How do I get D* to repair this damage?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish VIP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Reno DMA
A not so professional HD upgrade done on my folk's house. Anyone know what we should do to have DirecTV fix the broken chimney? Stucco over red brick on the spanish tile roof of a two story house. I thought they don't do stucco installs but they did and f'ed it up bad.

Attachments

• DSC00448.JPG
    DSC00448.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC00449.JPG
    DSC00449.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC00450.JPG
    DSC00450.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC00452.JPG
    DSC00452.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 402
I had a stucco install in AZ with no issues as do many neighbors, but to me, it "looks" like the dipoles should have been installed more in a upward fashion to relieve stress and loads as opposed to the lower fashion and the left on looks way to close to the corner.

How old is that install? That may help and the pictures do as well. What steps have you taken so far? Do you have all the original paperwork?

They just did it last week. I guess some kid came out and couldn't finish it and said they would have to come back. Some other guys came Sunday to finish it but wouldn't go on ther roof. They said it should never have been installed there, but that they would come back Monday with a longer ladder and finish the install. Supposedly the first kid couldn't fine tune the dish for the new sats.

Monday came and went with no call no show from the installers. My mom called the number she has for the installers. The company is in another State and time zone, who knows where. Anyhow they said they would have to schedule a service call and charge us for what is actually an incomplete install.

With this news I got in the action and called DirecTV corp. tech support and got a very sympathetic csr who escalated the job to an unfinished install and credited my folks for their missing service. In the meantime I went up to take a closer look and discovered this damage.

Yep, I think you will get covered; let us know how it turns out and you steps for resolution to assist other users.

They just did it last week. I guess some kid came out and couldn't finish it and said they would have to come back. Some other guys came Sunday to finish it but wouldn't go on ther roof. They said it should never have been installed there, but that they would come back Monday with a longer ladder and finish the install. Supposedly the first kid couldn't fine tune the dish for the new sats.

Monday came and went with no call no show from the installers. My mom called the number she has for the installers. The company is in another State and time zone, who knows where. Anyhow they said they would have to schedule a service call and charge us for what is actually an incomplete install.

With this news I got in the action and called DirecTV corp. tech support and got a very sympathetic csr who escalated the job to an unfinished install and credited my folks for their missing service. In the meantime I went up to take a closer look and discovered this damage.
We don't do stucco installs. Period. No I dunderstand that ion certain areas of the country this can severely limit dish placement. The reason why wqe don't mount dishes on stucco is there is far too much liability. And from the photos it is easy to see why we avoid them. We don't do stucco wall penetrations either. Period.
Now if the customer wants to sign away their rights to complain or make a claim against the tech or anyone else, they can have the dish installed on stucco. We will not guarantee against damage, leaks, or anyhting else for that matter. The customer that ok's a stucco job is completely on their own.
he damage depicted in the photos is terrible. The installer is negligent. If it were my home, you can bet the national debt of a small country the tech and his employer will paying up to fix the daamge.

Document document document, get as many photo's as you can, have three diferent stucco guys come out to look at it and give you estimates to include potential damage to the brick / mortar of the chimney and for painting, call the insurance company and talk to them aswell and make sure to not loose the paperwork for everyone that has come out from that install company.

Poor install, poor judgement, and obviously he didn't understand what a strut arm is supposed to do. :\ Good luck resolving this!

i hope they fix that and replace that white wire.......its not supposed to be used outside......period.......at least that is what i was told when i worked for Dish

The problem is that if they pay for any repairs they are going to require that the Dish be moved to another location, and with your clay tile roof there is very few options available.

Im really surprised the installer didn't get some white caulk and atleast try to fill in the cracks so his mistake was not as obvious.

Call the company that did the install first to complain about the installation and see what they are going to do before you turn this over to Directv and file a formal complaint.

As a DISH Network dealer who does over 1000 new installations per month, we can't please everyone and get a few complaints here and there. The ones who call the office with their issue and explain their situation I usually will bend over backwards to make sure they are taken care of properly.

The ones who want to go directly to the top and make a big stink with DISH Network, where DISH Network has to send me the complaint, get resolved but I do not bend over backwards for those people like I would for the ones who contacted me first!

In other words its only going to get the contractor mad at you and less willing to work with you if they get the complaint from Directv without contacting them first!

I have seen a few almost as bad. What grinds me is the visits to customer properties were just listed as "service call"........reattach cable or dish or whatever. In the little world of HSP installations they think once the job has reassigned that person id responsible for the repair.........guess not.

Besides...this situation is what insurance is for............ask for the name & number of the General Liability insurance carrier. You want the dish removed and the wall fixed. Then you want the dish put back......as Charper1 mentioned the monopoles need to be redone also. Everyone has a first day and this is what happens. New employees need more supervision.

Joe

As it stands now we're waiting till they come back and we'll see what they're wantin to do about it. We have an alternate place to mount the dish not on the stucco. So if they move it, re-wire, and fix the damage, then all is good. Have one masonary guy comin' to estimate, maybe will call some more.

A not so professional HD upgrade done on my folk's house. Anyone know what we should do to have DirecTV fix the broken chimney? Stucco over red brick on the spanish tile roof of a two story house. I thought they don't do stucco installs but they did and f'ed it up bad.

That ashame, really piss poor workmanship

Not against the OP but you pictures need to sticked so people can stop asking tech to install on stucco.

You definitely need an EXPERIENCED installer to install on stucco.

In your case, the dish is installed too close to the edge of the chimney, especially for the "monopole" anchor . It should be moved about 24 inches to the right.

Succo installs can be done by experienced insytallers.

As far as installs on stucco, in the West it is not the same as stucco in Florida. It depends on what stucco is placed over. In Florida, stucco is placed directly on concrete block. In that case, there is a strong substae to install on with Tapcons, Togglers or other types of wedge anchors.

In the Western United States, stucco is installed onto "chicken wire" stretched over "tar paper" stapled over 2x4 vertical wooden studs, usually made of Douglas fir and placed on 16 inch centers.

In all cases, the stucco, itself, is NOT strong enough to support any dish. The screws must be fastened to the wooden studs below. In the photos, the installer used plastic screw shields.

The center of the second stud from the corner of the wall must be found. I prefer to use a 1/16" diameter piece of piano wire snipped off of an "insulation hanger" to drill into the stucco. Allowing for stucco to be about an inch thick +3/4 inch + 16 inches to the left, you should be able to find the wood of the stud. Locate the edge and move 3/4 inches either to the right or the left to find the center of the #2 stud. Using a level, draw a plumb line with a pencil up some 3 feet above the location where you plan to mount the dish foot. Place the mounting foot with the two center holes vertically centered and mark, then drill two 5/16 inch pilot holes trough the stucco. Using a 1/4 inch bit drill at least two inches into the wood stud below. Place sealant in the hole and drive in 4 inch long 5/16" lag screws.

Plumb the mast, and tighten the bolts. About 7 inches down from the top of the mast, place a 24 inch level with the end on the wall, while maintaining the bubble level. Mark the wall at the previously drawn vertical line. Center the level against the wall and draw a level horizontal lint on the wall. On this horizontal line, place two more vertical pencil marks 16 inches on each side of the long vertiical line.

Assemble the "monopole" braces on the mast at the 7 inch line from the top of the pole. Make sure the slots on the other end of the "monopole" mounting flange will allow lag screws to be driven into the vertical center of the two adjacent studs.

Tighten the "monopoles," while makeing sure that the pole is plumb. I magnetic fence post level is a good item to have for this purpose.

Install the dish and peak.

This is the proper way to install on stucco that is on a wood framed house.

Unfortunately, they have priced the experienced installers out of the market. Instead, the HSP's have opted for inexperienced low pay "Kids" right out of high school, without any specialized training.

Last edited:
That is, indeed, a pitiful excuse for a dish installation! The two stabilizer support arms are doing PRACTICALLY NOTHING as far as supporting the antenna! Not to mention the damage to the chimney! That's awful.

That is, indeed, a pitiful excuse for a dish installation! The two stabilizer support arms are doing PRACTICALLY NOTHING as far as supporting the antenna! Not to mention the damage to the chimney! That's awful.

The kid flunked third grade science.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts