How can I get a vip722k from dish?

jmel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Eastern NC
I currently own a vip622. I would like the 722k for the increased recording capacity and dual ota capability.

I call dish, they tell me they can only have it replaced with a random vip622, 722 or 722k. They tell me there is a better chance of getting the 722k if I "add a second receiver", but they still couldn't say for sure.

You know, I remember just a few months ago I could order this stuff online. What's the deal? Why can I not just order what I want?

They told me it would be $99 for the upgrade, $15 for the service visit (unnecessary imo) and I'd have to sign another 2 year agreement.

Not a problem, but wtf? They can't guarantee what I'll be paying for???

Last edited:
I currently own a vip622. I would like the 722k for the increased recording capacity and dual ota capability.

I call dish, they tell me they can only have it replaced with a random vip622, 722 or 722k. They tell me there is a better chance of getting the 722k if I "add a second receiver", but they still couldn't say for sure.

You know, I remember just a few months ago I could order this stuff online. What's the deal? Why can I not just order what I want?

They told me it would be $99 for the upgrade, $15 for the service visit (unnecessary imo) and I'd have to sign another 2 year agreement.

My gut feeling tells me for the discounted rate you get what they give you. I'm sure if you called and wanted to pay full price, you could get whatever you want. ;)

They told me the same thing for replacing 2 612s. Got one replaced today and it was a 722k, I asked the tech if he had one on the truck. The other one should be replaced in the next couple of days and he said it would most likely be a 722k as well since that is what they have. They only hook up new boxes with service visits because you need to sign the new lease document for the new box, and I am thinking the techs will mostly have the newer boxes since that is what new customers would be expecting.

Any duo DVR receiver brought by a tech will more than likely be a 722k. Pot luck is what you get when it is shipped to you from Dish.

I'm supposed to have a tech out to bury a pole to put the freshly temp-installed 1000.4 dish (which is working great btw) a week from today, I am going to ask the tech if they have a 722k on the truck that I can purchase and sign an agreement for.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try to add a receiver like the rep told me on the phone today...

Just seems like a really strange way to handle new equipment requests....

Last edited:
I'm supposed to have a tech out to bury a pole to put the freshly temp-installed 1000.4 dish (which is working great btw) a week from today, I am going to ask the tech if they have a 722k on the truck that I can purchase and sign an agreement for.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try to add a receiver like the rep told me on the phone today...

Just seems like a really strange way to handle new equipment requests....

If it's not on his work order, no go. They only pull units that have been ordered. Sometimes they will have an extra, but unlikely. Call and order it.

Tell them you'll gladly pay them $99 to upgrade to a guaranteed 722k...just as long as they buy your owned 622 for full purchase price. ;)

Call a retailer if you have one in your area. They can do a dish it up and get you exactly what you ask for.

Maybe it's just me, but when I searched for retailers, the only one that really came up that was "close" was century link, formerly embarq, formerly sprint. I hesitate to call them for the time or even directions, let alone to get me a satellite receiver.

I'm probably just going to order a second receiver, but I want to talk to the tech when they come out next week first.

I just replaced my 622 with a 722K and added a 612. Starting with the India CSR, getting the 722K and the 612 wasn't a problem except Dish counldn't send me two receivers.

Then the India Manager said that should be okay but then when he checked, Dish couldn't send me two receivers. Then I was switched to the US Corporate offices. Getting the 722K and the 612 wasn't a problem except Dish would not send two receivers to me. I had to have a service call.

I challenged that last year, when I had a problem with my 622, a Dish technician could not come to my trailer because it had wheels on it. I am a full-time RVer. Now they want to send a technician to install the two receivers in the same place they couldn't do a service call.

After some dialog, I finally agreed to the service call. It wasn't the $15, it was the technician messing around the the complicated electronics compartment in my trailer.

I was told that I had ordered the OTA module for the 722K. When I received the email notification of the service call, I didn't see the OTA module. I called in and found that I couldn't order the OTA module until I had the receiver installed. That sounded pretty stupid to me especially that installing the 722K would not be an easy task in the RV trailer.

When the technician arrived, he had enough sense to install the 612 in the bedroom and let me do the complicated installation of the 722K. There was no cabling to be install so the technician had an easy call.

After the installation was called in, I called in an ordered the OTA module which arrived in two days. I would have preferred to only install the 722K once but that is the way is was.

Perhaps I didn't have an arguement over getting the 722K because I did change my programming and picked up another two year commitment. Unlike many on this Forum, a two year commitment is not a big issue because I have a lot of costs involved to be with Dish in dishes, tripods, automatic roof dish, meters, etc. I can't rationally think of jumping to DirecTV, my only other option as FIOS doesn't travel well with an RV. And DirecTV doesn't have the dual TV DVR functionality I make a lot of use of.

The reason for the two year commitment was the change from HD-Gold and HD-Platinum to HD Plus Platinum, which paid for the 612. Just asking for the dropping of HD-Platium didn't register with the CSR until I specifically said I wanted the HD Plus Platinum package, then everything was done.

I also picked up Locals, no choice, because of the programming change. I can only use Locals a few months of the year when we are in a fixed location. The rest of the time we use DNS from AAD. But when we do use the Locals, it is nice to have HD which is a bit too expensive from AAD so we only carry SD from them.

I got my guaranteed 722k because they only had my locals in SD. I had a 722, but told them I wanted the K so I could hook up an antenna and record two locals in HD at a time. They were real cool about it and told me if I would buy the ota module they would swap the receiver for nothing. I said cool and they shipped it to me.

It really is the luck of the draw.

I just did a "dish it up" offer with two of my 622's last night! Only had to pay for the service visit ($15) because they would not send them to me. Other then that, I didn't have to pay anything else. It was free. Give them a call and ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)