How do I hookup HD and satellite feeds into bedroom?

mallu2u

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Folks:

I am upgrading to 522 so that I can DVR functions in my bedroom as well. I currently have a 510. I am also planning to buy a HD TV for my room.
I currently have one HD feed going into my basement. How do I send HD feed to my room? The pre-existing cabling in the house might be used for satellite (522 connection)..what about HD feed? To summarize:

TV1- OTA thru antenna plus Dish. Two RF outputs here.
TV2- Will add 522 here & a HD TV. One RF output here. Therefore dish guy shall probably use pre-existing cables for 522. Then how should I get OTA here as well?

- Pull cable from basement OTA into bedroom. Will not be preferred since too much cable and work for me. Also, dont even know how to run cable from basement to room.
- Split OTA feed and then use pre-existing cable into bedroom for OTA. Then how does dish guy supply cable into room for 522? His problem??

Can someone offer suggestions? Thanks

The best thing to do is use the pre-existing cable to use for the antenna. I would not use diplexors on the lines because they lose to much dB and if you ever want to use a preamp for the OTA antenna you will have to ditch the diplexor and run a new line anyway. The installer is responsible for running the coax to what ever room you want your receivers to. Sure its all ways nice to make it easier for the tech but when it gets in the way of what you want then thats when its time to look out for number one.

well said...was thinking along those lines as well. :D

BrettTRay said:
The best thing to do is use the pre-existing cable to use for the antenna. I would not use diplexors on the lines because they lose to much dB and if you ever want to use a preamp for the OTA antenna you will have to ditch the diplexor and run a new line anyway. The installer is responsible for running the coax to what ever room you want your receivers to. Sure its all ways nice to make it easier for the tech but when it gets in the way of what you want then thats when its time to look out for number one.

The best thing to do is to try it with a diplexer and see how well it works for you. It is not a dish installers job to make your antenna feed for
OTA signal reach your bedroom because you want hd but are only buying/leasing an SD box. If you want that antenna feed in your room, either pay someone to run one or diplex it. This is like asking a plumber who is installing a new dishwasher to hook up you new garbage disposal you bought "because hes already there and has his tools out".

I'm not trying to be harsh here. Its just that i am an installer and everyone thinks that add-ons are my responsibility and usually they are not. For example. When i go to someone home to setup their plasma and receiver and program their remote; they will often happen to have a new vcr or xbox that they want me to "throw" into their system. They fail to realize that it costs money for the cables to integrate it, time we didn't bill them for, and time/expertise to program their remote that they didn't pay for.

Jon

j5races:

Dont know why you got the impression that I was going to ask the installer to do this for me. I am looking for advice as to how to do it and thats all. He shall take are of the SD stuff and I shall take care of the HD stuff. But I do need to plan right now so that I can accomplish my task efficiently.

"Split OTA feed and then use pre-existing cable into bedroom for OTA. Then how does dish guy supply cable into room for 522? His problem??"

Sorry thought you were saying that the dish installer owes you. My apologies if you were simply looking for a hookup suggestion.

That said, lets see what you need here,
Ok i re-read your post and I think you should split the OTA feed on the way to your basement and feed that to the input of whatever hd box or the HD input on your new HDTV in your bedroom. Then leave it up to your installer to run the TV2 feed from your 522 to your bedroom.

I think you would be happier if you skipped the 522 and get a 942 then you can put it in your basement and send the output to both tvs (with a Component video feed via a component dist. amp if both HD tvs are using component). You would need an IR repeater system or an RF capable remote to control the TV1 HD feed from you bedroom, but at least you could view HD recordings in both rooms ;)

Jon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts