How are you guys PS3 set up for audio?

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
I've got my PS3 hooked up via HDMI for video and optical for audio. However, my questions pertains to the uncompressed audio on the BD titles. When I switch to the uncompressed, my onkyo reciever switches from DTS or DD to All Channel Stereo. I understand that optical cannot handle 7.1 channels, but I lose the distinction of the rear surrounds when i do this, but the overall sound is much louder and in depth and i seem to enjoy it a bit more, but i do miss the back channels being distinct.

Out of curiousity, how do you all watch your movies and which would be the best to listen to. I know which sounds the best to me, but i don't want to miss anything and the DTS and DD soundtracks sound perfectly fine to me.

I watch my my BD movies with the audio going over HDMI. I thought that this was the only way to get the lossless sound out of the movie. My Oknyo reciver shows PCM Multi CH when connected to my PS3.

I have mine connected via optical, and there is a HUGE difference in sound when i switch from the DD or DTS track to the Uncompressed PCM. But as I said the back two channels are no longer discrete. And i miss that greatly, but the clarity and overwhelming loudness from the Uncompressed track sounds really good.

I have my PS3 set to bitstream btw

If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 (as with all other High Definition players) only pass 2 channel PCM over Optical. It will pass DD and DTS 5.1 over optical through bitstream. If you want 5.1 channel (or above) PCM, you either need analog outs or HDMI 1.1 or above to your receiver.

S~

If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 (as with all other High Definition players) only pass 2 channel PCM over Optical. It will pass DD and DTS 5.1 over optical through bitstream. If you want 5.1 channel (or above) PCM, you either need analog outs or HDMI 1.1 or above to your receiver.

S~

That's what I thought, and WOW does that two channel sound amazing. And anyone who really knows me would not believe that i would say that, but I'm about to buy another receiver with HDMI just to get the full effect, because if 2-channel can WOW me, and I am a very difficult person to WOW, then I can only imagine a 7.1 uncompressed track discrete to all channels. :mouth waters:

hpman - I had a similar experience when I got a PS3 - I connected it to my 6 yr. old Sony receiver via digital optical. DTS HD/MA BD discs sound great with the DTS "core" at 1.5mbps multi-channel, as does DD+. But PCM discs can only be output 2 channel. Yeah, it sounds nice, but stereo doesn't cut it for me. I tried out an Onkyo 604 receiver. It worked terrific, multi-channel PCM via HDMI. I have both my XA1 HD DVD and PS3 connected via HDMI set to PCM output, and it does HDMI switching to my display via HDMI>DVI cable.

I'm undecided whether to go with a 604 or 605. The 605 has HDMI 1.3 and can decode DTS HD-MA via bitstream input - IF they ever get a player to output. But, the best online price I've seen is $499, and it's just coming into stock. J&R was taking pre-orders for $399, but seemed to have stopped taking new pre-orders and none have shipped yet that I know of. The 604 can be had for around $300 online. So, it boils down to if you want to spend and extra $200 to future proof.

I got in on the J&R pre-order for the 605, but if it hasn't shipped by the time I get home from vacation June 10, I'll probably cancel & go with the 604.

I purchased the Onkyo 605 from Circuit City of all places on sale for $399 plus tax. I have a PS3 as well. Remember, if you look at the audio spec on the movie container, the PCM soundtrack is only 5.1. I have yet to find a soundtrack on any blu-ray movie I have researched that has an uncompressed, lossless 7.1 soundtrack. I started a new post today asking if anyone has seen a movie with 7.1. I have seen Dolby True HD and DTS MA but they also say they are only 5.1. Let me know if I am wrong. This Onkyo 605 is great and sound great and according to my PS3, I can hear about a dozen different types of sounds from 5.1 to 7.1 if they would only put a 7.1 soundtrack on one of these discs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts