Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok as you might have seen I have been trying for a long time now to get S2/8PSK signals... Today I tried getting one of the networks I wanted on my 4 foot KU dish, which I haven't used since I put up my C/KU band Dish this summer.

I plugged the Dish into my AZBox, setup USALS then went to the satellite I wanted and BOOM I instantly had the S2/8PSK signals I wanted! (Happy Happy!!)

So now I would like to do this if its at all possible.

My C/KU Band dish is switched in the LNB using DISEqC. The C/KU Band dish moves using a GBOX, via DOCSIS 1.2.

The 4 Foot KU band Dish that I have out there, I would like to also hook into my AZBOX and move that Dish with USALS.

Now can I take a 22KHZ Switch (I think I have one around here) and hook it up with the C/KU Dish on one port (22KHZ Off) and the other 4 Foot KU band Dish on the 22KHZ switch (in the ON port) then be able to use both Dishes (and if I want move the KU Dish via USALS.

Will this work?

I know I need to go out there and tweek my C Band Dish, but its 4 degrees above zero today... It's COLD! :)

Thanks for any tips you can provide. :)

You're describing my set up. I've got a C and Ku dish.

I have my Azbox connected to the Gbox, that feeds through to a 4x1 switch (because I couldn't find my ecoda 22khz) and then I put my BUD on port one and Ku on port 2.

I have both dishes using diseqc 1.2 but the gbox and DG380 don't have any overlapping positions.

Works great for me. Should for you too.

Scott,
I've used an Ecoda 22khz switch to select between a Fixed dish and a motorized setup without problem. In your case, though, I think you are sending Diseqc commands to your Gbox from the Azbox, and I think both the hh motor and Gbox will respond, since the Ecoda switch is not going to isolate Diseqc commands by port ( I think ) . I think that IF you used the Gbox manually ( not controlled by the Azbox, if possible ) you would be okay.
I don't think 2 different motorized setups can be controlled from a single receiver using a 22khz switch to select. Won't even dwell on the fact that the 22khz switch is not rated for motor current, but mine worked for over a year before I reconfigured the system.
:)

Hmm maybe I just need an AB switch then..

I cant do anything aboiut the C/KU switch as that is built into the LNB on the Dish.

Well I just tried it and it didn't work.

From an old 22KHZ switch that I purchased from Sadoun a few years ago. I hooked up the KU going out to the KU dish up to the 22KHZ side. Went into the AZBox settings and turned 22KHZ on and had picture on 103KU.

I then hooked up the wire from the GBOX into the second port and tried using the C/KU and the 22KHZ kept buzzing and turning the GBOX on and off.

I did not try putting the switch after the GBOX, dont know if that would have made a difference or not.

As I said before perhaps I will need to get me an A/B switch, which I dont like as I like watching and being able to control my stuff via the Slingbox.

Most 22KHz switches require both ports to be connected in order to work properly. Turn off all components and try this configuration:
stb to 22khz, 22khz/0 port to ku, 22kHz/22 port to Gbox, Gbox to DiSEqC switch. Now power on components and configure the receiver. You may need to place the 22khz after the motor, but have never tried that config.

Ok as you might have seen I have been trying for a long time now to get S2/8PSK signals... Today I tried getting one of the networks I wanted on my 4 foot KU dish, which I haven't used since I put up my C/KU band Dish this summer.

I plugged the Dish into my AZBox, setup USALS then went to the satellite I wanted and BOOM I instantly had the S2/8PSK signals I wanted! (Happy Happy!!)

So now I would like to do this if its at all possible.

My C/KU Band dish is switched in the LNB using DISEqC. The C/KU Band dish moves using a GBOX, via DOCSIS 1.2.

The 4 Foot KU band Dish that I have out there, I would like to also hook into my AZBOX and move that Dish with USALS.

Now can I take a 22KHZ Switch (I think I have one around here) and hook it up with the C/KU Dish on one port (22KHZ Off) and the other 4 Foot KU band Dish on the 22KHZ switch (in the ON port) then be able to use both Dishes (and if I want move the KU Dish via USALS.

Will this work?

I know I need to go out there and tweek my C Band Dish, but its 4 degrees above zero today... It's COLD! :)

Thanks for any tips you can provide. :)

Yes it will work, thats my setup im running now. Usuals w/ KU and Diseq 1.2 w/ gbox and cband. On mine I have cband on 22khz on and KU on the off. It works flawlessly. I can even adjust KU w/ 1.2, but it moves both dish's, so be careful where Cbands parked if you are fine tuning a KU band signal so you dont inadvertently go past your limits.

Well I just tried it and it didn't work.

From an old 22KHZ switch that I purchased from Sadoun a few years ago. I hooked up the KU going out to the KU dish up to the 22KHZ side. Went into the AZBox settings and turned 22KHZ on and had picture on 103KU.

I then hooked up the wire from the GBOX into the second port and tried using the C/KU and the 22KHZ kept buzzing and turning the GBOX on and off.

I did not try putting the switch after the GBOX, dont know if that would have made a difference or not.

As I said before perhaps I will need to get me an A/B switch, which I dont like as I like watching and being able to control my stuff via the Slingbox.

My encoda switch is after the Gbox, I think it makes a difference. Infact how my setup is,

**********************------- Cband
Pansat 92oo------Gbox------Encoda**************--------Circular
**********************-------- Ku-----Diseq Swich
*****************************************--------- Linear

Scott if you need help pm me and Ill get you hooked up :)

One limitation of either putting the GBOX before the 22 kHz switch or both the GBOX and the Ku motor after the 22 kHz switch (as seen from the tuner) is in some cases both dishes will move when you only want to change one.

I think a better solution is to use a DiSEqC 4x1 switch. For about $5, it will pass the motor commands only to the desired motor. Some people don't like to drive DiSEqC motors through DiSEqC switches, but almost all such switches are designed to do this and rated for such.

Not so long as both motors use different position numbers.

I've got my Gbox using positions 1 through 20 and the 380 using 20-50 or whatever. That's how I made sure only one would move no matter what I had set up for switches.

Sure, but what if I bump/step the motor position from the receiver? Of course I can make sure the GBOX is turned off when I bump the Ku motor, and only bump the GBOX using its remote or front panel. But I always prefer a system design where a checklist is not required to make a common change, especially when other family members are involved in its operation. The cost of a 22 kHz switch is about the same as a 4x1 DiSEqC switch, but the latter can make for a cleaner implementation. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to change their system, but simply pointing out another solution to the problem.

I've got my Gbox using positions 1 through 20 and the 380 using 20-50 or whatever. That's how I made sure only one would move no matter what I had set up for switches.
Very interesting approach. Could you describe in detail, how exactly you do that? What software and STBs allow to mark or extract & change & indicate to the receiver preferred motor position numbers?

You can do that on a AZBox. :)

You can do it on a Fortec Lifetime, a Fortec Ultra, and a Diamond 9000 using the appropriate channel editor programs.

You can do it on a Fortec Mercury, but only by using a binary editor on the channel data file (ie a lot of work).

You can't do it on a Coolsat 8100.

You can also do it with most computer card or USB receivers using TSREADER and some other programs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)