How can I get my HD channels for TV2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JKarlo21

Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
McKinney, Texas
I got a Vip622 receiver. I was told from a friend who was told by a DISH installer that there is a way. From what it sounds like is that from the coaxial in the wall, it goes through a piece of equipment and then to the TV2. You will be able to still have all the HD channels and the DVR capability. He said it's a cheaper way of doing it instead of using a totally seperate HD receiver. The nice lady on the phone at Dish Network wasn't very helpful. She had no idea what I was referring to. Same time, I don't think she realize what she is doing anyways.

There are 100's of threads on this site. I am sure this may have be discussed. I apologize now. If it has been discussed, could someone point me in the right direction?

The TV output for TV2 is standard definition. You can watch HD channels and recorded HD material, but it will simply be down converted to standard definition.

The only way to get HD to a second TV is to send TV1 output to it. Both the HDMI and component are active at the same time, so you could hook up HDMI to the tv by the 622 then run component cables to the second TV. Both TVs have to watch the same thing at the same time, but in my case it works out fine that way. You can also get a component video amplifier and feed a bunch of TVs if you would like. This is one way to send it throughout a house.

I got a Vip622 receiver. I was told from a friend who was told by a DISH installer that there is a way. From what it sounds like is that from the coaxial in the wall, it goes through a piece of equipment and then to the TV2. You will be able to still have all the HD channels and the DVR capability. He said it's a cheaper way of doing it instead of using a totally seperate HD receiver. The nice lady on the phone at Dish Network wasn't very helpful. She had no idea what I was referring to. Same time, I don't think she realize what she is doing anyways.
Welcome. Unfortunately, your info is a little askew. The 622 will display HD channels IN HD on TV1 only. SD channels over the sat can be watched on TV2 but in SD only when connected by Coax.. If any of your HD channels are OTA, they will not appear in you HD channnel guide on TV2. There is no other equipment involved between the receiver and TV2.

I presume the OP is referring to the OTA digital locals and if so, someone did post a diagram/layout of how to do this. It was rather confusing.... :) but it seemingly works.

You will receive all DVR features and all subscribed HD channels on the TV2 out from the 622. But, it be SD or downconverted SD from HD. If you want HD signals to the 2nd TV, you must have another HD receiver, or run either HDMI/Component from the TV1 out on the 622. If you use the HDMI/component cables both TVs will be watching the same programming.

If you record a program on an HD local you can view it on TV2---even if the program is still in progress. That may be all you need or you may want to follow the advice that Mr. hall pointed you t

"Split OTA signal at the receiver, one output will go to the 622 OTA input. Then use another splitter as a combiner, connect first output of that splitter with the second output of the first splitter, connect second output of the second splitter with 622 RF out, connect input of the second splitter with the secont TV.
You will have all dish channels and OTA channels on a second TV.
Also if second TV is HD with HD tuner, then you will have OTA HD.
And it is just one cable run."

Let me see if I understand this, if you combine the RF Agilated Output of the 622 with the OTA signal from an antenna you will get the OTA channels on TV2. That of course works if you use Air in the setup for the modulator setup and if your TV has a built-in ATSC tuner. But if you use Cable in the modulator setup then it's not gonna work, it won't work either if your TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

If you just want the channels, but they don't have to be in HD, use the agile modulator to send RF for TV1 and RF for TV2 to the second TV in SD.

If you want HD at the second TV yo umust use either component or HDMI cable.

If you want ti include OTA HD signals into the RF agile modulator output, select channels for RF TV1 and 2 that are in a gap in the OTA channels. the lower the channels the better.

Here's a question or an idea.. for the TV2, could you run the connection from the 622 to 211 then to the TV? would that solve anything.. or is there something physically inside the 622 that doesn't allow HD to TV2 if you are dual mode...

I am just want to be able to watch two different shows in HD but the ability to watch the DVR on either TV (and w/o buying an OTA antenna since my locals come in through my dish).. Yes, a pipe dream from what it sounds like, but isn't the market out there for this?!!

Here's a question or an idea.. for the TV2, could you run the connection from the 622 to 211 then to the TV? would that solve anything.. or is there something physically inside the 622 that doesn't allow HD to TV2 if you are dual mode...

I am just want to be able to watch two different shows in HD but the ability to watch the DVR on either TV (and w/o buying an OTA antenna since my locals come in through my dish).. Yes, a pipe dream from what it sounds like, but isn't the market out there for this?!!

Again, with TV2 out you can watch only SD. To watch HD on TV2 you need to connect it with 622 using HDMI or component cables and you will have the same channel on both TV1, TV2.
RF connection has only SD resolution. You can only configure it to work with HD OTA using splitters as described in this thread (if your TV has OTA HD tuner).
If you connect TV2 with 211 with HDMI/component and with 622 with HDMI/component, then you can watch different HD channel with 211 and will be able to watch DVR too.
But you will need two receivers to watch two different HD channels on two HDTVs.

I do exactly that. I have my TV1 hooked up via DVI and my TV2 hooked up (with 75ft) Component Video Cables. Both TV's have excellent HD pictures. So, yes, it can be done!

I do exactly that. I have my TV1 hooked up via DVI and my TV2 hooked up (with 75ft) Component Video Cables. Both TV's have excellent HD pictures. So, yes, it can be done!
If you will read OP posts ["HD to TV2 if you are dual mode"], you'll know you're incorrect when proposed your setup with SAME program on both TVs.

NO, It cannot be done !

Ifa set is hooked up withcomponent it is seeing TV 1 nit TV2. you can indeed hook up two TVS one HDMI and one component if you want them tos ee the same thing. If you want independent output that is another story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts