How do you feel about purists in sports?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
When I'm reading articles about certain things in sports, there's a word that comes up that separates old-school from new-school- Purists.

How do you feel about them when it comes to sports?

Personally, I'm not a fan of them.

During the dead-puck era, the NHL All-Star Game seemed to be the one and only occurence where a lot of goals could be scored. Every year, I read articles that bemoan the lack of defense and hitting and that there are too many goals.

Since when was speed and skill such a bad thing? Since when was hitting the most important thing in all of hockey?

If purists were ever drafting, they'd probably take a hard-hitting unskilled defenseman over a Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin.

They complained about the 14-12 game in 2001- some teams in that era couldn't score 26 goals in a month.

I had to put up with 1-0 or 2-1 games seemingly all the time. These purists get enough of that during the season- is it too much for them to see somebody actually PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET?!

First, they complained there was too much scoring, then they complained about the lack of scoring. Make up your minds!

Thank god the rules have changed, because at the time of the lockout, it was looking like these purists had killed the game that I love.

Baseball- I tire of people saying there's too much offense. I remember someone once said, "Bring back true baseball, Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale throwing a complete-game, four-hit, 2-1 ballgame." They actually thingk it's fun to see only four hits all game and see everyone swinging at air? I guess they want to go back to the days where teams barely hit .200? Remember 1968? If someone actually hit a homer, it felt like a miracle. There is no such thing as a 0-0 win. I like a pitchers duel every now and then, but I don't want them 162 times a year. YOU NEED TO SCORE TO WIN!

Basketball- These people can't stand teams that like to dunk, shoot threes, and want to score. Isn't the object of basketball to put the ball in the net more times than the other team?

I think there is a difference between purist and old school. To me, purist want the games...regardless of the sport...to go back to it's orginal rules and concepts.
Old school, are about the players doing things the old fashion way...hustle, play out your contract...and not complain about what others make. Personally, I deal alot better with old school guys than purist. Purist cannot get through their head that the game...again, regardless of the sport....has evolved and with it, changes have to be made to protect the players well being and the huge financial investments that these owners make.

Basketball - There is more defense played now than when I was a kid. Scores would always be 135-130.

Baseball - I don't want 1-0 games every other games again but I also don't really like 15-14 games either.

I'm sort-of-a-purist.

1) "dead-puck-era" Sabres? I think I know what you mean. I must be the only Devils fan alive that hates, HATES the trap. I can't watch regular season hockey anymore, due to it.

2) basketball - give me good passing over the NBA's latest version of "chuck and duck"

3) baseball - it's still pretty pure, to me, minus PED's. That's why they drive me so nuts.

4) football - college > NFL, for me. too much schedule and rule gimmicking in the NFL for my taste.

As a baseball "purist", I can't stand the designated hitter. That's a travesty. That just ain't baseball.

On the other hand, I had no problems with lowering the height of the mound to take away some of the advantages that power pitchers had.

And congrats to the Chula Vista, CA LLWS victors yesterday! :)

As a baseball "purist", I can't stand the designated hitter. That's a travesty. That just ain't baseball.

On the other hand, I had no problems with lowering the height of the mound to take away some of the advantages that power pitchers had.

On there with ya on the DH, it just added 15 new jobs/career extenders to the AL. I would love to got back to 154 games and start the regular season May 1st and end late October. This thing of having baseball games in late October when you are already getting "windchill facor" readings in the northern part of the country is for the birds.

And congrats to the Chula Vista, CA LLWS victors yesterday! :)

:up

NO DH!!! NO DH!!!

NO DH!
Or, for those that insist that they do not go to games to see pitchers hit, expand the baseball roster by 8 and allow for a DH team. Every single reason for allowing a pitcher to go without batting in a game can be extended to every position in the roster.

NO DH!
Or, for those that insist that they do not go to games to see pitchers hit, expand the baseball roster by 8 and allow for a DH team. Every single reason for allowing a pitcher to go without batting in a game can be extended to every position in the roster.

Yeah, Remember Bruce Benedict? Great catcher, but awful hitter.

The DH is stupid, of course.

Back to "purists". I consider myself one. What works, works. Blue skies, green grass, white uniforms.

I'm fine with progression in sports. Why be a stubborn ol' coot who's stuck in your ways, only to heed progress and improvement to the games we all love? Just doesn't make sense. If change is for the good, I'm all for it.

I guess I'm kind of a purist when it comes to sports. I don't see what we have today as an "evolution" of sports, but more of an ESPN-ification. It's amazing what the media can do to force new things onto the public and the sporting world.

If baseball games were always 3-2, and hockey games were back to 1-0 hard-hitting affairs, ESPN wouldn't be able to fill their "highlight" shows. I blame the whole idea of Arena Football on ESPN and the idea that, "if there aren't a lot of points, it must've been a boring game."

As a hockey fan I would never hate on someone who scores a lot of goals, but I do think the newer rules we are seeing have taken away the essence of what made hockey great in the 70's and 80's. Gretzky was always protected by his fellow players, the good players today are being protected by an avalanche of rules. You can see this by taking a quick glance at the stats: there were 7 players with 100+ PIM in 1983 alone on the Oilers, whereas the Pens had 2 last season. To me the former makes for a more exciting and balanced game.

Then again I am a soccer fan first and foremost, so I have seen how exciting a game can be that ends 0-0. Most people cannot.

As a hockey fan I would never hate on someone who scores a lot of goals, but I do think the newer rules we are seeing have taken away the essence of what made hockey great in the 70's and 80's. Gretzky was always protected by his fellow players, the good players today are being protected by an avalanche of rules. You can see this by taking a quick glance at the stats: there were 7 players with 100+ PIM in 1983 alone on the Oilers, whereas the Pens had 2 last season. To me the former makes for a more exciting and balanced game.

Back in the day of Gretzky; every player wasn't wearing basically lightweight military body armor. A player would think before he went made a stupid or foolish act like taking a shot at someone's knees, head or wherever, because of the possible consequences he might face or his teammates might face from the opposition. Now, due to the overprotective equipment and the sissy rules of a 2 minute penalty here or there; the players have no fear to use stick work or retribution from the other team. Basically the enforcers of today, are just actors; unlike the enforcers of then, whom would give you a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

I am a so called purist I guess. I hate the DH. I think it takes away from a good managers ability to use his skills in juggling a lineup when necessary. I also think it allows a pitcher who will not bat to much freedom as it relates to going after (hitting) batters. I personally enjoy a 1-0 pitchers dual. I also do not inter-league play. I know I am in the minority there but I believe it takes away from the World Series.

I gave up watching the NBA. It doesn't resemble any basketball I know and love.

Football is an interesting one. While I do believe they need to protect the QB I just wonder if they have gone to far. I mean, Johnny U, Bart Starr, Joe Montana, and many others performed just fine with the older rules. I do think they have sacrificed defense for offense. But, that is what draws the fans I guess.

I am a so called purist I guess. I hate the DH. I think it takes away from a good managers ability to use his skills in juggling a lineup when necessary. I also think it allows a pitcher who will not bat to much freedom as it relates to going after (hitting) batters. I personally enjoy a 1-0 pitchers dual. I also do not inter-league play. I know I am in the minority there but I believe it takes away from the World Series.

I agree with you 100%!:up

I think there is a difference between purist and old school. To me, purist want the games...regardless of the sport...to go back to it's orginal rules and concepts.
Old school, are about the players doing things the old fashion way...hustle, play out your contract...and not complain about what others make. Personally, I deal alot better with old school guys than purist. Purist cannot get through their head that the game...again, regardless of the sport....has evolved and with it, changes have to be made to protect the players well being and the huge financial investments that these owners make.

He pretty much said it for me. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts