How did they get this job?

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
In my family we got a HDTV today (phillips a lcd about 36 inches)

we went into cc first...we got confused with some of the hdtv terms...but I know some stuff...so we're talking to the guy about programming and how it won't be true hd unless it's broadcast in hd and you can receive it that way...

OK so then in terms of programming he says the only way to get it is by satellite or cable...

I snapped back that I have a voom box you guys used to sell years ago and slapped rabbit ears on it so um...your wrong! It was like a cross to a vampire...he was like "Well...um..aa yeaaah...."

At BB at least the guys weren't pushing for installation being done at your house for another $150 and forcing subscription...heck I even saw a moviebeam at this BB :D

A little advice my friend. Get a life! I don't work at Circuit City, but I do have to deal with the public. I work at a place called Wal-mart. I assume you've heard of it. Anyways, I work in the Electronics department and have for almost 5 years now. What I do hate is dealing with people that come in there just to give me a hard time and make themselves feel better and far superior to me, while making me feel inferior in the process. It's not enough that people like us have to slave away at these jobs for minimum wage with no commission and kiss your sorry butts just to please you and to keep you from making a scene. Well, I'm sick of it! The guy you just insulted probably might not have known exactly what he was talking about, but you don't have to make him feel like an idiot and take pleasure in it. Think before you talk or act next time, ok? Also, whenever you reply, make sure that you don't tell me if I don't like where I work to get another job. I get that same response when I make a reply to someone like yourself. If I could get another job and make as much on the minimum wage scale and still go to college (which is the reason that I work at Wal-mart in the first place so I can get a better job and not have to kiss people's butts for the rest of my life), then believe me I would. Think before you act. If someone doesn't know what they're talking about, just let them know that it isn't right, but don't make a scene out of the whole situation or make someone look dumb. We're all humans here and we all deserve respect in society. If you cannot give someone their respect and dignity, then I'm sure there are other societies that would be more tolerable of your manner.

Here we go again with the whole we must coddle the uninformed or uneducated so we don't hurt their feelings! WAH, stop the crying already!

What ever happened to someone just being man (or woman) enough to say I am sorry sir (or ma'am) I do not know, I do not have that answer or information but I will find out for you or find someone that does. If you don't want your feelings hurt; get your company or boss to train you or get out of that industry; or here is a novel idea; tell the damn truth upfront and then you won't get blasted about your lack of knowledge, the truth goes a LONG way.

And BTW, I managed to put myself through school without having to work a minimum wage or part-time job at a Wal-Mart type job or the like; so boo-frekidy-hoo. We all make our choices, so deal with it or change your scenery.

Please move this discussion to the PIT where it likely belongs.

Nice attitude charper. You know people that have your kind of out look on life is the reason why society is going down the drain as we speak. You don't care about the people of society. You don't care about anybody you may hurt. You don't care about anybody but yourself period. You're the one with the problem my friend. You and the rest of the bunch of others in society who care nothing about others but yourself. Whatever happened to respecting others ideas or opinions? Whatever happened to openmindedness? Such a sad world indeed. Oh, so are you saying that you didn't have to work in order to go to college? Did mommy and daddy pay your way through college? It must be nice to have a free-way ticket to success. Too bad I didn't turn out to be a spoiled brat. Too bad I'm a nice enough guy to stand up for others when others are taken down. Too bad that I'm a guy who likes to respect people. Too bad I'm not like other selfish people.

LOL! Totally freaking funny. I and people like me are the downfall of society! What a joke. God forbid we as a society expect people to have any pride in their jobs and themselves or that we expect them to be knowledgeable at what they were hired and get paid to do. Maybe its people like you, that only care about hanging around on the clock and getting by just enough to get a paycheck, that are the real problem. I could care less if you make $6/hr or $60/hr take some pride in yourself to do the best job you can at all times; if you can't, maybe you should quit and let a REAL HARD WORKER that might be unemployed take your place. That lousy pride and work ethic you have now will be ingrained in you and continue REGARDLESS of that education you think are getting. Who you are as a person, as a MAN, are not learned in any book or school.

You also need to LEARN TO READ & UNDERSTAND!

Oh, so are you saying that you didn't have to work in order to go to college? Did mommy and daddy pay your way through college? It must be nice to have a free-way ticket to success. Too bad I didn't turn out to be a spoiled brat. Too bad I'm a nice enough guy to stand up for others when others are taken down. Too bad that I'm a guy who likes to respect people. Too bad I'm not like other selfish people.

From the post just before yours (#3);
"And BTW, I managed to put "myself" through school without having to work a minimum wage or part-time job at a Wal-Mart type job or the like; so boo-frekidy-hoo. We all make our choices, so deal with it or change your scenery."

I managed to hold a decent paying F/T job on my own that WAS NOT Wal-Mart, while I went to F/T school. AND STILL I managed to have pride in my work and making sure I knew what I was doing and talking about when dealing with customers. The point is (and was) that why is being at Wal-Mart the ONLY choice? Why is being at Wal-Mart an excuse not to care to do your very best? That attitude sure is demeaning to the vast majority of all other Wal-Mart employees, or any other minimum wage / lower wage workers, that ALWAYS take pride and do GREAT work.

Wal-Mart surely was a choice, but wasn't my only choice; maybe that's what you settled on; maybe it was the easy option. Maybe that is all your town has as options, so maybe you should move if you are not happy with the economic climate. Like I said before we all make our own choices for whatever reasons; so live with that choice you made, BUT you should still have pride in yourself and your work.

Are you just expecting those that do good hard work to pick up the slack for those that don't; so you can do whatever else you want to besides good work; all the while complaining about it and your personal situation?

Last edited:
"What I do hate is dealing with people that come in there just to give me a hard time and make themselves feel better and far superior to me, while making me feel inferior in the process."

I wasn't giving the guy a hard time I was just pointing out the obvious. Nowhere on any of the TV's did it say that satellite or cable was mandatory. Heck in walmart it clearly states on some of the boxes that there is OTA but that it varies on the market.

"It's not enough that people like us have to slave away at these jobs for minimum wage with no commission and kiss your sorry butts just to please you and to keep you from making a scene."

I know some that work at walmart that get quite a bit more than the minimum wage...for federal minimum I know someone making about 85% above that...

"Well, I'm sick of it! The guy you just insulted probably might not have known exactly what he was talking about, but you don't have to make him feel like an idiot and take pleasure in it. "

I didn't take pleasure in it but it was quite odd that he tried to sell a $190 installation and then claim he gets no commission and yet there's a budget written on a white board right behind him! If he's trying to sell products that are easily a few thousand and then charge a good 10% for installation at the very least they should know about the connections.

And like I said the guy at BB didn't push for installation and was honest about the programming. Maybe the difference is in the training....I dunno

I work in a big box store myself but it's store policy that if you don't know the answer to a question then you ARE supposed to simply say that you don't know. It's better to give no advice than bad advice (especially when someones personal safety is involved...we get asked things on building/government codes and it's illegal for us to cite them)

In my family we got a HDTV today (phillips a lcd about 36 inches)

we went into cc first...OK so then in terms of programming he says the only way to get it is by satellite or cable...

They make a commission on the subscription, but don't install outdoor antennas. It's simple economics.

Charper hit the nail on the head with this one. It's really tough going into BB or CC and then have someone tell you something that you know for a fact is a whopper, just because they don't bother to get informed or it's just too easy to not bother. I'm lucky, I've got a really good BB here, but the CC is just worthless for information. They would rather hire a high school kid that just LOVES to work there than get someone that wants to learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts