How can I use "Split-screen"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnm356

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
TV is a new Sony Wega 42" LCD, and I'm new to DirecTV...

One of the features I was really looking forward to was the set's split-screen capability... It worked like a charm when it was still connected to cable, but now with DirecTV - since the TV is set to channel 3, that feature is now useless.

Is it possible to watch 2 channels at once, via a hardware upgrade or some other means??

TIA :confused:

If you have a receiver such as the HD Tivo (HR 10-250? I believe), it has 2 satellite inputs so you can watch 2 satellite channels at a time. If not you can watch Satellite and regular broadcast TV or DVD or VCR or a camera at your front door with split screen.

Your device would have to have 2 seperate tuners out to your TV for that to work. No Directv receiver will do that as of yet, maybe a future receiver.

Sure! Use two receivers! You can set the D10 receivers so one will work off the D* mode and the other will work off AV1/AV2 mode of the remote.

NVBlue, the Tivo series from D does not have two tuner cabapility. John, you'll need another reciever and another line ran from the dish to get your split screen or you could switch to Dish Network and get one of thier dual tuner recievers. I have the dual tuner 522 DVR and run my split screen off of that.

First for the best picture quality you should not be watching through channel 3 anyways. You should at minimum have it connect via Composite video. Not Sure on you Vega model but it "should" also have component video inputs. If your receiver is HD and you have component input on the tv that is the way to go. For your original question....you would need another source on either another composite input or your "antenna/cable" RF input. You could watch a composite video feed from you D* Sat box on one side and a Local Broadcast off a local antenna. Or as previously stated you can just get Two Boxes and use AV1 and AV2 as your inputs for your split screen. I have yet to see any tv that will allow you to watch a 1080i HD pic and still split the screen when using your component Video inputs. Normally you would actually down convert using the composite output of the HD Box and then another Composite input for the other side of your split screen.

wobbie said:
NVBlue, the Tivo series from D does not have two tuner cabapility.

Incorrect sir...
All* DirecTiVos have dual tuners.
That is what allows for watching one show while recording another.

To make a correct statement here you would need to say DirecTiVos do not have dual output. Fact is that currently, regardless of your connection type, the show that is being seen is the same thing that is being seen on every output of the DirecTivo.

johnm356,
You did not say what model Sony 42" LCD you had , but as homthtr said:
You should be using the Component inputs on your TV for the best picture, unless you have HDMI.....
I know all the newer Sony's have at least Component, probably 2.

homthtr,
you are correct, in everything you mentioned, you have more than 1 Component input, for multiple HD devices, however no TV's (that I have come across) will allow you to view more than one HD signal at a time.

So johnm356, you can hook up more than one Sat, 1 on each Composite input but you still will not we able to view both on the split screen.
You can, put a receiver on a composite input and watch 1 HD and 1 not . The TV will only process 1 HD signal at a time. this maybe differnt in upcoming years, but not yet.

My suggestion is (if you have OTA available) to use the HD receiver on one Component input and hook up the OTA into the rf input on the back of the TV. This is what I use.

I do not know if your set has a HD tuner built into it or not, if so this will work perfect.

Jimbo

I

Jimbos said:
johnm356,
homthtr,
you are correct, in everything you mentioned, you have more than 1 Component input, for multiple HD devices, however no TV's (that I have come across) will allow you to view more than one HD signal at a time.

Jimbo

I've had two Toshibas that allow split screen with two HD sources and it works perfect. My current 51H94, and my now dead 51H93 (RIP) both let me view a combination of OTA HD and other inputs in the split screen. Works great during football season. Two games on. One using the OTA HD tuner and the other using the D* receiver. I can just switch between the audio.

billbillw,
Well then I am jelious,
What inputs are you using ?

My 60" XBR is a few years old now, I can use the component for HD, or the HD tuner, but cannot have HD on both (for split screen purpose), I guess TV won't process both.

I can still enjoy 2 30" + pictures, when I do split. So I won't complain....

You are right, it's awesome for watching 2 games, I just put the more important game on the HD feed.

Jimbo

Jimbo,
I use my built in ATSC tuner to get one feed and HDMI input to feed from my HD Tivo. It works with component also. The older Toshiba (51H93) actually was more flexible. With the H93, I could display any combintation of two inputs/OTA together except for two OTA digital. The newer 51H94 does not let you put two inputs up at the same time in split screen. It can only do 1 OTA and 1 of the external inputs. Kinda strange, but that's just the way it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts