How do you FTP Files To AZbox

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
How do you Upload or FTP Files to the Azbox? I have tried a FTP Pro program I have several times but it keeps saying failed to send file? Do you send it to the IP address on the Azbox or is there another way? Do you have to press the www.url button on the Remote to prepare AZbox to receive the FTP files.

Also will this NEW LIST re (DVBS and Antenna List) of 46 Western Satellites automatically replace my existing LIST of 125 Satellites? That is how / where does the NEW Sat List show up on the Azbox?

How do you Upload or FTP Files to the Azbox? I have tried a FTP Pro program I have several times but it keeps saying failed to send file? Do you send it to the IP address on the Azbox or is there another way? Do you have to press the www.url button on the Remote to prepare AZbox to receive the FTP files.

Also will this NEW LIST re (DVBS and Antenna List) of 46 Western Satellites automatically replace my existing LIST of 125 Satellites? That is how / where does the NEW Sat List show up on the Azbox?
Try this. I hope it helps.

I use gftp on Linux with no problem. It might be that you need to use passive FTP. You are suppose to use the Azbox IP address when sending to or receiving from the Azbox. Yes, the files that you upload should overwrite the existing files unless you're prompted if you want to skip, resume, or overwrite the existing files on the Azbox. I always select overwrite.

i use filezilla and it works 100% every time. i had similar issues using filezilla where the file transfer failed. after a LOT of frustration i smartened up and used the search function on one of these forums and did some reading and found the answer. filezilla has a "quick connect" feature to send file to an ip address. your program may have something similar. i just typed in the ip address that i get from the az into the "host" box, the "username" is "root"and the password is "azbox". i leave the "port" box empty. then click on the blue "quickconnect" button and it connected to the az. just note if you have your az connected to the internet via a router your az ip address may change if dhcp is enabled on the router so just check the az ip address every time you want to send/receive files.

not sure if ftp has to be enabled on the az or not. it's a menu choice on the az somewhere.

Last edited:
Jsattv.

I use both Filezilla and MaZEdit 3.0.

Remember the following for your FTP/TelNet Client server:

HOST = "IP address" of the AZBox
USER = "root"
Password = "azbox"
FTP port = "21"
TelNet port = "23"

Remember thes rules for your AZBox SETTINGS > "INTERNET":

NETWORK: WiFi or WIRED
IP SETTING: DYNAMIC (DHCP) or STATIC
IP ADDRESS: AZBox IP address selected and assigned by you (192.168.XXX.XXX)
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: ROUTER IP address
DNS1: Your internet providers gateway or "Dynamic Name Server" address
DNS2: Ignore this in most cases, just leave at defualt. It is used when you have multiple internet service providers or accounts.

Remember these rules for your AZBox SETTINGS > "NETWORK SERVICE":

SSHD: SEE NOTE 1
FTP SERVER: ENABLED
FILE SERVER: ENABLED
DYNAMIC DNS: SEE NOTE 2
TELNET SERVER: ENABLED

NOTE 1: This item may be set to either enabled or disabled, you would need to be more familiar with LINUX systems than I am to be able to utilize it fully and properly.

Excerpt from wikipedia... Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged using a secure channel between two networked devices.[1] The two major versions of the protocol are referred to as SSH1 or SSH-1 and SSH2 or SSH-2. Used primarily on Linux and Unix based systems to access shell accounts, SSH was designed as a replacement for Telnet and other insecure remote shells, which send information, notably passwords, in plaintext, rendering them susceptible to packet analysis.[2] The encryption used by SSH is intended to provide confidentiality and integrity of data over an unsecured network, such as the Internet.

NOTE 2: This item in the menu is not necessary for general use. If you select it to be ENABLED, that is fine, but you don't need to set up the settings unless you are really savvy with networking devices and servers. This item is not required for the applications that most of us would normally utilize.

Excerpt from Wikipedia: Dynamic DNS is a method / protocol / network service that provides the capability for a networked device, such as a router or computer system using the Internet Protocol Suite, to notify a Domain Name System (DNS) name server to change, in real time, the active DNS configuration of its configured hostnames, addresses or other information. A popular application of dynamic DNS is to provide a residential user's Internet gateway that has a variable, often changing, IP address with a well known hostname resolvable through standard DNS queries.

Personally, I set all the options in NETWORK SERVICE menu to ENABLED, whether I use them or not. You do not have to apply the setup for FILE SERVER and DYNAMIC DNS to be able to use the FTP or TelNet servers.

More to come in future posts.

RADAR

Last edited:
Dynamic DHCP vs STATIC IP addressing

I personally prefer to set up my system to use STATIC IP addressing.

Because of the way Filezilla and MazEdit and other FTP clients operate, you want to maintain the IP address of your AZBox as the same address and never changing or being reassigned. It just makes life a little easier. Otherwise, you have to keep checking the IP addres of your box to enter that into the FTP client setup or force your router to go around that DHCP stuff somehow.

When doing so, you may want to set your router and your PC up to disable the DHCP feature for both. I have been using two computers and two routers on the same link to my AZBox to test this whole strategy. One router and PC set up with DHCP enabled and the other system with it disabled. There is a slight difference, but it really isn't that important. On the system with DHCP enabled, I find that my FTP Client server (Filezilla or MaZEdit) frequently stop communicating with the AZBox when they are idle, without notice. When I want to resume the communication path, I have to tell the FTP CLient to disconnect and then reconnect to re-establish the connection. It is not a huge concern, but it can be annoying at times. The other system, with DHCP disabled, remains fully connected at all times, unless otherwise interrupted by me or by another program.

If you are well versed in networking systems, I would recommend that you set everything up to use static IP addressing only (DHCP disabled). If you are just a common PC owner and user, I wouldn't bother with doing this unless you wish to learn more about networking and routers and how everything works. It is a good experience for you, but not exactly necessary.

Just a note, the system never disconnects the communication link while it is actively being used. That only occurs when the comm link has been idle for some time. Therefore, you do not need to fear that your work in progress will suddenly be cut short. It only disconnects the comm link during idle times.

RADAR

MaZEdit Notes

If you can get MaZEdit 3.0 to quit crashing on your system ( :eek: ) you will find that it has a lot of really excellent perks that you can use.

It does not work well as a channel or satellite editor, so, until Morser comes out with a new revision, I woudn't bother with its editing functions too much. Unless you like to be prematurely gray or bald with nervous clicks and facial twitches and tourretets syndrome!

However, it works really slick to accomplish a few other things that you cannot do with other FTP or TelNet clients.

Setting up recording events / timers, capturing screen shots, downloading your channel lists to view, transferring video, audio and photo files and things of this nature are really great! Also, you can create and alter/edit file folders with it quite easily. I think it works superb for this.

One word of caution, if you install MaZEdit, do not create a short cut to the file on your desktop if you have windows vista. It won't always find the language library and comes up in Spanish only and cannot be altered. Install the exe file in your PROGRAM FILES directory with all the supporting library files and when you open the application, go to the PROGRAM FILES area to access it. It is quirky that way on vista. My system on the PC with windows XP is fine in this regard, so it is a compatibility issue with Vista (Hah! Imagine that!).

RADAR

Last edited:
FileZilla vs MazEdit 3.0

For transferring files, like video/audio/photo files, either one of these apps work just fine.

I think that MazEdit 3.0 is more user friendly (when it isn't crashing). MaZEdit is laid out to be specifically geared to the AZBox. Filezilla is more of a universal FTP client program. Therefore, it just goes to reason that some of the menu features in MaZEdit appear more logical in regards to what you are tyring to accomplish with the AZBox.

It has been a long time since MaZEdit has fouled up on me (or crashed). I don't know what I did to deter this negative action, other than to keep downloading the application and keep trying it over and over again. It has been perfectly stable for me for many months now and I use it several times a day to perform all sorts of operations.

Filezilla works all the time with all sorts of devices. I have never had it crash or lock up on me during any application. It is an exceptional application program and I reccommend it very highly.

Like I said earlier, FileZilla is a universal program, so its menus are more generically presented than MaZEdit's menus are. So, you have to kind of learn your way around instead of having the options presented to you right out front.

I use both programs to support my AZBox and I am very pleased, with both.

RADAR

Last edited:
File Transfers of channel/satellite lists

You may use any FTP client server app to do this, FileZilla or MaZEdit or other, if you understand where the files are going to and what format you put the files in.

You need three files:

all_channel.dat

antenna_list.dat

DVBS.dat

First, your files must be converted to *.dat format before being downloaded to the AZBox and they must have the proper nomenclature. The LINUX system is highly critical of the characters and it is CASE sensitive as well, so every aspect of the filename has to be exact. Then, you have to know what directory to install them in, they reside in the file folder /DISK2. There is a backup on file at /DISK1 for one or more of these files.

Someone here on the AZBox forum wrote aup some instructions to follow for installing NEW channel files (look at the posts regarding AMERICANIZE or NORTH AMERICANIZE YOUR SAT LIST, HAVE YOUR OWN SAT LIST or one of the other recent posts for details). I cannot recall which post it was contained in, but it was fairly recent.

RADAR

Last edited:
You may use any FTP client server app to do this, FileZilla or MaZEdit or other, if you understand where the files are going to and what format you put the files in.

You need three files:

all_channel.dat

antenna_list.dat

DVBS.dat

First, your files must be converted to *.dat format before being downloaded to the AZBox and they must have the proper nomenclature. The LINUX system is highly critical of the characters and it is CASE sensitive as well, so every aspect of the filename has to be exact. Then, you have to know what directory to install them in, they reside in the file folder /DISK2. There is a backup on file at /DISK1 for one or more of these files.

Someone here on the AZBox forum wrote aup some instructions to follow for installing NEW channel files (look at the posts regarding AMERICANIZE or NORTH AMERICANIZE YOUR SAT LIST, HAVE YOUR OWN SAT LIST or one of the other recent posts for details). I cannot recall which post it was contained in, but it was fairly recent.

RADAR

Thanks for the great info mr3p, johnnynobody,beavs2112, Babadem, and especially Radar - thank you for the absolutely amazing and detailed posts. Looks like a lot of info, so before going any further I am going to reread all the Posts carefully. Funny thing I remember seeing /creating the Antenna_list .dat and the DVBS.dat files, but I don't remember seeing the all_channel.dat list - guess I'll check again. Radar, re that MazEdit program I'll double check but I think B.J. sent or steered me to it. If not I think he said is it available from the AZBox web site?

Last edited:
HI all, sometimes I find a basic text based ftp program to be useful for trouble shooting login problems. If you are using a windows box there is one available from the DOS box. The usage goes something like this:

ftp 192.168.2.3 (use the correct address for the AZbox) Username: root Password: azbox

You should now be logged on and can use the DIR command to list the files on the AZbox. If you want to download a copy the command is: get filename (use the full name of the file you want to download)

To upload use: put filename

That should get you started, DC

anyone ever use ws_ftp95 to ftp files?
Reason I ask is I found the program in one of my old computers and just got it to work on windows 7 here.
It seems to connect to the internet but now i need to learn how to find the azbox or if it will even work with the box.

I got it to work, forgot that I needed to enable the boxes under "Settings- Network Service", once I did I was able to connect fine but the file list is like greek to me.
FZ Client seemed like a more detailed directory, something like 25 folders in the azbox. Now I need a teacher! No idea what the heck I'm doing....

Remember these rules for your AZBox SETTINGS > "NETWORK SERVICE":

SSHD: SEE NOTE 1

NOTE 1: This item may be set to either enabled or disabled, you would need to be more familiar with LINUX systems than I am to be able to utilize it fully and properly.

Excerpt from wikipedia... Secure Shell or SSH is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged using a secure channel between two networked devices.[1] The two major versions of the protocol are referred to as SSH1 or SSH-1 and SSH2 or SSH-2. Used primarily on Linux and Unix based systems to access shell accounts, SSH was designed as a replacement for Telnet and other insecure remote shells, which send information, notably passwords, in plaintext, rendering them susceptible to packet analysis.[2] The encryption used by SSH is intended to provide confidentiality and integrity of data over an unsecured network, such as the Internet.

Radar,
If this is set to enabled would this not allow someone else to send or change files in your azbox?
ie... I'm having problems, I contact you and give you the settings to connect to my azbox, you should then be able to make the changes for me.... ???????
If I am set up on a secure network through a router if you have the password then it seems like the party you give the info to should be able to make changes... yes?

anyone ever use ws_ftp95 to ftp files?
Reason I ask is I found the program in one of my old computers and just got it to work on windows 7 here.
It seems to connect to the internet but now i need to learn how to find the azbox or if it will even work with the box.

Yes, that's the program I use. I think I'm using a version 4.01 that I've been using ever since I was running Windows 95, and think it's one of the easiest programs to use.
Just put the IP# of your Azbox in the Host Name box, put root in the User ID box, and azbox in the Password box. I think everything else is default.

Radar,
If this is set to enabled would this not allow someone else to send or change files in your azbox?
ie... I'm having problems, I contact you and give you the settings to connect to my azbox, you should then be able to make the changes for me.... ???????
If I am set up on a secure network through a router if you have the password then it seems like the party you give the info to should be able to make changes... yes?

Stargaze,

I would think that having it ENABLED would render it MORE secure so that others couldn't access your AZBox file system. I don't quite understand it, I would have to learn some more about this SSHD.

Of course, if you are using a router with a protected system, they cannot get past that point unless they are close enough to WiFi directly to your AZBox.

:confused:

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)