How can I get HD service, as an existing customer?

spanner

Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I have been trying to upgrade to the 811 HD system with Dish networks for 6 months now, they stated I could upgrage for free but would have to wait, that I "did not qualify" until my 1 year commitment was over, I've waited until my 1 year was complete yesterday and called them today, they now say that there is no promotion to upgrade and I can't get it!!!!
Don't believe there lies on the commitment thing, they are just trying to keep the service going. If I was a NEW customer, however I could get it inatalled free!! I can't believe they offer FREE systems to joe blow off the street, yet NOTHING to loyal existing customers...or should I say EX customers!!!

I was a three-week-old customer and wanted a 522 since the retailer I signed-up with didn't correctly describe it. The retailer refused to exchange my 322 for the 522 so I called DISH and was transferred to the executive offices and spoke with a lady there who called the retailer and got them to exchange it. She also said that DISH would have exchanged it if I hadn't signed-up with the retailer.

That said, you might call and ask to speak to the executive offices and explain to them that you are an existing customer and would like to upgrade to the 811 and don't feel it is fair that new customers can get it free but you, a loyal customer, has to pay for it. Perhaps, you could agree to another year-long committment in exchange for the free upgrade. Be persistent until you get a "yes" and if someone says "no," call back and talk to a different person.

spanner said:
I have been trying to upgrade to the 811 HD system with Dish networks for 6 months now, they stated I could upgrage for free but would have to wait, that I "did not qualify" until my 1 year commitment was over, I've waited until my 1 year was complete yesterday and called them today, they now say that there is no promotion to upgrade and I can't get it!!!!
Don't believe there lies on the commitment thing, they are just trying to keep the service going. If I was a NEW customer, however I could get it inatalled free!! I can't believe they offer FREE systems to joe blow off the street, yet NOTHING to loyal existing customers...or should I say EX customers!!!
There is a promotion currently available "Dishin it Up" You must be a customer for 1 year before you can qualify. DISH evaluates your purchases,payment history and determines what you qualify for. You may not qualify for anything under this promotion and DISH is the only ones that can determine what you will be offered. You can always buy a 811 if you are really desparate for DISH HDTV service. :)

Upgrade to 811

I have been a dish customer for over a year and they sent a 811 right out when I called their service line. I had to pay postage of around 25.00 that included a shipping ticket to return one of my basic receivers. Monthly bill goes up 9.99 for the HD service. More if you get premium movie channels ect.

Don't forget to ask for the promotion on HD

I just received / set-up my 811 two weeks ago. (been a subscriber longer than one year) I was able to use the HD promotion that makes the first 6 months of HD service free (rather than 9.99 / mo) by calling Dish directly. You have to ask for that when you activate HD. Good luck.

I like ,"SKYBIRD MENTIONED ABOVE" called this morning and ask to speak with someone in the "Executive Office" after being told by a CSR@ 1-800-333-DISH that I did`nt qualify for an upgrade because my year contract was 4 months shy of being fulfilled.Called 1-800-ECHOSTAR asked for the E.O. section and told the guy I wanted to switch my leased 322 for a leased 811.He took my info and said no problem will ship it out to you today.Give it 7-10 business days to reach your residence pay the $25 S-H fee,box up and return the 322 to them within 15 days.The bonus was,the Rep. I spoke with said since I was an existing customer I could not get the "Free 6 month HD promo package",but he DID give me 3 months free{probably could have gotten the full 6 months if I complained,but I figured he was doing me a favor by waiving the 4 months I had left on my contract,so I was happy with that}. He was the best E* rep I have EVER worked with.Not because he gave me what I wanted, but he just seemed like a good guy you wanted to help out a customer.He did`nt give me the 3rd degree or ask 1000 questions.If felt refreshing to deal with a knowledgeable as well as a caring customer service rep. for a change.

I have been with Dish Network for about 10 months and I just called yesterday (Sep 21) and ordered a second 811 under the Dishin It Up promotion. I paid $24.95 shipping, plus the option of $25 credit for my "owned" 311 or I could just keep it. I do pay the $5.00 per month lease fee, but the 3rd receiver fee of $4.99 is waived. So my bill will go up by $0.01 per month. When I no longer want the 811, I can ship it back, or lease a new one for the same $24.95 shipping fee. They also said unless the customer breaks the equipment, as long as I am paying the $5 per month, the equipment is under warranty. Or if all else fails, I can pay $5.99 per month even after my equipment fails to buy the extended warranty which would cover everything. Then after it is fixed, I can cancel the warranty. Sounds sort of weird but I had 2 different CSRs say that in different words.

When it is all said and done, I will have paid ABOUT $50 for shipping and 1 cent more per month to have an 811 receiver over a 311, which I can now sell if I chose. Works for me.

They said they send the 811's out 2nd day air, but must say 7-10 days to cover their butts. Also, ALL 811's they lease are claimed to be brand new, not refurbished.

spanner said:
... If I was a NEW customer, however I could get it inatalled free!! I can't believe they offer FREE systems to joe blow off the street, yet NOTHING to loyal existing customers...or should I say EX customers!!!

LOL, this was why I canned them. I figured if I can't get a good lease I'll go buy what I want to buy. Charlie is such a putz....

AcuraCL said:
Yeah, good luck. I'm sure DirectTV or Voom will be happy to give you free receivers for life.

These receivers are leased at $4.99 each, they want them back when you change service or quit...just the same as DirectTV!!!

One thing you might also remember is that when they came out yeah they did come out with Microsoft support so new customers that got it got free for like 3 yrs I believe the time frame was. But then Microsoft pulled out of it and the issue I have been noticing on residential accounts is that the codes for the free dishplayer fees have never been removed. Customers that would have had it taken off and inserted the 9.99 fee never had for god only knows what reason, believe one customer I saw the other day had on for 6 yrs more less. People that came in after that promotion were not aware of the discount/ didn't qualify and has continued on to today.

mgrowley said:
I just received / set-up my 811 two weeks ago. (been a subscriber longer than one year) I was able to use the HD promotion that makes the first 6 months of HD service free (rather than 9.99 / mo) by calling Dish directly. You have to ask for that when you activate HD. Good luck.

You recieved 6 months free HD Pak, and you have been a customer? I didn't think they were doing that for existing customers. I will try that for sure.

spanner said:
AcuraCL said:
Yeah, good luck. I'm sure DirectTV or Voom will be happy to give you free receivers for life.

These receivers are leased at $4.99 each, they want them back when you change service or quit...just the same as DirectTV!!!

What Directv policy is this????

The 6 months free of the HD pak isn't available to existing customers, I'm surprised you got it as an existing customer. Only thing I could think is that there were some reason as to why the agent would have to put it on manually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)