How do cband dish track the arc

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
I am in the process or acquiring a cband dish and only have a small area to install it in so I need to know how the dish moves to track the arc as I am use to ku dish and motor i know I need an actuator

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not all C dishes use an actuator, my HH mount uses a small motor and gears. As for the actual range of movement, I'd estimate that my 9' moves within a 15' to 20' or so space maybe, tracking from 60W to 127W. I could check tomorrow if you want. How small of a space are you installing in and what size dish are you getting?

Not all C dishes use an actuator, my HH mount uses a small motor and gears. As for the actual range of movement, I'd estimate that my 9' moves within a 15' to 20' or so space maybe, tracking from 60W to 127W. I could check tomorrow if you want. How small of a space are you installing in and what size dish are you getting?

7.5 ft dish and the same area as I have my 1.2m that can go 30W to 139w on a DG 380 but I am only interested in see 72w to 137w on the cband dish

Am I missing something here?

Prime focus dishes rotate on a central axis or pivot point. Example: A 10' dish takes up a maximum of 10' in any direction that it is pointed. You might want to also estimate the feedhorn distance if it is exceptionally long.... :D

Prime focus dishes rotate on a central axis or pivot point. Example: A 10' dish takes up a maximum of 10' in any direction that it is pointed. You might want to also estimate the feedhorn distance if it is exceptionally long.... :D

was trying to visualize the pivot point as opposed to a ku motor like the DG 380 I have

The axis your motor rotates the Ku dish = the axis the BUD will move about. It's the 'polar axis'.

So he would need a 7.5'x7.5' area for the C-band dish he's looking into picking up, right? It sounded to me like he wanted an idea of the area that the C-band dish would need, but I could be wrong, definitely wouldn't be the first time.

So he would need a 7.5'x7.5' area for the C-band dish he's looking into picking up, right? It sounded to me like he wanted an idea of the area that the C-band dish would need, but I could be wrong, definitely wouldn't be the first time.

That too is what I wanted to know also everything in this thread has help my understanding of a prime focus setup

Last edited:
Remember to give yourself enough room to work on the dish. Generally the area needed for rotation is no more than the diameter of the dish, but you will want room to get a ladder in there for access to the feedhorn/lnbf. In my case, My actuator is on the west side of the dish, So I allowed an extra 2' on the west side figuring that I would move the dish as far west as possible (lowest part of the arc), in order to service the feedhorn. The further south you are, the more space you will need because your elevation is higher.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)