how do I find a local antenna repairman, or installer?

wolfcrane

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Central Florida
Hi,
We have a tower ( I think it is a 40 or 50 ft. telescoping tower ) and antenna, but we're only getting a few channels. I know the rotor works, but there is no inside controller. We live in a more rural area too. The antenna seems to be in good shape, but we just don't know what to do. I am disabled, and am unable to fix it myself. Unfortunately, funds also limit me in what I can do also. Should I get the antenna replaced, or repaired? How much would it cost me? Also, how do I find someone in my area that can help? My zip is 34436. Thanks in advance.

We have a tower ( I think it is a 40 or 50 ft. telescoping tower ) and antenna, but we're only getting a few channels. I know the rotor works, but there is no inside controller. We live in a more rural area too. The antenna seems to be in good shape, but we just don't know what to do. I am disabled, and am unable to fix it myself. Unfortunately, funds also limit me in what I can do also. Should I get the antenna replaced, or repaired? How much would it cost me? Also, how do I find someone in my area that can help? My zip is 34436.

More than likely finding someone to climb a tower is not going to be easy at all as shops that used to repair TV have gone out of business or unless they know the tower will not climb it due to the risk. Check by calling your local TV repair shops would be the first thing to do and get some estimates.
I know that it's going to cost my insurance company this summer 500 dollars to have a truck come out and remove my antenna system for me to repair it and then reinstall.
I

If you do find someone and before you let anyone climb your tower make sure they have the correct insurance in case they'd fall from it and I'd also check with your insurance company about what is covered under your policy. If they don't have a lineman belt or the correct safety equipment as the last thing you need is someone to sue you. Now I have no ideal what type insurance Dish has to cover their workers, if any, but I'm sure it doesn't cover tower work.

Thanks. There is one business that is about 40 miles away, so i guess I will have to call him. If I could get up there myself; I'd do it. The tower has one of those cranks that raises and lowers it, but they'd still have to climb it.

I "may" be able to get a family member, or friend to do it. my brother actually has a climbing harness at work. If i was to buy an antenna to replace the one we have, what should I get? We want both VHF & UHF, and we live about 65 miles or so, from Tampa & Orlando. Aren't there antennas that don't require you to rotate them ( multidirectional or omnidirectional )?
Thanks.

Yes there are omnidirectional antennas very few will come close to working at 65 miles.My suggestion would be aim a good antenna at Orlando forget about a rotor and see if you can get any channels outside of Orlando. The problem with rotors is they will fail and most likely will fail aimed where you don't want them.

Last edited:
I was looking at this one:
[h=1]Orca Antenna AX-909G2 Stealth Indoor Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Motor Rotor[/h]I know it's not multidirectional though.

Never seen this one, and it seems to be promising too much. However........

I found it listed on amazon. The reviews seemed to be pretty good, and they have a warranty on it. I wish I can find out more about it.

I looked at TVfool for your zipcode and you are on the fringe of both markets but very doable especially with the flat terrain of Florida. Yes the tower would be optimal for installing the antenna but you may do very well with one installed much lower. A 4 bay or 8 bay flat antenna may get everything you are looking for out of one or both markets. VHF would be difficult on this style antenna at that range but it looks like the networks are available on other UHF stations in the area.

Since money is tight you may want to look at one of the 4 bay designs online to build your own. They are easy to build and can be modified to pickup VHF-HI stations as well. You can make one without the reflector screen and strap it to the side of your tower for testing. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up several stations with the antenna only a few feet off the ground.

mclapp M4 antenna free designs and kits: DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more

I was looking at this one:
Orca Antenna AX-909G2 Stealth Indoor Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Motor Rotor

I know it's not multidirectional though.

Please don't buy this especially at the Amazon price of $69! This design can be found any day of the week on ebay for less than $30 with free shipping. They are sold under several brand names and really are only good for 30 miles or less. The rotor is push button so you have no control over where the antenna stops.

These cheap Chinese antennas are mostly POS for fringe reception.

The antenna itself is small and inadequate for more than 30 mile reception if that.

All their 100 mile reception claims come from having a cheap high power pre-amp attached, which is great at amplifying all the noise the antenna picks up, but not so good for TV signal amplification.

For less than $50 you can buy a real antenna that is twice as good from a reputable Satellite/TV antenna dealer like the ones who SPONSOR forums like these, not the advertisers - the SPONSORS.

My biggest problems are that i am limited in what I can do physically, due to disabilities, and the rest is due to finances. I know it is harder to find the most bang for my buck, with little money, and/or with the lack of skills, or ability. Rock & a hard place i guess.
Thanks for all of the advice. I do appreciate it.

My biggest problems are that i am limited in what I can do physically, due to disabilities, and the rest is due to finances. I know it is harder to find the most bang for my buck, with little money, and/or with the lack of skills, or ability. Rock & a hard place i guess.
Thanks for all of the advice. I do appreciate it.

Since you have limitations then my advice is to sell your tower and put the money towards a Dish package and that will get you your local TV channels and some others. I'm sure that someone in your area would buy it as a new 45 foot one can cost around 3,000 dollars from US Towers and priced right yours should sell easily.

Since you have limitations then my advice is to sell your tower and put the money towards a Dish package and that will get you your local TV channels and some others.
If someone has financial limitations, the last thing they need is an ongoing monthly payment. OTA is free after paying for hardware, of course.
I'm sure that someone in your area would buy it as a new 45 foot one can cost around 3,000 dollars from US Towers and priced right yours should sell easily.
My money says he'd be lucky to find someone to even tear it down for SCRAP value, let alone pay money outright for it.

I was looking at this one: Orca Antenna AX-909G2 Stealth Indoor Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Motor Rotor
I know it's not multidirectional though.
I still follow a rule I read someone post over at AVS Forums: If the antenna looks "cool", avoid it !

That one also claims a 150-mile range... In a perfectly setup scenario, maybe it could. Many antenna makers stick to typical ranges, not absolute best-case scenarios.

My money says he'd be lucky to find someone to even tear it down for SCRAP value, let alone pay money outright for it

When was the last time you priced a used tower because here in Iowa Rohn 25G tower are still bring in a good price and you have to take them down so a tower like he has would be a hot item especically to a Ham operator.
As far as limitations go what happens when he spends the money and still doesn't get a good picture or has problems, is he going to be able to fix the problem on his own, doesn't sound like it, so he'd have to hire someone and spend more money.

Last edited:
You might try talking to sign companies. They have the equipment. They might not do it as a company, but perhaps they have an employee that would do it on the side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts