it.

I support my provider, if I didn't I would change to one that I would then support. I didn't stay with D* because of their much ballyhooed HD plan from 2004. I stayed with them because they have the channels I want (and DISH simply doesn't offer). I have followed the progress of that plan however, and I think they are doing a great job of driving the HD initiative for ALL the others. Another reason why I don't understand the whining by the other sides.

Since this is the beginning of what could become a D* vs E* section, I would like to officially state that anyone that tells me that my service is not as good for ME than their service would be for ME is a weenie!:eek: Now damn it, I am busy, I have 14 cable and E* subs coming over on Sunday to watch two games that they can't get, but I guarantee you a couple of them tell me that I should have their service!:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)