How do I connect a audigy external usb soundblaster in to sony ss-u45 speakers?

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Today my father-in-law gave me a couple of gigantic old sony ss-u45 speakers. I was thinking about trying to hook it all up to my fta system, but I've never fiddled with ancient speakers like these before and am unsure what sort of a connector I need to get to make them work. The speakers have two screws in the back with a + and - ... what sort of a connecter do I need to get from radio shack or elsewhere that will let miniplugs or similar type of newer speaker wires convert over in to speakers like this?

you can get miniplugs to rca to speaker wire adapters at radio shack. but the soundblaster may not have enough ampage to power the speakers. or you can use a mini stereo rca adapter out from the soundblaster to a standard stereo rca cable into any receiver's aux input and wire the speakers to the receiver. the bare speaker wire can twisted and put into each respective + or - terminal. or you could put some banana plugs on the bare ends if you like- i never mess with the banana plugs though.

the latter is what i use for my mac. stereo minijack out to rca to a vintage techincs receiver. i have some old mission speakers and an x-sub on my desktop system that sound way better than those puny desktop speakers. and i also have a pair of outdoor speakers that are outdoors on our patio wired to the secondary speaker outputs of the receiver. when i want to sit outside and have a cold one i shuffle the itunes and sit outside and it rocks...

dag gonit...

yep... you are right, the amps aren't high enough in the soundblaster... these speakers require 40v... got some cords from radio shack and got the speakers hooked up to my stereo upstairs... the soundblaster idea was a good one, but the audigy just doesn't put out enough voltage to power up those speakers... I'm just gonna swap the old stereo's speakers with these and go with that. It doesn't change a lot in the setup, but does free up some sockets on a surge protector since I don't have to use the computer speakers anymore - those had to be plugged in to an outlet as well as to a sound source... the old radio speaker doesn't use outlets, just hooks in to the mini-plug jack. Freeing up that extra socket or two on the surge protector will help next year when I get one of those new hd to analog converter deals that we have to get before the analog tv shutoff in 2009.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sony to Launch Ultra-Thin TV

Windows Vista SP1 Info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts