How can E* keep adding HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bountykiller, the link you provided was an application to the FCC for this, I don't see anywhere in there that this proposal from E* was granted by the FCC, that's a long way from your original post that said that E* bought up all these slots. And just because E* put in an application doesn't mean that the FCC will grant all those slots to E* especially if it would allocate all the new slots to E* locking out D*, goes against forming a monoploy. So I'd recommend that you stop counting your chickens before their hatched.

Would D* need any additional locations? When they get all their current SATs up won't they have more than enough capacity for foreseeable future?

Echo 13 & 14 are both already under construction.

14 = http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...0c61ea-2a01-4e0a-a6e2-32523ad4eaa1/226983.pdf

13 = http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5027 (Talk about it and how it may be called CMBstar due to buying it off of China after the 2008 olympics or something)

Anyways they are clearly under way with additional capacity and they also have a good relationship with Americon/SES and will likely have to lease a bird or two as well to meet this crazy number of 10 more satellites in the next 5 years! It almost seems nuts not to mention the costs of doing so.

-B

Rad,
You seem unwilling to accept this as even a possibility ;0 Clearly E* is taking things seriously and the application has been in since Oct 2006. I would love to see if i could find a follow up article on it as it intrigues me. That's some friggin network of satellites in theory. Why if nobody else applied in your opinion would they be denied if they could meet the financial obligations and milestones? I wouldn't dismiss this as being impossible ;0 Even 2/3 of that capacity would meet and exceed that of D*

-B

BountyKiller, you know what's really nuts? It's not possible within the known laws of physics to construct a stationary dish (within the 1m diameter OTARD limitation) that will receive the arc from 61 to 148. Good luck with all those slots, I'm sure the wives and HOAs of the world will absolutely be thrilled to see a dish farm on every roof.

Hah .. yep ;0 You can only do 40 degrees max of arc.. more isnt possible. You would need more than one dish most certainly;0 Wives will likely boycott this from ever being allowed ;0

Hey, I dont claim to say its the best idea.. I'm only bringing to light info I came across about their intentions ;0 I think its so nutty that it's interesting! ;0

-B

Hah .. yep ;0 You can only do 40 degrees max of arc.. more isnt possible. You would need more than one dish most certainly;0 Wives will likely boycott this from ever being allowed ;0

Hey, I dont claim to say its the best idea.. I'm only bringing to light info I came across about their intentions ;0 I think its so nutty that it's interesting! ;0

-B

It's possible to do a full arc on stationary reception hardware, but it requires a pretty crazy large torrordial?? contraption that would easily take up your entire back yard and probably costs as much as your house. Someone posted pictures of one once on the C-band forum.

Is there some reason all the E* shills are over here in the D* forum?.Heck we haven't even got D10 up and their all shook up.What happened did E* lose some customers?.Not our fault Charlie didn't want MLB EI talk to him.:rolleyes:

The launch is coming soon for Directv10...Its coming sooner than you THINK... I know when it does happen, people will be happy and then new problems will arise...

How can E* keep adding HD channels and D* is maxed out?

Because they have lots of room. E* has lots of room on all of their birds except for their core programming birds at 110&119. Without even looking at their layout, I can easily say that would have no issues in bandwidth period with them adding 6-10 more HD channels overnight without even trying very hard.

What cracks me up is one of their spokesdroids said " The difference in picture quality is a matter of opinion, said Robert Mercer, spokesman for satellite provider DirecTV Inc.

"We believe the DirecTV HD signal is superior to any source, whether it's over-the-air or from your friendly neighborhood cable company," Mercer said."

We all know that is a stack of lies.

What cracks me up is one of their spokesdroids said " The difference in picture quality is a matter of opinion, said Robert Mercer, spokesman for satellite provider DirecTV Inc.

"We believe the DirecTV HD signal is superior to any source, whether it's over-the-air or from your friendly neighborhood cable company," Mercer said."

We all know that is a stack of lies.

So after they take an OTA MPEG2 signal at 16mbps, receive it just like the OTA viewers do, downrez and recompress it to MPEG4, send it up in space, and back down to your receiver, it looks better? Whatever....

Hah.. Yeah the D* marketers certainly talk a pack of #^# ;0 I must say I have never seen a company that advertises the capacity they will have and not the end product! :) I'm sure that when the new bird goes up that they will add much needed HD.. but honestly, this is hardly a trump card over E* who has been adding HD quite frequently and is unlikely to stop doing so. ;0

-B

Rad,
You seem unwilling to accept this as even a possibility ;0 Clearly E* is taking things seriously and the application has been in since Oct 2006. I would love to see if i could find a follow up article on it as it intrigues me. That's some friggin network of satellites in theory. Why if nobody else applied in your opinion would they be denied if they could meet the financial obligations and milestones? I wouldn't dismiss this as being impossible ;0 Even 2/3 of that capacity would meet and exceed that of D*

-B

Bounty, I'm not saying that it's not a possibility, but your posting make it sound like this is all a done deal and E* has all these slots locked up, which doesn't appear to be the case at this time. If E* does lock this all up, great for taking the initiative in securing the bandwidth.

One thing that strikes me kind of funny is how all the E* folks have been saying BFD that D*'s going to have 150 national HD channel capcity, who cares, there aren't that many HD channels out there, and now all of a sudden it's important to have all this new bandwidth to support a couple thousand HD channels.

One thing that strikes me kind of funny is how all the E* folks have been saying BFD that D*'s going to have 150 national HD channel capcity, who cares, there aren't that many HD channels out there, and now all of a sudden it's important to have all this new bandwidth to support a couple thousand HD channels.
You're right. This shouldn't turn into a contest of who can promise the most capacity sometime in the future. In the end, it's put up or shut (TF) up.

Perhaps with all that new capacity, E* will finally be able to get the rest of the HD local markets up they promised for 2006!

Perhaps with all that new capacity, E* will finally be able to get the rest of the HD local markets up they promised for 2006!
Much like D* hedges their statements with words like "capacity" and "agreements in principle", E* also hedged their bets by announcing that "up to 50 markets" would be carried in HD by the end of 2006. Broken promise- no. Missed target - yes.

Up to 50, but only 26 EOY? You can spin it any way you want I guess. What's the need to compare to DirecTV? Echostar simply did NOT deliver!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts