How are you liking Sling TV?

Pretty good but wish they would add more channels like NBC Universals has and some local sports stations that Fox has with stations they own!! :)

If you are going to watch on a Roku you should probably just buy the season pass from Amazon or Vudu since you can do it directly on your Roku. I'm not sure if you even can buy video content from iTunes and stream it to a Roku. Maybe with something like Plex? Still there is probably DRM that might prevent that from working properly.

yeah I use plex so that is how I can do it. I have not tried it yet, but looks like integrating iTunes is fairly easy.

I'm probably going to drop it soon. I had it after we left Directv as kind of a buffer. But we really only watched Florida State football games that were on ESPN. And disappointed the one show the Mrs. and I liked was Major Crimes and it's not on demand. I'll just resubscribe next fall unless something changes on ESPN's streaming access. The TV landscape is in major flux.

Still waiting for Campus Insiders that was announced last month. I only have it as backup in case of outage on Directv. If they don't add CI soon, I will probably drop it until they do.

I am back on it again, which is one of the appeals to me (drop when I need it, add it back when I do).

Since I sent back a couple of dish receivers and dropped us to the welcome pack, I get basically the same channels as before between WP and sling, and save about 10-15 bucks (if not more, have to do the math).

Once that dish contract goes out in march, I will either stay as I am, or drop dish completely and get by on sling, Netflix, hulu, and my antenna for live broadcast sports.

I had the welcome pack for several years for the wife. When Sling came out last year we signed up for it the first month and dropped Welcome pack.
Sling, Netflix, and 63 channels OTA is plenty for us....Saving some $$$$$

Reactions: andy_horton
I tried cutting the cord earlier in the year. Went with Sling, Netflix, and Hulu. Just didn't seem to cut it for us. Sling was ok. Really neat when it worked, but when it didn't it was very frustrating. I've got about a year left on my Dish contract and may explore it more when that time comes. Would be nice to save some money!

It definitely takes an adjustment to get used to watching TV a different way, especially with live networks vs using hulu a day later. I found that for network shows I generally (2 shows aside) watched them the next day off of the DVR rather than same day viewing anyway, so really there was no difference in that regard from watching it on hulu vs off of the DVR.

I have found that my TV is on less, as there is no random "channel surfing". Sometimes with sat I would just flip it to a channel and leave it on as we passed through. Now it is more likely on a streaming music service for background noise.

I am with you on Sling being good when it works properly. It does seem to do better now that my previous experiences with it, but I have still had the occasional dropouts of failure to loads. Most of the time restarting the app fixes it. I will be curious to see how it holds up for the national championship game or for when the Walking Dead returns. TWD is the one that gave me fits in the past. The service just did not hold up on either the premier or the finale last season (I forget which). Hopefully they have added capacity to fix that issue.

Don't they give you access to the WatchESPN apps with your SlingTV account? That may be a good backup for when they get overloaded during the national championship game next week. Still doesn't do much for big events like The Walking Dead season premieres and finales though.

Don't they give you access to the WatchESPN apps with your SlingTV account? That may be a good backup for when they get overloaded during the national championship game next week. Still doesn't do much for big events like The Walking Dead season premieres and finales though.
They do. I can swap to either or easily enough, so yeah that particular event should not be a problem.

And soon, the ESPN 3 games will be integrated into the guide right beside your other ESPN channels. I am looking forward to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts