How do you feel about championship rematches?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the Stanley Cup Finals now official- a rematch of last year's Penguins/Red Wings- that brings me to a topic in sports I've always been interested in- how do you feel about rematches in championships (i.e. when two teams play for a title one year and are back again the next year).

Some of us are familiar with such deja vu- Examples of this in the NBA Finals include Pistons/Lakers, Bulls/Jazz (Salsa covered the 1997 clash) and Lakers/Celtics (BillD remembers their 1984 and 1985 clashes- possibly 1968 and 1969)- I am also well familiar with the only Super Bowl rematch ever- the Cowboys vs. my Buffalo Bills.

There are two views to this:

On one side, there are those who like them- as a fan of a team, you probably would love to get a shot at the same team that beat you a year early, or you one to see two of the very best go at it again (i.e. boxing fans were surely thrilled when great fighters fought more than once).

On the other side, there are some who may be annoyed by seeing the same teams again, a sense of annoying deja vu, if you will (Do you think people who weren't Laker or Celtic fans in the 1980s felt, "Same teams again?!" Ditto for baseball fans outside of New York in the 1950s) or annoyed that your team has to face them again (as a Bills fan, I was scared at facing Dallas the second time- and I was right).

Here is my question- how do YOU feel about rematches for a championship?

You guys are familiar.

Bill, when your Celtics tried to defend their NBA title in 1984-85, did you want the Lakers or was there a part of you that said, "I'm bored of playing the Lakers all the time. Denver would be fun."

Lakers/Celtics (BillD remembers their 1984 and 1985 clashes- possibly 1968 and 1969)

Hey now, I may be old, but I'm not THAT old! :eek: ;) :D

But to answer your question, I think it's kinda cool. A championship rematch intensifies an already intense series.

I think it's a positive thing!

A rematch brings more attention to the 2 teams and the sport in general, usually a welcome thing. I think when one team dominates a sport - Steelers in the 70s (and I'm Steelers fan!), Yanks in any decade - that becomes a negative for many...

BTW - Go Pens...!

Dont mind it, it will be intresting to see what the two young guns of the Pens will do in this series. They both have about 30 points, dont mind it at all. Need a couple of the wings to heal up!

Ditto! However, when not having a team involved in most cases I would not like to see a rematch...unless the match-up is something truly special.
Rematches are only good when the first series was really good like Chicago-Utah in the NBA Finals. Otherwise forget it. Did anyone want to see a rematch of the Spurs-Nets?

A rematch brings more attention to the 2 teams and the sport in general, usually a welcome thing. I think when one team dominates a sport - Steelers in the 70s (and I'm Steelers fan!), Yanks in any decade - that becomes a negative for many...

BTW - Go Pens...!

Yeah, that is what I think. The public saw them last year and now want to see if the losing team can get a little revenge. :D Which they will!!!!

I don't really care for rematches!

First of all its bad for the team that lost the year before, since many times it can feel like that they lost again even before the first game is ever played.

Second of all its if the team that won the year before now looses, I think you would feel worse than you did if you lost to another team.

If your team Wins, it does seem like a bigger win which is the only positive thing to come out of it.

The only rematch I would care to see would be the Cubs play the Tigers again in the World Series like they did back in 1945 and see history repeat again :)

I don't really care for rematches!

First of all its bad for the team that lost the year before, since many times it can feel like that they lost again even before the first game is ever played.

Second of all its if the team that won the year before now looses, I think you would feel worse than you did if you lost to another team.

If your team Wins, it does seem like a bigger win which is the only positive thing to come out of it.

The only rematch I would care to see would be the Cubs play the Tigers again in the World Series like they did back in 1945 and see history repeat again :)

Put if I'm not mistaken, The Pens WON last year ....

Oh wait, you mean the Wings won last year, thats NOT what NBC said ...
Once again it sounds like the Pens have already won ....

Never thought I'd say it, but I thrilled that the next two are on VS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts