How can they do that?

joprandi said:
But why should I not have the option to sell the receiver. I paid for it in the first place!

Because DishNetwork is subsidizing the cost of the new receiver. You still have the option of paying $150 and then selling the original receiver. If you can get more than $50, you are golden.

I think it could also have something to do with Dish trying to make up for the additional outlet fee that would be received if the receiver would be an add on vs. if it would replace another receiver. Dish would receive $60 less per year to help them subsidize the cost of that 510 receiver so they want at least $50 one way or another to help subsidize it, if in face Dish does make $5 for the additional outlets.

I wonder if there is going to be any refurbished receivers available from Dish after these trade-in's?

adkinsjm said:
Guys, you're not understanding the terms and conditions. The offer is not $150 for the DVR 510. It's $99.
I don't think you understand what is being said about the offer.
If the offer stopped there - DVR 510 for $99 - it would be honest.
If the 510 is replacing an existing receiver, the $50 will be charged if the old receiver is not returned.
And that should be in the big print of the offer.

"TRADE IN your reciever and get a DVR 510 for $99."
or "Get a DVR 510 for $99 - NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY."

People shouldn't find out the small print after the fact.

JL

I just got the 510 on the upgrade plan (committed for two years-free plus paid the equipment fee so no CCA involved). I would consider it a trade-in plan since if you were replacing a older receiver with a new and improved model. I think they are using the same thinking like car dealers. If you want to get a better car, you either use your old car for trade-in value (which you really never get the true value of the car-has anyone ever got a great deal on a trade-in) or you sell your car on your own at the price that you want to get for the car and then use the profit to purchase a new car.

I believe that Dish realized that many customers would want to either keep the old receiver and later sell the equipment for a profit (which I think if you own the equipment you should have the right to do so) or just temporary use the 510 as an additional receiver and later disconnect and remove the old receiver.

Dish loses money on the equipment that it sells, especially on it free equipment promos. They make their money on the programming that we buy. The more programming we have, the more money Dish makes, so they can offset the lost of giving out free or reduced price equipment.

In my case, my old 7200 I replaced was a free receiver I got when I signed up for Dish, so even though I did seriously consider just selling it on eBay or elsewhere (heard people were getting around $200), I just decided to do the upgrade. Maybe in the future, I would sell the receiver first then just purchase the new receiver at the reduced price

I really think this is one of many trade in offers yo will see from now on. It makes sense for Dish to get all the older receivers off the market they can. One big reason is to get the horrid dishplayer (7100 & 7200 models) off the market. They are bug ridden and can't be used with the superdish anyway, just like most of the older receivers before the 301 that can't be used with the superdish also.

These older receivers can also be hacked easier than the newer one which will have built in smartcards. The older receivers can be recycled and everyone wins. The customer gets to get the newest cutting edge receiver at very little cost and Dish gets a new commitment to it's service for up to 1 to 2 years.

This is also something that Directv did that Dish didn't do. They have offered a way to upgrade to a newer receiver for like 59.00. Now Dish offers a trade in feature and it's free for a 2 year commitment to the top 50 .

The only thing I don't like is they want to install it and won't just ship it to me. I have 3/ 508s and a 721 and don't want to trade in any of my receivers. The only way I see around this is to drop one of the 508s and then add the new 510 so I don't have to loose any of my valuable receivers that I can use as a trade in for a new 522 or 921 from Dishdepot.com.

$4.98 fee

Anyone know what the"vod" fee is for? I called dish and got no real answer only that it's a"service fee",and they couldn't explain what the service is.

Video On Demand - DVR fee.

A subsidizing fee intended to put equipment in the hands of the video addicted at a lower up-front cost. Just pay your monthly bills and receive your visual fix. Rewind it fifty times on your "VOD" receiver if you want to. Just watch out for daylight savings time ;)

Hmmm, trying to get the older receivers off the market at the expense of customers instead of Dish Network, in a way. I guess Dish Network wants a compromise thinking "if we are going to give a customer a deal on this receiver, they are going to have to help us with getter the older ones off the market".

Perhaps Dish Network knowing that if the customer keeps the receiver activated instead of replacing it with a 510 that it will not be sold to someone else for them to do something with it plus Dish gets an additional $5 per month for an additional outlet fee in addition to that $5 for the DVR fee. Dish in reality is getting $10 extra per month when you add that onto the account.