How can I record Hopper video on a PC HD

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I would like to move my recorded shows off of my Hoppers and EHDs so that if I have a Hopper failure or decide to cut the cord some day, I won't have to be concerned with loosing all my shows.
I know Haupauge makes a device that allows you to connect with With component and optical connections. It requires a computer and software to record on the computer HD. I would probably like to set up network attached storage with 12-16 TB of storage, since I currently have 2 HWS and three 2 TB EHD all full.
I am looking for advice on the best hardware at a reasonable price.
I also need to know how to trigger play back from the Hopper when I am not present (asleep or away).

With all the talk of cord cutting and downsizing I want some time to prepare. Another year before my contract is up. If I can get a reasonable system setup I may be able to downsize to 211ks or 722 or something they come out with in 2016. I might even find a way to Integrate OTA.
If I find a Linux based system , I could even put together an inexpensive dedicated PC out of spare parts I have already.

As I understand the situation, recordings made from Dish will only playback with Dish equipment. You can move a hard drive from one DVR to another, but you can't move it to any other system. Those three EHD's that you have are only good as long as you're a Dish customer.

Larry

larrykenney, you are absolutely correct. What I am looking for is a way to "display" the shows to an external recording device, like what we did with a VCR in the old days. Something that will accept a video feed ( looks like a TV to the Hopper) and capture it to the hard drive in my computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)