How about a third possibility for the silence?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Speculation/Rumor:

An extension until the end of month until there's a better plan... (I am taking the fifth and won't say more) :D

(The above has all sort of implications ---> so fire away)

Disclaimer: This is an speculation/rumor ONLY.

Interesting thought and very possible. Although many members are likely to have a heart attack by then.

Something this complex can not be solved overnight anyway so lets enjoy Voom for as long as we have it and hope it somehow survives.

While no news may not be good news in the long run it is better than the alternatives.

I think if they do that, they shoot themselves in the head. WIthout definitieve word soon subs will bail, and orders won't happen.

Hi:
Wouldn't that cost Cablevision at least 50 Million? Maybe if Charles is willing to pay VOOM's expenses for the one month extension. Other than that I don't think it will happen.

jnardone said:
Hi:
Wouldn't that cost Cablevision at least 50 Million? Maybe if Charles is willing to pay VOOM's expenses for the one month extension. Other than that I don't think it will happen.

Not just that, but what about the stock prices, for the big share holders ( even Mr.Dolan ) this could cost them a "little".

As of now:
CVC Last: 28.85 Change: -0.44 -1.50%

And check this out:

About 2.4 million Time Warner Cable customers in the New York metropolitan area were expected to lose access to Knicks games and Mets preseason games at midnight yesterday because of a pricing dispute with Cablevision, which owns the MSG Network and Fox Sports New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/08/s...=ae2c5ff3096903cd&ei=5035&partner=MARKETWATCH

madpoet said:
WIthout definitieve word soon subs will bail, and orders won't happen.
Really? Huh. I'm stickin' around. Why bail? And why not risk a whole dollar on an install now?

madpoet said:
I think if they do that, they shoot themselves in the head. WIthout definitieve word soon subs will bail, and orders won't happen.
Why? Most of the VOOM subs don't even know that Cablevision has cosidered shutting down VOOM - they're simply enjoying the service. Also, the website is telling customers to call to inquire and CSR's are taking orders.

It would appear that it is in CV's best interest to sell Voom for whatever they can get for it vs. shutting it down completely. Shutting it down would involve all kinds of costs for unwinding contracts, etc. which they would avoid if Voom were sold. Even though keeping it live for another month would increase their expenses in the short term, if that results in absolving themselves of debt and other obligations in addition to getting cash for the remaining assets, in the long run this is the best course of action for shareholders.

They have already sunk over $1B into Voom to date, so another $40MM to get the deal done is practically inconsequential. Especially since this is most likely far less than what it would cost them to simply pull the plug. Not to mention if they do pull the plug, the value of any remaining assets the may hold out hopes of selling now or in the future (i.e. programming) will rapidly depreciate in value the longer Voom is off the air.

Sean Mota said:
Speculation/Rumor:

An extension until the end of month until there's a better plan... (I am taking the fifth and won't say more) :D

(The above has all sort of implications ---> so fire away)

Disclaimer: This is an speculation/rumor ONLY.
I tend to agree with you in that the "secret" outcome of today's meeting was simply another extension to allow more time. HOwever, it doesn't necessarily means until the end-of-month. It could be until next Monday.

I'm starting to think that Charles may want more than just the remaining VOOM assets.

Perhaps he wants to take all Rainbow Media holdings with him, VOOM, AMC, IFC, Fuse, WE, and Fox Sports Nets.

Perhaps he want's the satellite and new uplink center too and is trying to find a way to pay the penalties for canceling the sale.

bryan27 said:
I'm starting to think that Charles may want more than just the remaining VOOM assets.

Perhaps he wants to take all Rainbow Media holdings with him, VOOM, AMC, IFC, Fuse, WE, and Fox Sports Nets.

I think you may be right on this. The Rainbow Media assets are cash cows that would help to fund Voom's operating losses. This would also explain the hold up, as RM is a valuable asset that other cos. would love to get there hands on. If CV's board gives this away at a fire sale without soliciting bids from other interested parties, there will be a huge outcry of self-dealing and most likely lawsuits. Voom, on the other hand, is not attractive to anyone at just about any price - except for Chuck.

bryan27 said:

Perhaps he want's the satellite and new uplink center too and is trying to find a way to pay the penalties for canceling the sale.

That is the only thing that makes sense here, the income from those channels to keep up Voom, the problem of that is, those channels provide a lot of income for Cablevision, so Mr.Dolan would have to give quite a sum for it to make share-holders and the SEC happy.

madpoet said:
This has gotten enough press that people ARE aware. Silence does not serve them well.

Ohhh, you mean average man on the street is talking about it? or just the obsessed people who actually watch the news regarding the products they use. Of all the product you use in your life, do you know the boardroom wranglings of those companies, what about the bank that holds your mortgage? Can you name all the other brands of automobile that are owned partially or completely by the conglomerate that owns yours?

Do you keep up on what is happening in you local water company, or the local power company, were you "in the know" about your power providers plan when the Enron debaucle caused your electric bill to skyrocket or threaten to bancrupt your power company?

What about your local city gov't do you know what their stand is on growth in your community?

And if you are personally involved in your community gov't then you realize how few other are.

Gentlemen, and ladies, this is not earth shattering. As far as the media goes, everyone in this group is digging deep and hard to come up with ANY news or reference. For the general public, the media has to beat people over their head with stories, over and over again for anything to stick. That why CNNHeadline News is successful, "the same thing every half hour".

I feel justified in saying that "relatively NO-One" is aware of this little soap opera.

When I mean relatively, I am referring to the 5% of 50k voomers who make up .1% of the population becomes statistically insignificant.

Of potential subscriber; other than the FEW that happened to go to the website on the few days it was down, most called 800 GET VOOM and signed up. the CRS weren't spreadin any rumors.

I doubt that most of middle America buys products based upon their daily stock index. I certainly can't remember checking with my borker when I was deciding between Charmin and Angel Soft Toilet paper.

I bought what appealed to me at the moment, some might buy out of habit or culture, some consider value, others might buy soley based on price.

And once I got that roll home and unwrapped, and it was sitting there ready anytime I wanted to use it, I didn't give it a second thought. If I sat down next to it, and it failed to work, I'd be a little frustrated, but, I'd just get a different roll.

What I'm trying to say is USE IT, Enjoy it, while it is here. It may not last for ever, SO WHAT, get another roll when that one runs out. Don't throw it away because it is half used.

madpoet said:

I still don't understand this logic. Why would anyone bail until they knew what the outcome was going to be?
And how many?

Don't forget, not all subs read this forum.

Lob

Chuck left a loop hole in the Rainbow 1 sale and he is waiting to capitalize on that.This would make things allot simpler than moving the programing to another satellite or leasing back the transponder space. I am sure he has better lease terms on AMC 6 than Charlie Ergan will offer on Rainbow 1 if the sale goes through.

Indy said:
Chuck left a loop hole in the Rainbow 1 sale and he is waiting to capitalize on that.This would make things allot simpler than moving the programing to another satellite or leasing back the transponder space. I am sure he has better lease terms on AMC 6 than Charlie Ergan will offer on Rainbow 1 if the sale goes through.

What was the loophole?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts