How can I improve my SD PQ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tase2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
I know SD PQ has been discussed many times, but I want to know if there is any good tips I have not read or was unable to find.

I had my D* installed by one of Robert's guys from ValueElectronics. So I am just going to assume that the dish is set up correctly and they used best cables. Given that, I also just had my TV ISF calibrated. The HD channels (as few as D* offers) are perfect, but SD leaves a lot to be desired.

I am using HDMI-HDMI connection. I have the HR10-250 Sony KDF-E42A10 &
Pioneer VSX-D711 Receiver in case you have your sig turned off.

I'm not sure what I can even try or is it just D*?

I know this may sound nutty, and i'm no tech, but maybe pushing SD through HDMI is the problem? It's not really designed for that. Hook up some RCA cables or an s-video and tell me if it's the same (or worse, gah...)...that HDMI may be over-doing your SD signal...

or i'm a nut, we'll find out shortly I guess...

A few people say that running a separate S-video cable to your TV from the receiver helps improve the picture quality. Of course, with the HDTivo, you need to switch the output resolution to 480i to get the S-video port active.

I use only the HDMI cable to my Toshiba 51H94 (CRT based RPTV). I find the pic quality decent on some channels, and poor on others. There are really only two SD channels that I watch on a regular basis: SciFi, and FX. I think FX's pic quality is among the best in the D* lineup (for SD channels anyway) and I find it quite watchable, even in zoom mode. SciFi, however, leaves much to be desired.

Purogamer said:
I know this may sound nutty, and i'm no tech, but maybe pushing SD through HDMI is the problem? It's not really designed for that. Hook up some RCA cables or an s-video and tell me if it's the same (or worse, gah...)...that HDMI may be over-doing your SD signal...

or i'm a nut, we'll find out shortly I guess...

You're not a nut, this is good advice, albeit a pain with the HD-Tivo as the resolution needs to be reset

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts