How do I get Dolby 5.1 on my 522 DVR?

feffer777

Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
I just switched from Comcast Cable to SBC Dish (EchoStar) and wonder if I can receive Dolby Digital sound on my 522 receiver. I have a Sony DE 585 A/V receiver connected to the 522 with a digital audio (optical) cable. The 522 is set for PMC or Dolby Digital.

It seems that most broadcasts do not carry the Dolby Digital signal. Do I need to get an HD (811) receiver to get DD? Sometimes my A/V unit shows PMC; is this basically a stereo signal? When I set my A/V unit to DD Prologic II, I get very good sound on my surround system occasionally, but most of the time, the 2 rear surround speakers are very muted and distorted. What's happening here, is this a broadcast signal issue or is something wrong with my setup? How do others set up their 522 to get the best result with a surround sound system?

DD is only available on a few channels. HBO, SHOWTIME & STARZ and some of the PPV channels.

Welcome...

Welcome feffer777,

Question 1:
Yes, you can receive DD 5.1 but, like n0qcu said it's only a few channels.

Question 2:
Yes, the PCM you see is 48k, 16bit, stereo audio. This will never really be comparable to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, or DTS, the discrete multi-channel surround is far superior and is where everything will eventually move.

Question 3:
This issue with your surround speakers is most likely caused by what the program is broadcasted in.

As for my setup:
I have my 522 connected with the optical SPDIF and S-Video to my Sony STR-DE995. I usually use the Neo:6 Cinema surround processor for 6.1/7.1 but Dolby Pro Logic I & II sound good on most true stereo broadcasts.

I also have the TV2 tuner A/V outputs going into the same receiver. I can get pretty decent simulated surround from those too. Maybe you should do an A/B test between the audio hook ups and see what you like better.

Good Luck!

Your options do get slightly better with an 811. Several of the HD channels broadcast DD 5.1 regularly. Also, depending on where you live, some of your local digital stations may broadcast DD 5.1. Here in Boston, the ABC station does regularly. (I gotta say, that Lost show looks and sounds really good in HD / DD 5.1.)

Thanks, also an additional question!

Thanks, everyone for the info. Before I switched from Comcast, I got their HD box just to see how it looked and we loved CSI and a few others that were in HD; great picture and sound! My current TV1 is a 34" HD Panasonic with 4:3 aspect. It's a transition set which will become TV2 after the prices come down a bit and we get a wide screen HD set for the living room.

I want to keep my 5.1 sound system in the living room, add the wide screen TV and move the current set to the TV2 location. I suppose the 811 box then goes in the living room with TV1 and the 522 box gets moved to the TV2 location. Is that right? Can I record HD programs on the 522, then or do I lose the HD signal in recording? What is the best way to set up the 811 and 522 boxes?

No, the 522 should go near the "better" TV, since S-Video and DD optical outputs are provided only for the TV1 output.

I have a 522 and an 811. Both boxes are located in the living room (where the HD TV and audio receiver are situated). The TV2 output is wired to the bedroom, which is just a conventional TV.

The 522 cannot tune to HD channels. You simply won't see them in the guide and you can't record them, unfortunately. For that, you need to get a 921 or hook up a VCR or equivalent to the 811.

I understand what you guys are saying about DD only being broadcast on a few channels, of which I subscibe to none. But what about say Monday Night Football. When the show starts they are always proud to hype the fact that it's being brought to you in Dolby 5.1, but my A/V receiver still says PCM. Why does it not come through in 5.1? Is it because E* chooses to strip the 5.1 from the signal?

ibleedblue said:
I understand what you guys are saying about DD only being broadcast on a few channels, of which I subscibe to none. But what about say Monday Night Football. When the show starts they are always proud to hype the fact that it's being brought to you in Dolby 5.1, but my A/V receiver still says PCM. Why does it not come through in 5.1? Is it because E* chooses to strip the 5.1 from the signal?
The Station that E* gets MNF from would have to be passing Dolby5.1 first, then E* would have to pass it thru...

Most local affiliates have outdated equipment. For instance of my "local ota's" vhf only 1 has stereo ... the uhf weak static filled "locals" have 3 in stereo (one of which is in spanish and it has the best PQ and sound of any of them. btw. my "locals" are from Albuquerque via local translators.

Also, DD requires more bandwidth, even if just a little extra, than regular PCM, doesn't it? They're not about to sacrifice any more bandwidth than is absolutely necessary.

You local affiliate, if they are broadcast the DD 5.1 are ONLY broadcasting it on their HD digital channel. It can't be done on an analog SD channel. Dish & Directv locals are the SD channel so neither dish nor direct even get a DD signal for the local station.

also something of note is that most of the local markets. dish picks up OTA with a regular antenna basicly then it gets routed up... its just analog locals most dont even get digital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)