how can i tell if i have the latest software downloaded to DSR 205 ?

Software updates will happen automatically during the night but you need to turn the power off with your remote. When the receiver is tuned off it actually is in a "standby, ready to receive download" mode.. They usually push the downloads out around 2am and if you were to turn the receiver on when it's downloading you would find the screen displaying a screenful of numbers... Updates can take up to 45min. and you can't watch any programming while the update is in progress.
hope this helps
Terry

Here's my one experience with downloads, just FYI....

One time I got up at 2am to p**s, and noticed that my receiver was on (green light lit). I thought it was odd, but sometimes I do leave it on accidentally. I attempted to turn it off with the power switch on the unit, and then with the remote, but no way would it turn off. I suspected it might be a firmware update, so I turned on the TV and, as described above, there was a screenfull of numbers that changed constantly. I watched it for a few minutes, but decided it wasn't worth watching until the bitter end. In the morning the unit had turned itself off and all was well.

But to get back to the topic, I'm not sure that legacy receivers will receive any updates. I'm not sure if plugging in a legacy receiver with an out-of-date firmware will result in an automatic update to whatever is most current. I'd be interested to know.....

It seems to me that, when I took my DSR-315 out of service two years ago, it's firmware was called "F8". Perhaps that would be the same for the 205.

Shaw Direct to add Space HD and Drop HDNet

Bell TV to add 3 new HD Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)