How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

Quantum- Why should you even care? Just go out and buy a low cost USB hard drive, plug it in and forget about it. There are far more important issues than all this belly aching about a partition reserved in your 622 that is holding content you can have access to for a fee, Partition space you never had and probably never will have. My suggestion is to just forget about it. Not worth making such a stink over.
It's not really the space Don, which as you say can be had pretty cheap these days, it's the principle. We keep getting more and more encroached upon by business and government as ethics and common sense go down the tubes.

For example, now that we can finally afford all HDD storage we want, we're starting to see the beginnings of loosing our options of what we can put on them.

The last few years providers have led the consumer down the HD DVR path and for at least two years we've heard nothing but how great external storage is going to be and that as long as we remain with Dish we'll be able to have rows of HDDs along our book sheves, crammed with HD movies. How many of you spent money with Dish based on that?

Well fast forward to 2008 and we've already lost one of the main advantages of the HD-DVR and external storage - the HD PPVs. Oh well, at least we can sub to the premium HD channels and fill our HDDs from there......but wait, we're already hearing rumblings that HBO and others may invoke DRM options to take that away too.

The last few years providers have led the consumer down the HD DVR path and for at least two years we've heard nothing but how great external storage is going to be and that as long as we remain with Dish we'll be able to have rows of HDDs along our book sheves, crammed with HD movies. How many of you spent money with Dish based on that?

Well fast forward to 2008 and we've already lost one of the main advantages of the HD-DVR and external storage - the HD PPVs. Oh well, at least we can sub to the premium HD channels and fill our HDDs from there......but wait, we're already hearing rumblings that HBO and others may invoke DRM options to take that away too.

Well and true but you can't blame Dish. Blame the studios, blame the movie industry, mostly blame your Congressman or Senator :mad:, they are the ones forcing DRM down ours and the providers throats.

Quantum- Why should you even care? Just go out and buy a low cost USB hard drive, plug it in and forget about it. There are far more important issues than all this belly aching about a partition reserved in your 622 that is holding content you can have access to for a fee, Partition space you never had and probably never will have. My suggestion is to just forget about it. Not worth making such a stink over.
"Belly aching"? "Stink over"? Why such negative characterizations, Don? Have I done something to wrong you?

Apparently you are not reading carefully because I do not even have a 6/722. I am trying to confirm the way this works so I can explain it to my customers, who do have 6/722's. When they ask me whether this is taking away their hard disk space I need to be able to answer honestly and accurately.

The purpose of a forum is to ask questions and to explore the limits of others' knowledge. If people here do not know how this works, so be it. I am just trying to find someone who knows. Why can't you put up with that? Why would you poison the water like this, Don? Obviously now I'll never get an answer.

Quantum, I posted the info. OK, lets do that again.
Hidden partitons 1, 2 and 3; #2 using for VOD; #3 for your recordings.
Code:
250 GB:
 Partition 1:     EFSMisc, 477350933,478374932,  1023999,  64 [523 MB]
 Partition 2: ES_RESERVED, 364104725,477350932,113246207,8192 [ 57 GB]
 Partition 3:   AV_REQ_HD,    131072,364104724,363973652,8192 [186 GB]

320 GB:
 Partition 1:     EFSMisc,   1024000,  2867748,  1843748,  64 [943 MB]
 Partition 2: ES_RESERVED,   2867749,212582948,209715199,8192 [107 GB]
 Partition 3:   AV_REQ_HD, 212582949,615236130,402653181,8192 [206 GB]

500 GB:
 Partition 1:     EFSMisc, 964820992,966866850,  2045858,  64 [  1 GB]
 Partition 2: ES_RESERVED, 629276672,964820991,335544319,8192 [171 GB]
 Partition 3:   AV_REQ_HD,    131072,629276671,629145599,8192 [322 GB]

Last edited:
Watched the movie last night in 1080p ...

Very nice ...

When blue ray gets below $150 ... I'll probably jump in ...

Been thinking about that one.

Given the quality of the 1080p24 downloads, I'm not so sure that I'll even bother getting a BluRay player. I generally watch movies one time and that's it. With around 80 DVDs that sit in a nice cabinet collecting dust, I may skip the whole BD player system.

In one of the other online forums, I posed the question that if this 1080p24 download of Dish has changed their mind about buying a BD system. Most the response blasted Dish and said that it couldn't possibly be as good. In my opinion, its as good or better and given that I don't have to worry about buying additional hardware and all the glitches that BD players are having, it somewhat a no brainer for me. I can enjoy the movie and not be stressing about the movie freezing or the player locking up. I'm just having to fight that gadget buying side of me that likes new toys. :)

Just noticed the 'Turbo charged' when turning the TV on yesterday. So I went online to see what this is all about. I read about IAL, and so when looking in the Dish on Demand 'interactive application.' It wasn't there. Found out about channel 501, and there it was.

I have 622 w/ L612 and a Panny AE1000U projector, which is 1080p24 capable. I did the test. The screen flickered over and over for 15 seconds, with the picture coming in and out. I tried it again with the Panny's menu active, and it showed rapid switching between no signal and 1080p24. Finally, it timed out and went back.

I've been using 1080p24 in this setup for over a year now with HD-DVD and my computer, both via HDMI. This is the first time to date in 1.5+ years I've had trouble connecting any source to the Panny.

It looks like Dish still has some issues to work out with their new firmware. But who knows when that will be. Reading through this thread, it sounds like CS won't be of much help, either.

Thank you Smith, P. I'd searched this thread to back when ppl were anticipating 6.10 and did not find your post. Must have posted it elsewhere.

I surmise that the 500GB drive is in the 722 and the 320 is in the 622, but what is the 250 in? The 612?

I wonder what partition 1 is for? The OS? If so, why does it take so long to write new firmware? Where/how is the virtual smartcard stored?

Just noticed the 'Turbo charged' when turning the TV on yesterday. So I went online to see what this is all about. I read about IAL, and so when looking in the Dish on Demand 'interactive application.' It wasn't there. Found out about channel 501, and there it was.

I have 622 w/ L612 and a Panny AE1000U projector, which is 1080p24 capable. I did the test. The screen flickered over and over for 15 seconds, with the picture coming in and out. I tried it again with the Panny's menu active, and it showed rapid switching between no signal and 1080p24. Finally, it timed out and went back.

I've been using 1080p24 in this setup for over a year now with HD-DVD and my computer, both via HDMI. This is the first time to date in 1.5+ years I've had trouble connecting any source to the Panny.

It looks like Dish still has some issues to work out with their new firmware. But who knows when that will be. Reading through this thread, it sounds like CS won't be of much help, either.

In other applications, that could be the result of the sequence that each deviced is turned on. Try turning off both and start with turning on the projector first. Then turn on the 622 and try the 1080p24 test. Let us know if this makes any difference.

Thank you Smith, P. I'd searched this thread to back when ppl were anticipating 6.10 and did not find your post. Must have posted it elsewhere.

I surmise that the 500GB drive is in the 722 and the 320 is in the 622, but what is the 250 in? The 612?

I wonder what partition 1 is for? The OS? If so, why does it take so long to write new firmware? Where/how is the virtual smartcard stored?

Your suggestion about HDD models and DVR models almost correct, but for factory configuration. All those disks could works in any model, a key word is here 'approved' model. Not any disk will be accepted by FW.

Partitioning: on the disks exists a few more - Linux type: one for system logs, other for multimedia files (photos), third - swap;
one more - last one is trickiest, marked as Linux, but inside it located proprietary three Dish EFS partitions as you saw in my post above.

If you did ask about EFS Partition 1, then it is still empty; could be for future use.

Can you elaborate that rumor about 'virtual smartcard' ? I never heard about it.

I thought I'd skip forward and see what the next 1080p movie would be.

Program guide is only populated to August 31. Anyone else's go out further or knows what the next movie will be? To do daily skips, once you bring up the program guide, press the 30 second skip forward for each day.

In other applications, that could be the result of the sequence that each deviced is turned on. Try turning off both and start with turning on the projector first. Then turn on the 622 and try the 1080p24 test. Let us know if this makes any difference.

I wish that were the case. I've already tried all this, with no luck. I've tried power cycling the projector, the AVR, and the 622 (soft and hard reset). I tried using the HDMI cable I use for the HD-DVD player, and connecting the 622 directly to the projector skipping the AVR and power cycling both. Same results every time - 1080p24 flickers off and on for 15 seconds until it times out.

JimP said:
How long is the HDMI cable??
The one I first used was 15 feet. The second one I substituted in directly from 622 to projector that's currently used for HD-DVD is 3 feet. The 15 foot cable I have used before has half of a 30 foot run from computer to projector at 1080p24. Either way, 1080p24 is less video bandwidth than 1080i60, which the 622 is currently set at, so if 1080i works over that cable, there's no reason 1080p24 shouldn't.

Can you elaborate that rumor about 'virtual smartcard' ? I never heard about it.
There is no smartcard in the slot, so its functions must be embedded in the firmware. Or maybe calls are made to a specialized ASIC or FPGA for decryption.

But what is certain is there is no smartcard for decryption, and apparently the embedded or virtual smartcard has been cracked or they wouldn't be going to the expense of the mailing.

Just academic interest, you see. :rolleyes:

I thought I'd skip forward and see what the next 1080p movie would be.

Program guide is only populated to August 31. Anyone else's go out further or knows what the next movie will be? To do daily skips, once you bring up the program guide, press the 30 second skip forward for each day.

Since it is not a real channel, I bet it will not show up in the guide until the next movie has been downloaded to the receiver. Then the receiver will put in the fake guide entry.

Some tech info about the first 1080p movie:

time to download < 3 hrs,
size = 11 GB,
used for download channel FVOD 5749 at 110W tp16,
play with CVR = 15 Mbps,
video H.264 MPEG-4 compression
audio AC-3, eng.

So, for those who don't see it on ch501 - check signal on tp 16 and 24 of 110W.

I should add more data: that ch FVOD [Fast VOD ?] spooling plug-in software for process movie download and movie's stream reside on 110W tp24 occupying bandwidth 20 Mbps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)