I'd forgotten how horrid the Dish 811 is...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
*bleagh*

Compared with the Dish 811, the Voom box was a veritable engineering marvel. Now that I've been forced to endure the 811 again for a few weeks, I'm just ready to punt the damned thing down the street.

Spend too much time watching locals... it locks up. Try accessing the guide at the wrong time... it locks up. Look at it cross-eyed... it locks up. Also it seems like 2 out of 3 times when I try to view the guide I have to endure the 30-second-long "downloading guide..." routine.

2 years later and they still haven't fixed this crap. What a POS!

*grumble*

*spit*

polksda said:
*bleagh*

Compared with the Dish 811, the Voom box was a veritable engineering marvel. Now that I've been forced to endure the 811 again for a few weeks, I'm just ready to punt the damned thing down the street.

Spend too much time watching locals... it locks up. Try accessing the guide at the wrong time... it locks up. Look at it cross-eyed... it locks up. Also it seems like 2 out of 3 times when I try to view the guide I have to endure the 30-second-long "downloading guide..." routine.

2 years later and they still haven't fixed this crap. What a POS!

*grumble*

*spit*
I guess I'm lucky, in that I only have the "downloading guide" issue. My two 811's haven't locked up in months. Of course, I was careful to stay at P2.84, and not take any more downloads. My boxes stay powered up 24/7.

Yes im lucky also have the same "downloading guide" issue but forgot to leave on and boom got the 811 bomb p2.87 :( but no lockup isses in a while :D

Sorry to post this question here , but I could not start a new thread ( newbie I guess)
My 811 picture quality really sucks for local channels & the installer has no clue on how to rehook the voom dish as an OTA , so I want to do it myself , what do I need to do ? the voom dish and cables are intact & accessible , I just don't know how to "piggy back " them into the cables to the 811 & once I do that what steps are needed to let 811 see the local channels form the OTA.
Thanks for any help

dishlurker said:
Sorry to post this question here , but I could not start a new thread ( newbie I guess)
My 811 picture quality really sucks for local channels & the installer has no clue on how to rehook the voom dish as an OTA , so I want to do it myself , what do I need to do ? the voom dish and cables are intact & accessible , I just don't know how to "piggy back " them into the cables to the 811 & once I do that what steps are needed to let 811 see the local channels form the OTA.
Thanks for any help
First lets clarify the setup a little just so I'm sure you understand it.
The Voom "dish" has nothing to do with your OTA. All the dish receives is the 61.5 satellite. Your OTA came from a separate antenna installed strictly for OTA reception. From what I read, this was most often a Winegard amplified antenna. This could vary, depending on the reception conditions in your specific area. Typically, the OTA antenna and the Dish feed were combined outside to use one cable, and split again inside back to two using a diplexer. The diplexer was usually installed on the back of the Voom box over the OTA tuner module connections.
If your OTA antenna is still intact and the voom cables are separate from your E* cables as you indicated, I would suggest making a direct connection to the antenna with the cable, bypassing any diplexers or anything else you see in the line that can cause signal loss. There is a separate input on the back of the 811 for the OTA antenna. If you have an amplified antenna, you will need to get the appropriate power supply to power it, since you won't have the voom box to power the antenna anymore. The power supply installs inside the house and sends the power for the antenna up the signal cable. Once you're on the roof checking out the connections, find out what make and model is on the OTA antenna. Armed with this information you should be able to find the appropriate power supply on the web. I never got the standard Winegard installation since I already had a Channel Master deep fringe UHF Yagi with a Channel Master preamplifier for OTA prior to Voom that the installer used, so I only know the generalities but not the specific models used in the typical Voom installation.

I must be one of the lucky ones, I've never had a problem with my 811, my locals look great, my SD and HD picture looks great, no guide or audio issues, and even recordings from it are OK.

It never locks up, and i'm at p2.84. Guess I better knock on wood.

I get the probelm with lockups after watching locals too long, the program guide taking a dump and losing it's info, and one unmentioned here so far---my picture will become corrupted on all channels, basically it will look like water is running down the screen. I have to completely re-boot my 811 to fix it. The Voom box was far superior, their remote was easy enough that my wife wouldn't be waking me up every morning to turn on the tv for here and they allowed HD channelsto come in on SD tvs.

I've had one lockup on an OTA channel in 3 weeks. I regularly run out of EPG since I never shut mine off. It's no big deal since it only takes about 30 seconds to download. Try getting the next 4 hours on a 6000, it can take 10 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)