How can I convince DISH to let me install an additional 722?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kcolg30

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2010
earth
I will be adding an additional 722 to my account. This will be the third unit. I already spoke with two supervisors and 3 reps. They all told me that I cannot do a self installation of an additional unit. Self installations can only be done when replacing a unit verses adding a new unit. They want to charge me $95 or $15 if I do the protection plan. It is amazing that it requires a rocket scientist to come to my house to plug in an HDMI cable, a coax and a power cable. I have been with DISH for 12 years and pay $237/per month and I guess they do not trust me to do an install with their equipment. Some how the masters degree that I completed last year in computer science does not grant me the necessary technical skills to plug in 3 cables and verify that the unit works. This is going in a room that already had a receiver a couple of years ago. I have already plugged in one of the spare 722's to verify that the RG6 cable works. Is this just DISH policy or do I need to try to get my PHD since apparently the DISH technicians have a speshul degree in plugging in cables.

Buy it and install it.. But if you intend to lease you are probably at the mercy of Dish Rules.. Contact a local retailer about an upgrade.. They are a little easier to deal with than Dish itself.

I appealed to Executive Resolutions (the ceo email address) to lease two 612's and install them myself. $25/ea for shipping and I had them installed in no time. ;) I had a good reason, though, with a unique DPP switch arrangement that I built out of a cannibalized DPP twin.

When I updraded my 622 to a 722K and added a 612, I went through the same dialog. I wanted to do my own install because the coax wirng in the my trailer is quite different from a house.

I have switches so I can use the automatic roof dish and a ground tripod. I also have a switch for OTA or TV2 routing to the bedroom. Also the compartment where the 722K would go is nightmare to cable because it is built into the wall. I knew most installers are not up to dealing with such things.

After getting to the a very high level, I conceded because they were not going to let me have the 612 otherwise.

Cost was not an issue as I am on the Protection Plan. When the installer came, I had the 622 out and I offered to put the 722K in and the installed could put the 612 into the bedroom. I think the installer was happy after looking at the space the 722K had to go into. The installer put the 612 in and tested both units and left.

Rules like this seem very irrational unless you look at it from the other side. A self install of an additional unit could damage the unit and Dish would be on the hook for it. There is no way for Dish to know how talented you are.

So let them install it.

Few reasons come to my mind. First is that dish wants to make sure every receiver is connected via BB or at least a phone line. No real way to MAKE SURE that is completed unless a tech comes out. The second is that certain codes must be met for an install.

About the only way to get it done is to buy the receiver, install it, call and activate it.

Also, I have had "computer programmers" not able to figure out how to operate Dish DVR.

Some how the masters degree that I completed last year in computer science does not grant me the necessary technical skills to plug in 3 cables and verify that the unit works. This is going in a room that already had a receiver a couple of years ago.

I work in a town with the State's University in it, many professors and experts. I wouldn't let many of them do anything without supervision. I have learned not to be impressed with a degree, but rather what the person is actually capable of. My point being Dish has no idea what you are capable of and they are giving you expensive equipment, not to mention the possibility of service complaints later because of your instillation. In all probability you would have no problem doing it, but Dish does not know that. If you can convince them otherwise, go for it!

... I have been with DISH for 12 years and pay $237/per month .... Some how the masters degree that I completed last year in computer science does not grant me the necessary technical skills to plug in 3 cables and verify that the unit works.

Perhaps you would be better served with a master's in economics. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts