How do I set up a home network?

lewie

Dec 15, 2011
Lake Elmo MN
I don't know much about networking. All I had was the desktop computer going right to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. Now I got my used TIVO 652160 with lifetime a few days ago and I figured I'd run an ethernet cable to it too.But this is where I get confused. I assume a router means wireless, right? So I figured all I needed was a switch, so I got an Asus GX-D1051 Gigabit five port switch assuming I could go from the modem to the switch, and then to as many as four computers to access the internet. The desktop still connects online through the switch, but the TIVO doesn't.Is this not what a switch is intended for? The Asus comes with no instructions and their website sux. Do I need to throw out the switch and get a router even though it's hard-wired?

Your problem is that your internet provider most likely only gives you one IP address and that is why your Tivo is not connecting. You really need to return the switch and purchase a router. The router does not mean wireless. There were many routers out there that did not do wireless when they first were introduced. Also the router has a built in firewall that will protect you more from internet attacks.

The router will get you around the issue of your ISP only allowing one IP address and provide you with more protection. If you don't want wireless in your house you can go into the configuration and turn it off which is what I would do if it is not going to be used or configured correctly.

Your problem is that your internet provider most likely only gives you one IP address and that is why your Tivo is not connecting. You really need to return the switch and purchase a router. The router does not mean wireless. There were many routers out there that did not do wireless when they first were introduced. Also the router has a built in firewall that will protect you more from internet attacks.

The router will get you around the issue of your ISP only allowing one IP address and provide you with more protection. If you don't want wireless in your house you can go into the configuration and turn it off which is what I would do if it is not going to be used or configured correctly.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is what you need.

Think of a router as the post office. It has to take all outgoing requests and route them to the appropriate destination and visa verse with income requests.

Welcome!! :welcome

Last edited:
I don't know much about networking. All I had was the desktop computer going right to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. Now I got my used TIVO 652160 with lifetime a few days ago and I figured I'd run an ethernet cable to it too.But this is where I get confused. I assume a router means wireless, right? So I figured all I needed was a switch, so I got an Asus GX-D1051 Gigabit five port switch assuming I could go from the modem to the switch, and then to as many as four computers to access the internet. The desktop still connects online through the switch, but the TIVO doesn't.Is this not what a switch is intended for? The Asus comes with no instructions and their website sux. Do I need to throw out the switch and get a router even though it's hard-wired?

:welcome to Satellite Guys! Hopefully the posts here will help you out.

Thank you all! Everything I read about was "how to set up your wireless router" and how complicated it seemed, when I'd read about ethernet, it sounded almost automatic. But none of them talked about switches. So, I assumed... I even tried going right from the modem to the TIVO, and all three methods of detecting the network, including putting in the same numbers that the computer uses, but no-go.
But with all your help, I'm learning. I just saw the Linksys E2000-RM IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Gigabit Advanced Wireless Router that Voyager was talking about for $35 at NewEgg. This oughtt'a do the trick, huh?
I'll let you know if I have any questions setting it up if I may. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)