How come I cant find a 612 to buy?

nthstar

Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
It seems like everywhere online I try to find a VIP612 to buy nobody has one.
Did they quit making them or something? Thanks (in advance) Nthstar

I think Dish missed the boat with not adding PIP to the ViP612. The 722 in single user mode is a far superior and what I'm told is far more stable. Heard they started this design back in 2005 and they had so many problems it took almost three years to get it to market. If this is true the technology is very old.

Really no pip on the single output 612 dvr? THAt really is a bit backwards . I don't see the need for this receiver at all. They should limit their vip line to the 622/722 dvrs and allow us the option to add another dual ota tuner to it so we could record 4 things at a time. OF course the new 722 model coming out next year will have this . I will definately want one or two of these dvrs when they come out next year.

Really no pip on the single output 612 dvr? THAt really is a bit backwards . I don't see the need for this receiver at all. They should limit their vip line to the 622/722 dvrs and allow us the option to add another dual ota tuner to it so we could record 4 things at a time. OF course the new 722 model coming out next year will have this . I will definately want one or two of these dvrs when they come out next year.

I t has bugs....That term I use for lack of better term.
Set up is a bitch....None of the techs i work with want to install them. I have put in like two or three. they are not popular.
The lack of PIP is a killler. Why Dish this is a mystery to me..
BTW a CSR told our office mgr that the phone line fee applies. That left me scratching my head. Because the box is designed to go to only one tv..

nStar,

Just purchased a ViP612 from dishdepot.com in first week of June. Put it in the bedroom for wife when I'm hogging all the 622 tuners in the den. : ) It works fine for what we need in the bedroom. It doesn't have PIP. but, my wife doesn't like that feature in a TV anyway. It does have an OTA hook-up for HD locals.

FYI (Unsolicited advice follows)
It is in an enclosed cabinet with a huge computer case fan and a cheap $10 fan from wally world. A/C piped into cabinet. Before I got the fans to pulling heat out, I ran the HD temp to 141. (OOOPS!) It crapped out with an error message. I did a power cord reset and haven't had any issues with it since. So, have cooling in place before turning on box.
END (Unsolicited advice)

I haven't experienced ANY bugs on this box, yet. It is a new box. I have surmised that the leased boxes that are "recycled" by E* to new customers seem to have the majority of the issues. But, that's just MY experience. Your mileage may vary. (i.e., my mom's 222 leased boxes. She's on her second one and still having freeze up issues).

So they are out there. I wish I had found the dishstore.net had a sale on them before I bought. I could have saved thirty bucks. Good Luck

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)