How about this "Voomers": Dish about to expand their HD pack 25%!

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
They are about to add TNT HD to HD channels pack so it'll have total 5 channels, up from 4. Still, it gives 25% increase, right? :D

Not really true.
Full HD for me with Dish would be:
HDNet, HDMovies, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, TNT-HD, PPV HD, Events/NBA HD, Demo HD, CBS-HD
That is a total of 11 channels. Thus really adding 1 to current 10 = 10%!!!!!!

Now if you factor in OTA HD that I get (PBS x 2, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX), you need to add another 6 channels.
Thus, I really have 17 HD channels via my Dish 921 :)

It is true, according to their web site. Their HD pack is only 4 channels - for others you have to pay extra.

If MY hd provider added 1 channel it would be a whopping increase of 3%. actually it would be a tad smaller but who can do that kiond of math in thier head?? oh wait 1:38 = x/100 --- its 2.6% GEE I GUESS UNTIL VOOM ADDS 10 CHANNELS AT ONCE, I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO BOAST ABOUT 25% INCREASES. Oh well, I wonder whats on MONSTERS.

Tahoerob said:
Not really true.
Full HD for me with Dish would be:
HDNet, HDMovies, Discovery HD, ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, TNT-HD, PPV HD, Events/NBA HD, Demo HD, CBS-HD
That is a total of 11 channels. Thus really adding 1 to current 10 = 10%!!!!!!

Now if you factor in OTA HD that I get (PBS x 2, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX), you need to add another 6 channels.
Thus, I really have 17 HD channels via my Dish 921 :)
You count the demo channel , interesting, and also you count cbs twice- cbs-hd through dish and throught ota. Good math man. With that kind of math im sure i get about 70 channels through voom

Keep in mind that TNT-HD, PPV-HD, and Events/NBA-HD all share the same transponder, and Dish is probably only going to do two at any given time. In other words, when they do a HD Events or NBA-HD program, they'll likely take away the HD-PPV. Thus, the net gain at any given time is zero, although it is an improvement in the sense that TNT-HD will be on all time, compared to HD Events, which was rarely used.

I was in Wal-mart and overheard a teenage salesperson telling a customer that if they want HD satellite, they should go with Dish since all of their channels are now HD. How could I possibly keep quiet? I told them that Dish has the least number of HD channels, and that if they really want HD they should only look at Voom. It sometimes amazes me the information that salespeople are willing to make up just to impress customers...

Since you were in Wal-Mart, I would say that the sales guy just didn't know. Digital satellite (cable) signal for most people is still the same as HDTV, unfortunately. A lot of satellite installers do not know difference between the two either. That is why HDTV is taking over slower than initially predicted - people are uninformed.

Of course Dish has not released TNT-HD to the subscriber pool... They have not said a word about it publicly. Just some "engineers" have observed this on a test channel. It is quite possible that VOOM could release TNT-HD the exact same time that Dish does, and they have just done a better job of keeping it quite....

Actually a adding one channel to make 5 would be a 20% increase. I think you wll see Dish and Directv adding HD top channels before voom does.

Walmart!!!! thats where Voom needs to advertise. They have some HD sets for sale, show people how good HD can look.

Let me see Starz-HD, TMC-HD, Cinemax-HD, Encore-HD, Bravo-HD+, are still missing in action from their line up and don't come to me with the "compelling content" excuse that C. Ergen has come up with.

rexoverbey said:
I will too 'cause voom won't be around.

I do not know if at this point VOOM will make it or not. I will always said time will tell. However, the persistent failure of VOOM by a few can only mean one thing -- the failure of HD. It is so easy to say "Voom is doom" but what we fail to realize is that "Voom is doom" = "HD is doom".

The success of VOOM can only be good for HD enthusiasts. It brings competition to the table and gives other providers cable or satellite incentive to get into competition.

Sean Mota said:
I do not know if at this point VOOM will make it or not. I will always said time will tell. However, the persistent failure of VOOM by a few can only mean one thing -- the failure of HD. It is so easy to say "Voom is doom" but what we fail to realize is that "Voom is doom" = "HD is doom".

The success of VOOM can only be good for HD enthusiasts. It brings competition to the table and gives other providers cable or satellite incentive to get into competition.

If Voom does not make it, it is not the end of HD, it will be a major setback, but HD will live on. VOOM could just be too early, they could become the primestar/unity in motion (or whatever that sat company was).

Having a failing VOOM just limping along is probably worse for HD since D*/E* just look at the lack of interest in the HD and say well we can add this market of LIL and get more subs than VOOM has all together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)